Hello gals n gents.

heya!
i'm new to warhammer 40k, going to use eldar for my first army, got
myself a eldar guardian box and have already finsihed one of the
mini's.
i also got the codex.
but, one thing that still makes me wonder.... how do i learn how to
play? lol

i mean, must i buy the "Starter box" with all the space marines in it?
or is there a book somewere?

a friend of mine sorta showed me about combat, so i think i got that
understood, plus the point system, think i know enuf to make a army,
just, unsure about everything else, if there is any heh.

anyway, greetings to all, and i hope i can contribute to this group in
a long term way :)

talk to ya'll later.

In article <1115608377.837897.256160@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
Hybrid-Lord, SirHybrid@gmail.com Varfed out the following in Timo
speak...
> heya!
> i'm new to warhammer 40k, going to use eldar for my first army, got
> myself a eldar guardian box and have already finsihed one of the
> mini's. i also got the codex.

Well you're off to a good start. Read the codex a couple of
times. Then, once you have an idea of which eldar force (there's a
variety of eldar 'craft world' forces and others with their own
strengths and weaknesses) - try your hand at making an army list. Once
you've made an army list - post of list of the units. (you don't need
all their stats just number the of minis in the unit, special items and
points cost for the unit) Once you've checked out the feed back, then
(hopefully) you'll have a good idea of what units to add next to your
growing army.

Also, to make the task of working out an army list a bit less time
consuming (especially for beginners) - there's a nifty piece of software
called 'army builder' available at the web site below. There's even a
demo version that will let you build small armies (max 500 points) so
you can try it out and see if you like the program.

http://www.wolflair.com/

> but, one thing that still makes me wonder.... how do i learn how to
> play? lol

Read the rules, read them again, and then muttle your way through
a few games and ask rules questions here or on any one of a number of
good web based forums like 'Dakka' or 'Bolter & Chainsword' that have
tons of experienced players.

> i mean, must i buy the "Starter box" with all the space marines in it?
> or is there a book somewere?

You're in luck. You've got two options - there's a large hardback
book with all the rules (about 70+ pages of rules) and a good bit of art
and background material. There's also the 'mini-rulebook' that comes in
the "Battle for Macragge" starter boxed set. The mini book has the
core rules, and just a tiny fraction of the art and background stuff. If
you're going with Eldar, skip the boxed set. I *think* you can order
the small rule book seperately from GW, but I know you can get it off
Ebay seperately if GW isn't selling them. Unless you really want all
the extra stuff - save your money for minis and buy the small book
first. You can always snag the big book later. (I'm sure they'll appear
on ebay at a discount eventually.)

> a friend of mine sorta showed me about combat, so i think i got that
> understood, plus the point system, think i know enuf to make a army,
> just, unsure about everything else, if there is any heh.

Oh there's plenty to learn, and of course things will almost
certainly change a bit as rules are clarifed or altered over time.
(They always are.)

> anyway, greetings to all, and i hope i can contribute to this group in
> a long term way :)
>
> talk to ya'll later.

One more pointer - but this is an important one. To get the most out of
your posts on RGMW, you'll want to read the FAQ (fequently asked
questions) on...

www.rgmw.org

They're a sort of 'rules of the road' and will help you find answers and
get along with other folks here. For example you'll notice I've placed
my reply text *UNDER* your (quoted) text. This is called bottom posting
and is the prefered standerd here as it lets folks read from top to
bottom in one go rather than jumping all over the place. You'll also
notice a lot of the posts have tags like [40K] - as in Warhammer 40K, or
[WFB] as in Warhammer Fantasy Battle, in the subject line. These tags
help folks know at a glance what the subject of your post is - rather
than the unclear 'Rules Question' or 'Army list help?' that could be
from any of a number of GW systems.

Welcome and I hope that helps (and again, read the FAQ).

Later,

Myrmidon

--
"I'm already impoverished from buying wargames minis,
and I'm too knackered for riotous living..."

-- Moramarth

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

It was a cold day in September when Myrmidon entered the world pub known as
rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...

> This is called bottom posting
> and is the prefered standerd here as it lets folks read from top to
> bottom in one go rather than jumping all over the place.

DAMN! I didn't know we had a "standerd".

I am glad you answered his post Myr (aside from getting to jab you about
your "standerd" comment). When I read the original post, I think my eyes
started to bleed from the lack of the use of the shift key.
--
Jim M

"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)
"The only game I like to play is Old Maid - provided she's not too old." --
Groucho Marx

http://jimac.tripod.com

*Grin*

It's not the fact i dont use it, i jsut dont bother myself with it :p

anyway, lol, as far as rules go, i have 2 choices.
1. buy the 50 euro book
2. learn from friends.

hmm.

anyway, thanks for the welcome, i already finished 1 eldar guardian,
almost finished the second one.
i picked an easly color set aswell, seeing i kinda wanna get playing
asap, then worry about "depth".
simple skull black undercoat, with enchanted blue secondary color(armor
+ guns), with a few details here n there.

as for an army, i always wanted to use swooping hawks, and
wriethguards. the tanks and walkers are really neat, but, not something
i "truely" want atm.

i'll keep thinking of what to build army wise, tips for a neat swooping
hawks army would be nice :) thanks in advnace.

"Hybrid-Lord" <SirHybrid@gmail.com> wrote in message
> *Grin*
>
> It's not the fact i dont use it, i jsut dont bother myself with it :p
>
> anyway, lol, as far as rules go, i have 2 choices.
> 1. buy the 50 euro book
> 2. learn from friends.
>
> hmm.
>
> anyway, thanks for the welcome, i already finished 1 eldar guardian,
> almost finished the second one.
> i picked an easly color set aswell, seeing i kinda wanna get playing
> asap, then worry about "depth".
> simple skull black undercoat, with enchanted blue secondary color(armor
> + guns), with a few details here n there.
>
> as for an army, i always wanted to use swooping hawks, and
> wriethguards. the tanks and walkers are really neat, but, not something
> i "truely" want atm.
>
> i'll keep thinking of what to build army wise, tips for a neat swooping
> hawks army would be nice :) thanks in advnace.

Well if your looking for wraithguard and swooping hawks, you could invest in
the codex:craftworld eldar and take a Craftworld Iyanden Eldar army, this
would give you the option of taking more wraithguard squads, altough any
guardians squad you have would become either elites or heavies. Can't see a
way of getting more than 3 squads of swooping hawks (if 3 ain't enough, well
tough).

What troops have you already bought?

Jode
;)

"Hybrid-Lord" <SirHybrid@gmail.com> wrote in message
> *Grin*
>
> It's not the fact i dont use it, i jsut dont bother myself with it :p
>
> anyway, lol, as far as rules go, i have 2 choices.
> 1. buy the 50 euro book
> 2. learn from friends.
>
> hmm.

Yes... If your friends have the 4th edition book, let them help you out as
much as possible.
Eventually, you will probably want to go ahead and get the book, but the
longer you wait, the cheaper it will be.

> anyway, thanks for the welcome,

Yes. Thank you, Myr.

Now, let's recap the most important part of Myr's post, shall we?

[...]

And from myself: "Welcome, Hybrid Lord. Read the FAQ"

Sir Scott "Gently..." McDaniel