How limit SERVUCES.ESE running so much in background?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Please help! I am running XP + SP1 and all patches. Can't take SP2
because of potential application conflict.

Using SysInternal's Regmon I see that SERVICES.EXE is running
furiously in the background especially at those times when my system
seems to lock up and not permit any keyboard or mouse input (even
popup boxes don't work).

How can I limit this restless ever-searching activity of
SERVICES.EXE? Regmon shows that it seems to go thru all the services
one by one and then loop around and do it again.

Can I lower the frewuency which SEVICES.EXE scans the system services
list? Can I stop SERVICES.EXE completely?

Please advise me. Thank you.

map

Alex Coleman wrote:
> Please help! I am running XP + SP1 and all patches. Can't take SP2
> because of potential application conflict.
>

> Using SysInternal's Regmon I see that SERVICES.EXE is running
> furiously in the background especially at those times when my system
> seems to lock up and not permit any keyboard or mouse input (even
> popup boxes don't work).
>
> How can I limit this restless ever-searching activity of
> SERVICES.EXE? Regmon shows that it seems to go thru all the services
> one by one and then loop around and do it again.
>
> Can I lower the frewuency which SEVICES.EXE scans the system services
> list? Can I stop SERVICES.EXE completely?
>
> Please advise me. Thank you.

First thing to do is run a full system scan with a current anti-virus
software followed by a malware scan.
If you already have an anti-virus program on your system double check it
with one of the free online scanners

A link for free online virus and trojan scanners.
http://virusall.com/downscan.html

--
Mike Pawlak

On Fri 29 Jul 2005 13:58:45, MAP wrote:

> First thing to do is run a full system scan with a current
> anti-virus software followed by a malware scan.
> If you already have an anti-virus program on your system double
> check it with one of the free online scanners
>
> A link for free online virus and trojan scanners.
> http://virusall.com/downscan.html

I have now checked my system with several online AV and a trojan
scanners. My system passes the tests. I also have an up to date
AV and trojan scanner installed and they too give me the all
clear.

However the problem I describe above still remains: namely that
SERVICES.EXE searches through all my services and locks the system
when it does that.

null

Alex Coleman wrote:

>>Alex Coleman wrote:
>>
>>>Please help! I am running XP + SP1 and all patches. Can't
>>>take SP2 because of potential application conflict.
>>>

>>>Using SysInternal's Regmon I see that SERVICES.EXE is running
>>>furiously in the background especially at those times when my
>>>system seems to lock up and not permit any keyboard or mouse
>>>input (even popup boxes don't work).
>>>
>>>How can I limit this restless ever-searching activity of
>>>SERVICES.EXE? Regmon shows that it seems to go thru all the
>>>services one by one and then loop around and do it again.
>>>
>>>Can I lower the frewuency which SEVICES.EXE scans the system
>>>services list? Can I stop SERVICES.EXE completely?
>>>
>>>Please advise me. Thank you.
>

> On Fri 29 Jul 2005 13:58:45, MAP wrote:
>
>>First thing to do is run a full system scan with a current
>>anti-virus software followed by a malware scan.
>>If you already have an anti-virus program on your system double
>>check it with one of the free online scanners
>>
>>A link for free online virus and trojan scanners.
>>http://virusall.com/downscan.html
>

> I have now checked my system with several online AV and a trojan
> scanners. My system passes the tests. I also have an up to date
> AV and trojan scanner installed and they too give me the all
> clear.
>
> However the problem I describe above still remains: namely that
> SERVICES.EXE searches through all my services and locks the system
> when it does that.

Services.exe is an essential component of Windows and should not be
shutdown.

posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
of this message.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Services.exe contains the services PnP and Event Log (type tasklist /svc to see in Pro). Unplug any hardware you can and see if event viewer is being written to.