What in the world is Advantgo?

October 7, 2004 4:23:38 AM

Will it work with a Palm VIIx and what is it? I hear so much about it.
If its a web cache type of program will it work with everywebsite?

John

More about : world advantgo

Anonymous
October 7, 2004 4:36:53 AM

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 00:23:38 -0700, John <johnw_94020@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Will it work with a Palm VIIx and what is it? I hear so much about it.
>If its a web cache type of program will it work with everywebsite?
>
>John

Googled: http://www.avantgo.com/frontdoor/learn_more.html
October 7, 2004 10:10:28 AM

Avantgo is a good tool that downloads your specific channel information to
your device and allows you to read it when you are offline / undocked. You
subscribe to channels of interest that are located on the Avantgo site and
will run into some others not on the site such as edmunds.com and Our Daily
Bread.

For me it takes an additional minute or less for the synchronization.

"John" <johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Will it work with a Palm VIIx and what is it? I hear so much about it.
> If its a web cache type of program will it work with everywebsite?
>
> John
October 7, 2004 12:35:41 PM

# John
> Will it work with a Palm VIIx and what is it? I hear so much about it.
> If its a web cache type of program will it work with everywebsite?
>
> John

It grabs websites and formats them so that they appear on your palm when
you hotsynch.

'Plucker' is a better alternative IMO

--
Toby
Anonymous

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 08:35:41 +0100, Toby Newman <google@asktoby.com>
wrote:

># John
>> Will it work with a Palm VIIx and what is it? I hear so much about it.
>> If its a web cache type of program will it work with everywebsite?
>>
>> John
>>

>It grabs websites and formats them so that they appear on your palm when
>you hotsynch.
>
>'Plucker' is a better alternative IMO

John.....iSilo is another to consider. Depending on what your needs
are perhaps and I have not played much with Plucker. I download
websites every day with iSiloX to read offline with iSilo. I was never
real happy with Avantgo as the syncs seemed to take forever. :(

http://www.isilo.com/

http://www.isilox.com/
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 12:35:42 PM

Toby Newman <google@asktoby.com> writes:

> 'Plucker' is a better alternative IMO

While plucker is "better" (and is what I use), avantgo will produce
much more readable "palm-formatted" pages by default (and is, therefore,
MUCH EASIER TO USE, because you don't have to screw with things to get a
readable palm-formatted page).

--
Darryl Okahata
darrylo@soco.agilent.com

October 9, 2004 9:30:39 PM

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 07:35:47 -0700, Darryl Okahata wrote:

> While plucker is "better" (and is what I use), avantgo will produce
> much more readable "palm-formatted" pages by default (and is, therefore,
> MUCH EASIER TO USE, because you don't have to screw with things to get a
> readable palm-formatted page).

That's a completely false statement. If you point Plucker to the
same exact URL that AvantGo uses, you get much better content in Plucker.

Why? Because Plucker supports much more capabilities with regard
to how the content is rendered. Anti-alias fonts, many more internal font
selections, DIA/high-resolution support (not supported by AvantGo),
options for how you colorize links (found and unfound), and so on.

As an aside, AvantGo _preprocesses_ web content, through their
proxy servers. _ALL_ requests for HTML content go through the AvantGo
proxy servers, where it is stored and processed (as required) for you and
other users that may request that same content. This is a HUGE security
risk, especially if you consider that you are never told that a URL you
are trying to get to through AvantGo is captured, stored, and
retransmitted to you.

Also, the Plucker project, mostly through my research and
contributions, has significantly more PDA-sized urls and links available
on the OpenURLs portal than AvantGo has ever had at their peak.

Use whatever works, just try to report the facts next time.
October 10, 2004 8:34:40 AM

Do have a link for this list of pda-friendly content? I can't find anything
on the Plkr site or by doing a google for OpenURL. Thanks...

--
tim@palmzone.net
http://www.palmzone.net

"David A. Desrosiers" <hacker@gnu-designs.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.10.09.21.30.39.100081@gnu-designs.com...
> On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 07:35:47 -0700, Darryl Okahata wrote:
>

>> While plucker is "better" (and is what I use), avantgo will produce
>> much more readable "palm-formatted" pages by default (and is, therefore,
>> MUCH EASIER TO USE, because you don't have to screw with things to get a
>> readable palm-formatted page).
>
> That's a completely false statement. If you point Plucker to the
> same exact URL that AvantGo uses, you get much better content in Plucker.
>
> Why? Because Plucker supports much more capabilities with regard
> to how the content is rendered. Anti-alias fonts, many more internal font
> selections, DIA/high-resolution support (not supported by AvantGo),
> options for how you colorize links (found and unfound), and so on.
>
> As an aside, AvantGo _preprocesses_ web content, through their
> proxy servers. _ALL_ requests for HTML content go through the AvantGo
> proxy servers, where it is stored and processed (as required) for you and
> other users that may request that same content. This is a HUGE security
> risk, especially if you consider that you are never told that a URL you
> are trying to get to through AvantGo is captured, stored, and
> retransmitted to you.
>
> Also, the Plucker project, mostly through my research and
> contributions, has significantly more PDA-sized urls and links available
> on the OpenURLs portal than AvantGo has ever had at their peak.
>
> Use whatever works, just try to report the facts next time.
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 7:17:59 PM

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 04:34:40 GMT, Tim@PalmZone.net had this to say...

<http://openurls.plkr.org/index.php/PDA%20Sized%20Websit...;

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson

# Tim@PalmZone.net
> Do have a link for this list of pda-friendly content? I can't find anything
> on the Plkr site or by doing a google for OpenURL. Thanks...

fwiw, Plucker deals very well with non-pda friendly content if you tweak
Plucker Desktop a little.

--
Toby
Anonymous

"David A. Desrosiers" <hacker@gnu-designs.com> writes:

> On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 07:35:47 -0700, Darryl Okahata wrote:
>
> > While plucker is "better" (and is what I use), avantgo will produce
> > much more readable "palm-formatted" pages by default (and is, therefore,
> > MUCH EASIER TO USE, because you don't have to screw with things to get a
> > readable palm-formatted page).
>
> That's a completely false statement. If you point Plucker to the
> same exact URL that AvantGo uses, you get much better content in Plucker.

No, it's not "completely false". While what you wrote is true, it
is missing the point, which is:

For many (most?) avantgo-enabled web sites, avantgo will produce
better output than plucker, and it's easier to use (get palm-
friendly versions of web sites).

Now, I love plucker, and I wish that this was not true (and please note
that I wrote, "avango-enabled web sites", and not "web sites in
general"). Big issue #1 is:

Many avantgo-enabled web sites only allow access to avantgo
subscribers (other people -- like plucker users -- are denied
access to those sites). I have heard (but do not know for sure)
that avantgo partner sites are contractually bound to only allow
avantgo subscribers access to avantgo-versions of their sites.
For that matter, try even locating the avantgo-version of a web
site -- it's not something regular users will even attempt to
do.

Big issue #2 is:

For your average user (not power plucker users), avantgo is
easier to use, if for no other reason that avantgo maintains an
up-to-date list of avantgo-enabled web sites. Avantgo users can
simply select a list of sites to download, and that's it (but
they are, of course, limited to avantgo-enabled sites, unlike
plucker users).

> Why? Because Plucker supports much more capabilities with regard

No disagreement there.

> As an aside, AvantGo _preprocesses_ web content, through their
> proxy servers. _ALL_ requests for HTML content go through the AvantGo

No disagreement there.

> Also, the Plucker project, mostly through my research and
> contributions, has significantly more PDA-sized urls and links available
> on the OpenURLs portal than AvantGo has ever had at their peak.

And where might I find this list? On www.plkr.org, I could only
find a reference (via the FAQ) to the plucker 1.0 user's guide, which
dates back to 2000, and contains many links which no longer works.

--
Darryl Okahata
darrylo@soco.agilent.com

October 11, 2004 6:37:22 PM

I wrote:

> Big issue #2 is:
>
> For your average user (not power plucker users), avantgo is
> easier to use, if for no other reason that avantgo maintains an
> up-to-date list of avantgo-enabled web sites. Avantgo users can
> simply select a list of sites to download, and that's it (but
> they are, of course, limited to avantgo-enabled sites, unlike
> plucker users).

I just saw Jim Anderson's reference to:

http://openurls.plkr.org/index.php/PDA%20Sized%20Websit...

If this were to be mentioned in the plucker web page, documentation, or
FAQ, it would nearly eliminate "big issue #2".

--
Darryl Okahata
darrylo@soco.agilent.com

October 11, 2004 7:30:40 PM

Tim@PalmZone.net wrote:

> Do have a link for this list of pda-friendly content? I can't find
anything
> on the Plkr site or by doing a google for OpenURL. Thanks...

http://pdaportal.com/
http://209.221.153.18/smallsites/
http://www.rkcomputer.com/palm/
http://www.myportico.com/
http://www.eboogie.com/

There are many others besides these.
--
Wonderfalls unaired episode quote of the day:

"This fondou is meaningless. It mocks everyone at this table!"
? Jaye in "Muffin Buffalo"

Roberto Castillo
robertocastillo@ameritech.net
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 12:30:12 AM

Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com> wrote in message news:<vwwtxxkkbx.fsf@mina.soco.agilent.com>...
> I wrote:
>
> > Big issue #2 is:
> >
> > For your average user (not power plucker users), avantgo is
> > easier to use, if for no other reason that avantgo maintains an
> > up-to-date list of avantgo-enabled web sites. Avantgo users can
> > simply select a list of sites to download, and that's it (but
> > they are, of course, limited to avantgo-enabled sites, unlike
> > plucker users).
>
> I just saw Jim Anderson's reference to:
>
> http://openurls.plkr.org/index.php/PDA%20Sized%20Websit...
>
> If this were to be mentioned in the plucker web page, documentation, or
> FAQ, it would nearly eliminate "big issue #2".

Also, there is http://www.pdaportal.com. It has over 600 "PDA
friendly" links with different languages, and I believe is still
sporadically updated.
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 6:16:44 PM

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:30:12 -0700, John Newsome wrote:

> Also, there is http://www.pdaportal.com. It has over 600 "PDA friendly"
> links with different languages, and I believe is still sporadically
> updated.

Most of them ripped from OpenURLs, which had the full 800+ sites for the
last two years. I expected that my contribution would spread around,
which is exactly why I made my personal collection of PDA-sized URLs
public on OpenURLs.

I'll be redoing the whole wiki/portal thing on OpenURLs soon anyway.
October 13, 2004 5:03:41 AM

Why am I prompted for a userID and password to access that list of
PDA-friendly content?

--

"Jim Anderson" <fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 04:34:40 GMT, Tim@PalmZone.net had this to say...
>

>> Do have a link for this list of pda-friendly content? I can't find
>> anything
>> on the Plkr site or by doing a google for OpenURL. Thanks...
>>

> <http://openurls.plkr.org/index.php/PDA%20Sized%20Websit...;
>
> --
> Hope this helps.
> Jim Anderson
> ( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
October 13, 2004 5:03:41 AM

I run the MobileWeb site index. http://mobileweb.palmzone.net. I just
recently redid the whole thing to be more interactive where it tracks
popularity of sites, lets people easily report broken links (or even suggest
the correct URL if they know it), shows you recently added sites, popular
sites, etc.

MobileWeb was started by me for personal use when I couldn't find ANY
mobile-friendly link sites out there. I found all the links the "hard way"
by decompiling PQA's (remember those Palm Query Applications from the OS 4
days?), emailing webmasters at sites I knew had Avantgo channels, etc. I
decided to make it public and the list has grown since. I now access it as
much or more from my cell phone than from my PDA.

Had I known this list of 800 sites existed already and was freely available
to anyone who wanted to look at it, I probably wouldn't have spent so much
time on MobileWeb. I guess that's water under the bridge at this point.

What I'm trying to do with MobileWeb is to find a good balance between
listing a ton of links while organizing them in a logical fashion. I have
categories and then subcategories (for more specialized content like
foreign/regional/local news or weather sites, etc.). What I intend to do
after the popularity rankings have a chance to settle in (this is a brand
new feature), is to place the most-used sites on the main category pages and
put the less-used sites in subcategories.

Quite frankly, I'm completely baffled as to why the big search
engines/Directories have not started their own mobile-friendly site indexes.
Heck, webmasters are paying these guys big bucks just to get them to *look*
at their sites and consider adding them. Plus they have all the robust
hardware and spidering technology to grab them and organize them and rank
them all automatically. Yahoo has started this for WAP sites, but not for
general mobile-friendly sites.

Wow, this is getting long... is anyone still with me? ;-) We need an
internet standard META tag that denotes mobile-friendly content pages. Then
the "experts" could spider all this, filter out the garbage, rank it, and
serve us up what we are looking for. Until then I'm going to keep updating
MobileWeb because I use it myself :-)

--

news:p an.2004.10.12.18.16.44.820649@gnu-designs.com...
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:30:12 -0700, John Newsome wrote:
>
>> Also, there is http://www.pdaportal.com. It has over 600 "PDA friendly"
>> links with different languages, and I believe is still sporadically
>> updated.
>
> Most of them ripped from OpenURLs, which had the full 800+ sites for the
> last two years. I expected that my contribution would spread around,
> which is exactly why I made my personal collection of PDA-sized URLs
> public on OpenURLs.
>
> I'll be redoing the whole wiki/portal thing on OpenURLs soon anyway.
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 5:38:25 AM

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 01:03:41 GMT, Tim@PalmZone.net had this to say...

> Why am I prompted for a userID and password to access that list of
> PDA-friendly content?
>
> --
> tim@palmzone.net
> http://www.palmzone.net
> Check out the new fully interactive, community-based PalmZone.net!

Never did before I even was there just before posting to verify it was
still valid. The owner, I assume David A. Desrosiers, must have just
implemented it.

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 10:15:53 AM

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 01:03:41 +0000, Tim@PalmZone.net wrote:

> Why am I prompted for a userID and password to access that list of
> PDA-friendly content?

I'm going to be cleaning it up a bit, dropping it into a new
interface, which is hopefully going to be MUCH more interactive. Once that
is done, I will move the authentication restrictions back out of the way.

It is a temporary stopgap for the short term. Sorry for the
inconvenience.
!