Help Clob choose a DVD-RW

OK... Time has come for me to buy a DVD-RW drive. I want somthing that is not going to break down on me and will write disks with ease.

I will be using this for storage and movie burning mostly. Any ideas?

What exatly is dual layer?

<font color=red>"Battling Gimps and Dimbulbs HERE at THGC"</font color=red>

"<font color=blue> Wusy</font color=blue> <-Professional sheep banger"
20 answers Last reply
More about help clob choose
  1. Cant blame me for throwing that in can ya?!?!? I was googleing it while I typed it you darn sheep banger!

Maybe I was looking for a little user advice! GRRR!

2. The green texet! Yeah I hate it. It seems as if it takes the integrity from the posts now...

3. Wusy stole the integrity from the posts years ago...

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
    And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
    So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
  4. Quote:
    NEC 3540A+modded firmware

So whats the mod? Or is it just updated firmware?

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?pid=21597#p21597" target="_new">My Rigs</A>
  5. Fantastic, all I need to know now is if there is a difference between the 3540A and the 3540???

Is <A HREF="http://www.dabs.com/uk/productView.htm?quicklinx=3P1X" target="_new">this</A> the same as the 3540A?

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?pid=21597#p21597" target="_new">My Rigs</A>
  6. Look at some plextor drives, or Nec like everyone said. LiteOn and TDK look at them and see if you like them. from my experience plextor seems to be good, and nec, i owned previous products by them two and they seem very good. However becareful with LG, it's probably a good company, but i had a cd-rom and it was slow considering it could read 52x cd. I noticed the speed difference when i was installing software and other stuff. In my DVD drive it was nice and fast, but not on the LG. I'm sure LG as improved there engeneering or maybe they haven't. read reviews before you buy an LG.
  7. wow, didn't know that, it just to me, LG is a bit hard to trust. it could be that because they not as popular or well known as other dvd rewritebles or cd writeables. anyways what is it with NEC for some reason its not displaying all it's dvd-rw models in there website. like for exmaple in new egg the model apears as NEC product with model number ND-3540A, but that is not listed on the website. either this model is old, or it's not avaible in the U.S. or something else. The website that i think is NEC website is www.NEC.com, unless i'm wrong.
  8. if you tried to go to the one that i went to, you would see what i was talking about. but it seems like i been goign to the wrong website all alonge.
  9. The only reason that i knew that kind of model existed is when i saw it no newegg. so i had no idea it existed when i went to NEC.com website. but it's good you pointed me to there. But it seems the website you gave only talked about the speed about the drive and what kind of media it supported but not writing of the technology that this drive has. ON well i guess i'm gonna have to find some other website that has all the details. By the way, do you own one of these drives? if you do, how has it been working for you?
  10. how did the modded firmware change it? does it read better? write better?
  11. I forgot to mention, if you bought this retial what was the software or bundle that it came with?
  12. lol, i heard some reviews from newegg that the software was bad. what is RPC-1?

is this the correct defination:
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    RPC-1 term is used to refer to PC's DVD-ROM drives that were built before 1st of January, 2000.

Before that date, virtually all DVD-ROM drives permitted the user to change the region code settings of the drive freely when necessary, thus allowing watching/using DVD-Video movies from all over the world.

This was changed when the MPAA forced hardware manufacturers to implement a new technology, dubbed as RPC-2 in their drives, that only allows max. 5 changes in the region code.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

if it is, than this drive is pretty good.
  13. lol, by the way how do you respond so quickly, do you look at your e-mail, or do you check regularly every 10 minutes or something.
  14. I bought it anyway. It rocks.

15. did you get it yet, or you just did an order online? when you install it, tell me how it goes?
  16. Err, it went absolutely fine. Flashed it with a modded BIOS (see wusy's link) and it's running AOK, no region issues and DVD decrypter loves it :D

17. Oooooh, you cynic!!! I only use it to transfer them to my hard drive so I can stream them across my network to watch on TVs around the house ;)

18. Plextor is where its really at. Adjustable laser intensity, tilting laser to stay 90 degrees with the media, awsome over burning features, burns 8x media and 16x, burns dual layer at 6x. And so many features included in plex tools. I'v had the PX-716A for about 6 months now and its awsome. It replaced an LG that I had and no complaints from me. It just lacks features. And incase you didn't find out about dual later...It is basically like having 2 DVD's squished togher. The laser I believe intensifies itself to burn into the second layer that is just behind the first, making for 8.5GB of capacity.
  19. Cool.. Went out and picked it up... Burns quick and no coasters yet!

20. <i>Err, it went absolutely fine. Flashed it with a modded BIOS (see wusy's link) and it's running AOK, no region issues and DVD decrypter loves it :D</i>

WTF? i can burn [-peep-] with it with out any region codes, and play that sh*t anywhere in the world? (using the modding)
    i live overseas, and the prices are exagerated here, so i thought to get a DVD burner from the US and use it here. but pal and ntsc do'nt work together (a**holes!)
Ask a new question

Read More

DVD Writers DVD RW Font Storage Product