4600 DVD & CDR Drives are becoming noisy

my Dell 4600 has a DVD Drive as well as a CDRW drive. Lately, they seem to
be extremely noisy when a CD is placed in either one. Sounds like a loud
whirling sound. Anyone else have probelms?

Thank you
John
8 answers Last reply
More about 4600 drives noisy

    nothing strange imo. means they're working.

    "DocRocs" <docrocs@cisnet.com> wrote in message
    > my Dell 4600 has a DVD Drive as well as a CDRW drive. Lately, they seem to
    > be extremely noisy when a CD is placed in either one. Sounds like a loud
    > whirling sound. Anyone else have probelms?
    >

    > Thank you
    > John

    To repeat what I posted when this question was asked a couple of weeks
    ago:

    New CD drives are real noisy playing audio CDs because they spin at
    the maximum speed of the drive, even though a much lower speed is
    sufficient for audio.

    The solution is to install a program that lets you select the drive
    speed. I've got a Dimension 4600 with WinXp and DriveSpeed by Nero
    works fine: set the read speed to 1X when playing audio CDs and
    suddenly you've got a silent drive. It's free:

    http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?link=download.html

    The drive makes noise when i put in a CD for a new program, as I just did. I
    seldom listen to Cd's on the PC, as I have a stereo.

    A good example, just putting in the Dell Resourece CD weiil make the drive
    make a lond whirling noise.

    TIA,
    Doc
    "dim4600" <xdpl5d602@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
    > To repeat what I posted when this question was asked a couple of weeks
    > ago:
    >
    > New CD drives are real noisy playing audio CDs because they spin at
    > the maximum speed of the drive, even though a much lower speed is
    > sufficient for audio.
    >
    > The solution is to install a program that lets you select the drive
    > speed. I've got a Dimension 4600 with WinXp and DriveSpeed by Nero
    > works fine: set the read speed to 1X when playing audio CDs and
    > suddenly you've got a silent drive. It's free:
    >
    > http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?link=download.html

    Does it sound like a jet taking off? Does it sound like your vacuum
    cleaner? If so, then congratulations you have a perfectly normal and
    functional high speed CD drive.

    If you want a quieter one I'll swap you my old 8x CD drive even up... ;-)

    "DocRocs@cisnet.com" <docrocs@cisnet.com> wrote in message
    > The drive makes noise when i put in a CD for a new program, as I just did.
    > seldom listen to Cd's on the PC, as I have a stereo.
    >
    > A good example, just putting in the Dell Resourece CD weiil make the drive
    > make a lond whirling noise.
    >
    > TIA,
    > Doc
    > "dim4600" <xdpl5d602@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
    > > To repeat what I posted when this question was asked a couple of weeks
    > > ago:
    > >
    > > New CD drives are real noisy playing audio CDs because they spin at
    > > the maximum speed of the drive, even though a much lower speed is
    > > sufficient for audio.
    > >
    > > The solution is to install a program that lets you select the drive
    > > speed. I've got a Dimension 4600 with WinXp and DriveSpeed by Nero
    > > works fine: set the read speed to 1X when playing audio CDs and
    > > suddenly you've got a silent drive. It's free:
    > >
    > > http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?link=download.html

    Normal.

    Rocky

    "DocRocs@cisnet.com" <docrocs@cisnet.com> wrote in message
    > The drive makes noise when i put in a CD for a new program, as I just did.
    > seldom listen to Cd's on the PC, as I have a stereo.
    >
    > A good example, just putting in the Dell Resourece CD weiil make the drive
    > make a lond whirling noise.
    >
    > TIA,
    > Doc
    > "dim4600" <xdpl5d602@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
    > > To repeat what I posted when this question was asked a couple of weeks
    > > ago:
    > >
    > > New CD drives are real noisy playing audio CDs because they spin at
    > > the maximum speed of the drive, even though a much lower speed is
    > > sufficient for audio.
    > >
    > > The solution is to install a program that lets you select the drive
    > > speed. I've got a Dimension 4600 with WinXp and DriveSpeed by Nero
    > > works fine: set the read speed to 1X when playing audio CDs and
    > > suddenly you've got a silent drive. It's free:
    > >
    > > http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?link=download.html

    Question? On my Dimension 8200 (16X DVD & CD R/W 48X) no noise on
    either. On my Dimension 8300 (DVD 16X and DVD R/W 4X not sure) but
    neither make noise. What's different between my 2 PC's and his 4600?
    Just very curious.

    Joan

    Rocket J. Squirrel wrote:

    > Normal.
    >
    > Rocky
    >
    > "DocRocs@cisnet.com" <docrocs@cisnet.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>The drive makes noise when i put in a CD for a new program, as I just did.

    >>seldom listen to Cd's on the PC, as I have a stereo.
    >>
    >>A good example, just putting in the Dell Resourece CD weiil make the drive
    >>make a lond whirling noise.
    >>
    >>TIA,
    >>Doc
    >>"dim4600" <xdpl5d602@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>To repeat what I posted when this question was asked a couple of weeks
    >>>ago:
    >>>
    >>>New CD drives are real noisy playing audio CDs because they spin at
    >>>the maximum speed of the drive, even though a much lower speed is
    >>>sufficient for audio.
    >>>
    >>>The solution is to install a program that lets you select the drive
    >>>speed. I've got a Dimension 4600 with WinXp and DriveSpeed by Nero
    >>>works fine: set the read speed to 1X when playing audio CDs and
    >>>suddenly you've got a silent drive. It's free:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?link=download.html

    I'm not an engineer. The issue of noisy CD and DVD drives is widely reported
    (and not restricted to Dell). Be glad that yours are quiet.

    An argument analogous to your own: The 1987 Pontiac Grand Am was widely
    reviled by all the major automobile reviewers as being, among its many other
    sins, mechanically unreliable. Yet, my 1987 Grand Am didn't suffer so much
    as a minor breakdown until it was 7 years old. Were the reviewers wrong?

    Rocky

    "Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
    > Question? On my Dimension 8200 (16X DVD & CD R/W 48X) no noise on
    > either. On my Dimension 8300 (DVD 16X and DVD R/W 4X not sure) but
    > neither make noise. What's different between my 2 PC's and his 4600?
    > Just very curious.
    >
    > Joan
    >
    > Rocket J. Squirrel wrote:
    >
    > > Normal.
    > >
    > > Rocky
    > >
    > > "DocRocs@cisnet.com" <docrocs@cisnet.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>The drive makes noise when i put in a CD for a new program, as I just
    did.

    > >>seldom listen to Cd's on the PC, as I have a stereo.
    > >>
    > >>A good example, just putting in the Dell Resourece CD weiil make the
    drive
    > >>make a lond whirling noise.
    > >>
    > >>TIA,
    > >>Doc
    > >>"dim4600" <xdpl5d602@sneakemail.com> wrote in message

    Rocky you indicated the noise was "normal". I'm very sorry I assume you
    have noisy CD and DVD drives and probably consider it normal. :-(

    Joan

    Rocket J. Squirrel wrote:

    > I'm not an engineer. The issue of noisy CD and DVD drives is widely reported
    > (and not restricted to Dell). Be glad that yours are quiet.
    >
    > An argument analogous to your own: The 1987 Pontiac Grand Am was widely
    > reviled by all the major automobile reviewers as being, among its many other
    > sins, mechanically unreliable. Yet, my 1987 Grand Am didn't suffer so much
    > as a minor breakdown until it was 7 years old. Were the reviewers wrong?
    >
    > Rocky
    >
    > "Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Question? On my Dimension 8200 (16X DVD & CD R/W 48X) no noise on
    >>either. On my Dimension 8300 (DVD 16X and DVD R/W 4X not sure) but
    >>neither make noise. What's different between my 2 PC's and his 4600?
    >>Just very curious.
    >>
    >>Joan
    >>
    >>Rocket J. Squirrel wrote:
    >>

    >>>Normal.