A cautionary tale of how GW staff treat customers.......

A man walks into GW in Meadowhall Sheffield with 280 pounds to spend on
figures..........

In the store a member of staff is chasing the only customer ( a munchkin)
around with a toy lightsaber whilst his erstwhile companion looks on. This
is a 'Band A' store by the way.........

They look sheepish at being caught but the customer goes to browse quietly
whereupon the 'straight man' of the two hapless staff comes over and starts
with a conversation which goes;

ADAM (let's call him that to save his identity) : ' What you looking at
today ???'

Customer : ' spreading hands to take in the vista of obvious and somewhat
limited products availabe) ' Let me see.... icecream ??' (grins)

ADAM : Yer, well if you want owt just shout yeah ?'

Customer: 'OK'

ADAM : 'And if you ever talk to me like that agin it'll be the last time you
walk in this store'

Customer : beep beeep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep ' Hello,
is that Games Workshop Lenton.....ah good I'd like to comment on your
Sheffield Meadowhall store, in particular the conduct of Adam M(censored)
and threats made by the same.

Well folks, that little customer relations boo boo cost GW £280.00 in solid
sales, the money being frivolously spent thereafter in Waterstones and The
O'Neil Shop wher the staff actually like to make money. With staff like that
GW has no chance of turning around it's fortunes.

Hey,

> if you ever talk to me like that agin
> it'll be the last time you walk in this store

Ah, the tragedy of Midichlorian Deficit Disorder . . .

I'll add this one:

There are a couple of GW stores in local(ish) shopping malls.

(Hindsight is 20/20; the result of this combination is inevitable)

I noticed the GW logo on a storefront while visiting one such mall.

I decided I'd ask if they had the (then) new BfM box.

It was like walking into a day-care facility. Or a cattle pen.

The cubical venue measured approximately 20ft a side.

And there were *at least* 20 children in the place.

There were also two red-shirted adults present.

The haggard babysit...er...Staff.

A Redshirt shouldered toward me through the scrum.

[Tones of Terminal Depression] "Pickin gup or droppin goff?"

I had to smile at the Janine Melnitz quote from 'Ghostbusters':

It looks nice in the brochure, but I don't envy them their jobs.

Playa

--

" It is hopelessness even more than pain that crushes the soul."
- William Styron

Well, that's Yorkshiremen for you, I suppose...

Philip Bowles

seems to be GW polecy then
here in holland.. if you dont buy you ll be treaded badly

"Snarfgargle the 43rd The Condottiere" <snargargle@thepalace.com> schreef in
bericht news:HDQee.8974$a9.5899@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

"Dappere Dodo" <dd.suykerbuyk@zonnet.nl> schreef in bericht
> seems to be GW polecy then
> here in holland.. if you dont buy you ll be treaded badly

You think so? I've browsed a couple of times in Amsterdam (Rokin) but was
never treated badly. In my experience, if you don't need the staff, they
leave you alone there.

"Jonathan v.d. Sluis" <nospam@nospam.nl> schreef in bericht
> "Dappere Dodo" <dd.suykerbuyk@zonnet.nl> schreef in bericht
> > seems to be GW polecy then
> > here in holland.. if you dont buy you ll be treaded badly
>
> You think so? I've browsed a couple of times in Amsterdam (Rokin) but was
> never treated badly. In my experience, if you don't need the staff, they
> leave you alone there.

ow i never go to A'dam

more like den haag which not SO bad any more
but Rotterdam how ever....

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea pbowles@aol.com said

> Well, that's Yorkshiremen for you, I suppose...

You mean there's an English to Snarfgargle dictionary?

--
Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.

Damn right

Megadodo Publishing Corporation publish it over the ethernet

Snarfgargle the 43rd The Condottiere wrote:

> ADAM (let's call him that to save his identity) : ' What you looking at
> today ???'
>
> Customer : ' spreading hands to take in the vista of obvious and somewhat
> limited products availabe) ' Let me see.... icecream ??' (grins)
>
> ADAM : Yer, well if you want owt just shout yeah ?'
>
> Customer: 'OK'
>
> ADAM : 'And if you ever talk to me like that agin it'll be the last time you
> walk in this store'

So, the shopman asked you a perfectly valid question, and you got all
snarky on him. And he got annoyed, hmm imagine that, sales clerks are
people too.

Snarfgargle the 43rd The Condottiere wrote:
> A man walks into GW in Meadowhall Sheffield with 280 pounds to spend on
> figures..........

Bah. Typical.

> Well folks, that little customer relations boo boo cost GW £280.00 in solid
> sales,

Warmachine! Flames of War!

Hell, even Starship Troopers would be a better choice.

BTW, if you're still pissed, *write* GW HQ and lay the thing out. You
might get the little punk swapped out for a less snotty fellow.

\-|-/
| A.K.D. F.E.M.C.

Estarriol

Distinguished
May 29, 2004

"John Hwang" <JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com> wrote in message
> Snarfgargle the 43rd The Condottiere wrote:
>> A man walks into GW in Meadowhall Sheffield with 280 pounds to spend on
>> figures..........
>
> Bah. Typical.
>
>> Well folks, that little customer relations boo boo cost GW £280.00 in
>> solid sales,
>
> Warmachine! Flames of War!
>
> Hell, even Starship Troopers would be a better choice.

But he just sold his Starship Troopers stuff.

> BTW, if you're still pissed, *write* GW HQ and lay the thing out. You
> might get the little punk swapped out for a less snotty fellow.

Nahhh it was a salesperson in MeadowHell, its easier to find customers than
staff for there.....

--
estarriol

It would have been reasonable if the tone itself had not been sarcastic
bub........

and let me assure you I KNOW all about running and owning and working in a
game store ......and how GW trains its staff and what it, as a corporate
entity expects
"Brion K. Lienhart" <brionl@lienhart.name> wrote in message
> Snarfgargle the 43rd The Condottiere wrote:
>

>> ADAM (let's call him that to save his identity) : ' What you looking at
>> today ???'
>>
>> Customer : ' spreading hands to take in the vista of obvious and somewhat
>> limited products availabe) ' Let me see.... icecream ??' (grins)
>>
>> ADAM : Yer, well if you want owt just shout yeah ?'
>>
>> Customer: 'OK'
>>
>> ADAM : 'And if you ever talk to me like that agin it'll be the last time
>> you walk in this store'
>
> So, the shopman asked you a perfectly valid question, and you got all
> snarky on him. And he got annoyed, hmm imagine that, sales clerks are
> people too.

Lasrt time that happened the guy gor tranferred 40 miles away........

Indeed........

I could tell you a really funny story about Meadowhell and its hijinx but
not here ;) :)

Theres no allegation of what I said.......... it was said.

Myrmidon wrote:

> Sure, I'd agree that there are clueless and annoying customers, but then
> again I know there are clueless and annoying nitwits in retail too.
> Having worked in retail and judging by the description of the original
> insident, I'd stand by my comments.

I work in retail now. Going by Snarg's previous posts and displayed
attitude, I stand by my comments that he overreacted. I see them all the
time, people that are rude to the staff, but get outraged if somebody
takes exception. They're usually yelling at the teenage girl running the
cash register.

A retard that spends a LOT of money in the hobby, and who KNOWS the hobby as
a business too............. the type you despise. But hey don't confuse me
with Ji........

:)

You have to laugh

Oh and Myr. they have black shirts now mate............ to make them a
harder target to acquire LOL

Now, conversely I went to the Gaming Centre 600 yards away from Meadowhell
at 9PM......... note the time and that the staff must have been pretty
pissed by that time.

The service and banter were 100%, A1, witty and intelligent.

They got £180 from me such was my satisfaction as a customer...... True it
goes to GW anyway but it reflects on the stats for that particular branch.
So as you can see the approach to the customer DOES matter eh ???

Indeed Myr..........

had he just acknowledged me and not tried to cover for the fact that he and
his buddy were chasing a kiddy with toy lightsabers ...............

Book stores and dedicated game stores have the same basic pitfalls with
regards to customers. Anyone ho has worked with either for any amount of
time (20 years or so in my case) soon learn an amount of empathic
understanding of customers.....

Snarfgargle wrote on Mon, 09 May 2005 10:20:16 GMT:

> Now, conversely I went to the Gaming Centre 600 yards away from Meadowhell
> at 9PM......... note the time and that the staff must have been pretty
> pissed by that time.
>
> The service and banter were 100%, A1, witty and intelligent.
>
> They got £180 from me such was my satisfaction as a customer...... True it
> goes to GW anyway but it reflects on the stats for that particular branch.
> So as you can see the approach to the customer DOES matter eh ???

So your original post wasn't accurate then, the £280 wasn't all spent at
Waterstones and O'Neils. Or is this personality #2 who's posting now ...

:p

Dan

No indeed I spent a total of £320 that day on books , DvD's and surf
gear..........

Then had a trip to the GC the following night and spent another 180 there on
Tyranids, High Elves and a couple of army books Spack my dear.... :)

Mind you that spent me out for this week...... :(

It was a cold day in September when Myrmidon entered the world pub known as
rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...

> After all, 'clueless
> customer's money' isn't any LESS valuable than 'smart customer's money'.

Actually it tends to be MORE valuable as they normally will spend more of it
on unrelated items that they think go with what they want.

> Sure, I'd agree that there are clueless and annoying customers, but then
> again I know there are clueless and annoying nitwits in retail too.
> Having worked in retail and judging by the description of the original
> insident, I'd stand by my comments.

I see you aren't lowering your "standerds" when it comes to talking about
the "insident"...

(I think today is going to be a good day)!
--
Jim M

"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)
"The only game I like to play is Old Maid - provided she's not too old." --
Groucho Marx

http://jimac.tripod.com

Snarfgargle wrote on Mon, 09 May 2005 10:40:42 GMT:

> No indeed I spent a total of £320 that day on books , DvD's and surf
> gear..........
>
> Then had a trip to the GC the following night and spent another 180 there
> on Tyranids, High Elves and a couple of army books Spack my dear.... :)

OK, so it was 9PM *the next day*. See, you missed that bit, which is why
people are beginning to think you missed stuff out of your original post ...

> Mind you that spent me out for this week...... :(

Week? I wish I had that much money to blow on junk weekly. As it is I'm
trying to balance my much reduced expenditure via eBay with paying for my
wedding and a re-mortgage :\

Dan

Well the wife pays the mortgage and bills and my money is purely for our
pleaseure and gratification spack. Though of course this week I'll have
around £200 instead .....what with holiday savings..... (watch out GW Truro
.... August is spending month :) )

However I may stockpile it for a month and have a proper
spend..........After all I have TWO of the new Tyranid army deals (bought
one from Wargamestore.com on Friday) and the High Elves to paint :( poor me
eh ??

It was a cold day in September when Snarfgargle the 43rd The Condottiere
entered the world pub known as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...

> Indeed Myr..........
>
> had he just acknowledged me and not tried to cover for the fact that he and
> his buddy were chasing a kiddy with toy lightsabers ...............
>
> Book stores and dedicated game stores have the same basic pitfalls with
> regards to customers. Anyone ho has worked with either for any amount of
> time (20 years or so in my case) soon learn an amount of empathic
> understanding of customers.....

That is a very true statement, I remember working in my shop when I had it
and being able to tell by a persons body language if they wanted to browse
quietly or if they needed more direct help. I was rarely wrong in either
case. The casual browser would get eye contact and a friendly wave or hello
if I didn't make eye contact. The person that came in looking like a deer
caught in headlights would generally get help of a more direct sort.

The best way for him to have covered about the light saber though would have
been to ask you if you had seen them yet, and proffer it for your
inspection.
--
Jim M

"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)
"The only game I like to play is Old Maid - provided she's not too old." --
Groucho Marx

http://jimac.tripod.com

TRENDING THREADS