Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Asus G60Vx or Dell Studio 17

Tags:
Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
November 4, 2009 6:27:53 PM

hello all. i'm having an extremely difficult time deciding which laptop to get. i've never owned a laptop before, but the one i get will be replacing my desktop for the next year or so. i'm looking to do some moderate gaming on it, such as things like Borderlands or Left 4 Dead 2, maybe Mass Effect 2 when it comes out. below are the two setups. price isn't really a factor, but i would like to get the better deal

Asus G60Vx-RBBX09 $1199
Processor: Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53GHz
Display: 16" 1366x768 LED back-lit LCD
HDD: 320x2 7200 rpm
Graphics: 1G Nvidia GeForce GTX260M

Dell Studio 17 $1439
Processor: Core 2 Duo T9600 2.8GHz
Display: 17.3" 1920x1080 LED (can be downgraded to 1440x900, subtracting $150 from above total)
HDD: 320 7200 rpm
Graphics: 1G ATI Mobility Radeon HD4650 (can be overclocked to match HD4670)

everything else is about the same with the configuration i have on the dell. thank you!

More about : asus g60vx dell studio

a c 244 D Laptop
November 4, 2009 7:13:16 PM

Hello and welcome to the forums :) 
I would choose the G60 because GTX 260M is a lot more powerful than HD 4650 in gaming
m
l
November 4, 2009 7:17:14 PM

Maziar said:
Hello and welcome to the forums :) 
I would choose the G60 because GTX 260M is a lot more powerful than HD 4650 in gaming

thank you for your reply and the welcome :) 
this is also what i was thinking, but wasn't sure if others would feel the same.

anyone else have an opinion?
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
November 4, 2009 7:29:26 PM

I agree with Maziar. The only downside to the Asus is the low screen resolution.
m
l
November 4, 2009 7:31:41 PM

lostandwandering said:
I agree with Maziar. The only downside to the Asus is the low screen resolution.

agreed. i think that's pretty low res which is why it's such a toss up.

basically it's high res with moderate gfx card or low res with pretty decent gfx card :( 
m
l

Best solution

a b D Laptop
November 4, 2009 8:01:23 PM

mrvirginia said:
agreed. i think that's pretty low res which is why it's such a toss up.

basically it's high res with moderate gfx card or low res with pretty decent gfx card :( 

Another way to look at it is that you can buy a pretty decent high res monitor with the $200 you save by not going with the Dell . :sol: 
November 4, 2009 8:10:51 PM

lostandwandering said:
Another way to look at it is that you can buy a pretty decent high res monitor with the $200 you save by not going with the Dell . :sol: 

haha see that's what i mean by not knowing much about laptops :kaola: 
didn't know they would go up past their resolution if it was hooked up to another monitor! so you just taught me something new, thank you. and i already have a really high res monitor :D  so i guess that's pretty much settled. i'd rather carry around a slightly smaller notebook with a better gfx card and just hook up to a monitor when i'm at the house.

thanks again guys, you've been a lot of help!
m
l
November 4, 2009 8:17:48 PM

lostandwandering said:

actually i was informed by the tech guy here that it depends on the vid card driver or the monitor and that sometimes it will scale and sometimes i'll get black bars.

i would think i would get black bars, since the Asus is 16:10 and my monitor is 16:9, correct?
m
l
November 4, 2009 9:42:21 PM

i was wrong about the Asus being 16:10. it is actually 16:9. just got back from checking out both models (different specs) in the store and the Asus is a beauty. i almost creamed my pants haha. the Dell is a little too big. i loved the palm rest and touchpad on the Asus. i think i'd be much more comfortable using it over the Dell. and if it won't scale up to my monitor perfectly, oh well. ordering on Friday :) 

thanks again, dudes!
m
l
a b D Laptop
November 5, 2009 1:41:33 AM

Glad to help. And with the monitor, just go into the NVidia control panel and you can set up dual monitors and adjust resolutions independently. It shouldn't be an issue.
m
l
November 5, 2009 1:53:42 AM

lostandwandering said:
Glad to help. And with the monitor, just go into the NVidia control panel and you can set up dual monitors and adjust resolutions independently. It shouldn't be an issue.

sweet :D  didn't know you could do dual monitors either. that's gonna be awesome. pretty stoked now haha
m
l
a c 244 D Laptop
November 5, 2009 5:52:42 AM

Yup you can get a external monitor and set up dual monitors as logan said :) 
Hope You'll enjoy your new notebook
m
l
!