5.1 from pc to tv to receiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

russellito

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
My question is: Whats the best way to get multichannel audio from my PC, thats currently hooked up to my TV via HDMI?
Onboard audio does not have digital out, only analog. The HDMI connects to video card (radeon 4670), and carries audio, but i'm not sure if it carries 5.1 or more. I also want to hook up DVD player and DVR, but if I can get 5.1 from computer I can just trash the DVD player.
I have no receiver, speakers. I am not an audiophile. I just want to hear good surround sound from movies, TV.
My target is $200, don't really want to spend more than $300.

...I just posted in the other thread (CPU section I think).

The 4xxx series has an onboard chip that carries up to 7.1 PCM audio (uncompressed). If quality is not a concern, just use that and output Audio/Video over the cards HDMI output.

If you want more high end audio, any soundcard with DDL/DTS-C support should do fine (Auzentech: Forte, Prelude ASUS: DX, D2/D2X, Essence STX).

If you want a Home Theatre card (probably not in this case), the ASUS HDAV1.3 and Auzentech Home Theatre HD both support 7.1 audio and video over the cards HDMI output (the GPU would supply the video input in this case).

Status
Not open for further replies.