regedit.exe /s : does it return with an exit code?

Hi,

does anyony know if regedit.exe, called to process data from an input
reg file, returns with a sensible exit code?
I'd like to know if reg file data was processed successful or not.

Example:
regedit.exe /s mydata.reg

if errorlevel 1 echo "error while processing reg file..."

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Andy
3 answers Last reply
More about regedit return exit code

    Multipost; response in microsoft.public.scripting.wsh

    Please don't multi-post.
    http://www.aspfaq.com/etiquette.asp?id=5003

    and

    Multiposting vs Crossposting

    and

    What is the accepted way to share a message across multiple newsgroups?
    http://smjg.port5.com/faqs/usenet/xpost.html

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Then remove the /s switch.

    All the /s switch does is suppress these popups...

    Registry Editor
    [[Are you sure you want to add the information in path of .reg file to the
    registry?
    If the user clicks Yes, the user receives the following message:
    Registry Editor
    Information in path of .reg file has been successfully entered into the
    registry.]]
    How To Add, Modify, or Delete Registry Subkeys and Values by Using a
    Registration Entries (.reg) File
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310516

    Sounds like you want to see them.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:1122630774.533762.44750@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
    andy <andy_gk@t-online.de> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi,
    >
    > does anyony know if regedit.exe, called to process data from an input
    > reg file, returns with a sensible exit code?
    > I'd like to know if reg file data was processed successful or not.
    >
    > Example:
    > regedit.exe /s mydata.reg
    >
    > if errorlevel 1 echo "error while processing reg file..."
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Regards,
    > Andy
  3. I have been getting error code 0 back with a similar run. Using psexec.exe \\computer -u domain\admin -p password regedit.exe c:\myregfile.reg

    Running it locally it runs fine, but run it from an admin machine and it fails out with:

    Connecting to computer...Starting PsExec service on computer...Connecting with PsExec service on computer...Starting regedit.exe on computer...
    regedit.exe exited on computer with error code 0.

    qe: running psservice.exe however in the same cmd structure runs just fine...i can start, stop and restart services np.

Regedit Microsoft Windows XP