Dual Channel quetion

Right now i've got 512 kingston value ram 2x 256 dual channel in my system. If i order 1gb of a different ram and use the other two slots 2x512, or even just another 2x 256, will dual channel still work? Do all 4 sticks need to be the same exact memory? I know you cant mix in a single channel, but between channels? channel A being the kingston value ram and channel b being something else, 2 x 256 PQI for example, or 2 x 512 pny

thx!

<font color=orange>System: Tandy 386
12Mhz of pure <b>power</b></font color=orange>
4 answers Last reply
More about dual channel quetion
  1. You can have two different pair, making up a 768MB channel and a 768MB channel for dual-channel mode.

Whether the modules will play nice with each other is a different problem, you could have a stability issue.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  2. Intel 865 GBF mobo and what ever intel chipset it comes with

<font color=orange>System: Tandy 386
    12Mhz of pure <b>power</b></font color=orange>
  3. I bet the chipset is the 865!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0
  4. You can run four identical DIMMs in dual channel on Intel 865 chipset.

You can also run dual-channel with 2x256MB + 2x512MB, but you need to make sure the DIMMs pairs are populated like so:

slot 0 --> 256MB
    slot 1 --> 512MB
    slot 2 --> 256MB
    slot 3 --> 512MB

As Crashman pointed out running 4 DIMMs may cause stability problems. It is recommended to stick with two double-sided DIMMs. 2x512MB double-sided DIMMs are the best memory setup for the 865 chipset.

<b>EDIT</b>
    Also, two double-sided DDR-400 DIMMs in dual channel offers the best performance on the 865 chipset.

<font color=blue>******
    <font color=green>"My Memory is not working today"
    <font color=blue>AIM SoCaliCrowley<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by BrentUnitedMem on 08/22/05 04:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory RAM Dual Channel Kingston