Better alternative to Backup Buddy?

October 7, 2004 6:39:18 PM

Purchased backup buddy but the registration key does nothing and program
expires in 5 days.

Backup buddy technical support is a joke!

They reply with a form letter, oblivious to the problem.

They simply send instructions for installing the key, which we have done,
but the product isn't registered on the handheld after a hotsync.

Is there an alternative provider which has something remebling support for
thier product?

Thanks

Skip
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 6:39:19 PM

Anonymous
October 7, 2004 6:39:19 PM

"s" <s@s.com> wrote:
>Purchased backup buddy but the registration key does nothing and program
>expires in 5 days.

Sometimes there's some confusion between your order or confirmation
number and your registration key, or you've given them the wrong User
ID (spelling, punctuation, capitals, spaces, all are critical). Just
a couple of thoughts...

>Is there an alternative provider which has something remebling support for
>thier product?

I've been real happy with BackupMan.
October 7, 2004 6:39:20 PM

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 09:47:59 -0600, "C.Joseph Drayton"
<kalek1@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Hi Skip,
>
>I can strongly recommend BackupMan. I have been using it for years
>with no problem. I had one question a few months ago when I upgraded
>to a Tungsten|T3 and they answered quickly (within 2 days), and were
>spot on with their answer.
>
>Ciao . . . C.Joseph

I'll second that on BackupMan. Great product!
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 6:39:20 PM

"C.Joseph Drayton" <kalek1@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> Hi Skip,
>
> I can strongly recommend BackupMan. I have been using it for years
> with no problem. I had one question a few months ago when I upgraded
> to a Tungsten|T3 and they answered quickly (within 2 days), and were
> spot on with their answer.

I second the BackupMan recommendation. They've restored everything on my
Zire 71 from a hard reset including registration numbers and preference
settings.
Ruby
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 8:57:53 PM

C.Joseph Drayton wrote:

> I can strongly recommend BackupMan. I have been using it for years
> with no problem. I had one question a few months ago when I upgraded
> to a Tungsten|T3 and they answered quickly (within 2 days), and were
> spot on with their answer.

Seconded. I use BackupMan and it's the *only* backup utility that's worked for
me "in the field" - i.e. successfully restored my Palm from a SD card backup
after a hard reset when away from the PC.

Glenn.
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 9:04:19 PM

# Glenn Proctor
> C.Joseph Drayton wrote:
>
> > I can strongly recommend BackupMan. I have been using it for years
> > with no problem. I had one question a few months ago when I upgraded
> > to a Tungsten|T3 and they answered quickly (within 2 days), and were
> > spot on with their answer.
>
> Seconded. I use BackupMan and it's the *only* backup utility that's worked for
> me "in the field" - i.e. successfully restored my Palm from a SD card backup
> after a hard reset when away from the PC.
>
> Glenn.

I bought BackupMan on the strength of the group's recommendations. I've
yet to have to restore from it, but it certainly seems like a tidy
package. Fingers crossed it works when it comes to the crunch!

--
Toby
Anonymous

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 17:04:19 +0100, Toby Newman <google@asktoby.com>
wrote:

># Glenn Proctor
>> C.Joseph Drayton wrote:
>>
>> > I can strongly recommend BackupMan. I have been using it for years
>> > with no problem. I had one question a few months ago when I upgraded
>> > to a Tungsten|T3 and they answered quickly (within 2 days), and were
>> > spot on with their answer.
>>
>> Seconded. I use BackupMan and it's the *only* backup utility that's worked for
>> me "in the field" - i.e. successfully restored my Palm from a SD card backup
>> after a hard reset when away from the PC.
>>
>> Glenn.
>>

>I bought BackupMan on the strength of the group's recommendations. I've
>yet to have to restore from it, but it certainly seems like a tidy
>package. Fingers crossed it works when it comes to the crunch!

You really should test it out. That's the only way you will know for
sure. To give you an example, I backup, hard reset and restore to a
Sony Clie SJ30 about once a week Strange...I know...but I go back and
forth between and Visor Pro and the Sony regularly. I can estimate
that I have probably restored at least 20 times with BackupMan and
have always had perfect restores. So, I would suggest "taking the
plunge" where you have a good backup on your PC and then you can feel
confident that it will "save" you when you least expect it <g>
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 9:04:21 PM

Hi

I just bought a new Palm Tungsten E, to replace my Palm V

I didn't have a backup other than what goes to the desktop when you
hotsynch.

I made a good backup of this (c:\program files\palm) just in case...
Then I did the hotsync with the new unit.

I then installed the softwares I was running on the old one (Expense Plus,
SDS Time, Metro, TealLock) which all have settings and databases to go with
them. For many of those apps, I upgraded to a newer version so that color
and Palm OS 5 would be supported, so I had to reinstall these apps anyway.
After that, every application worked fine. I didn't loose any single piece
of information. Even my encrypted memos are ok.

So the question is: how useful is a backup tool?
It just saves one from reinstalling software (which takes only a few
minutes). And I could not avoid that anyway since I needed an upgrade of
most of those apps to support color.

Is the investment really worth it? Not unless you run out of batteries every
second week, as far as I can see.
To restore in case of a big problem (losst or broken Palm) nothing prevents
you from doing an Hotsynch and get everything back.

Just my 2 cents, and comments are welcome
BTW I was thinking of buying a backup app if this would have failed but
no...

--
Syltrem

OpenVMS 7.3-1 + Oracle 8.1.7.4
http://pages.infinit.net/syltrem (OpenVMS related web site, en français)

> >> Seconded. I use BackupMan and it's the *only* backup utility that's
worked for
> >> me "in the field" - i.e. successfully restored my Palm from a SD card
backup
> >> after a hard reset when away from the PC.
> >>
> >> Glenn.
> >>

> >I bought BackupMan on the strength of the group's recommendations. I've
> >yet to have to restore from it, but it certainly seems like a tidy
> >package. Fingers crossed it works when it comes to the crunch!
>
> You really should test it out. That's the only way you will know for
> sure. To give you an example, I backup, hard reset and restore to a
> Sony Clie SJ30 about once a week Strange...I know...but I go back and
> forth between and Visor Pro and the Sony regularly. I can estimate
> that I have probably restored at least 20 times with BackupMan and
> have always had perfect restores. So, I would suggest "taking the
> plunge" where you have a good backup on your PC and then you can feel
> confident that it will "save" you when you least expect it <g>
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 9:04:22 PM

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 12:54:36 -0400, "Syltrem"
<syltremzulu@videotron.ca> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I just bought a new Palm Tungsten E, to replace my Palm V
>
>I didn't have a backup other than what goes to the desktop when you
>hotsynch.
>
>I made a good backup of this (c:\program files\palm) just in case...
>Then I did the hotsync with the new unit.
>
>I then installed the softwares I was running on the old one (Expense Plus,
>SDS Time, Metro, TealLock) which all have settings and databases to go with
>them. For many of those apps, I upgraded to a newer version so that color
>and Palm OS 5 would be supported, so I had to reinstall these apps anyway.
>After that, every application worked fine. I didn't loose any single piece
>of information. Even my encrypted memos are ok.
>
>So the question is: how useful is a backup tool?

Incredibly useful IMHO. How often do you take your Desktop machine
with you when you are out on the road or visiting friends? If the
backup is just on that machine, kinda ties you to it...right? Backup
to a memory card and you don't have to worry about getting back to
your desktop machine in the event you have to do a hard reset and
restore. I learned that lesson a long time ago when I was gone from
home a couple of days. Had a Samsung Smartphone and it crashed
requiring a hard reset right when I needed it most. This was an early
model and had no card backup. Lost my address book and everything. Got
rid of the phone and can't imagine not having a card backup now. :)

>It just saves one from reinstalling software (which takes only a few
>minutes). And I could not avoid that anyway since I needed an upgrade of
>most of those apps to support color.
>
>Is the investment really worth it? Not unless you run out of batteries every
>second week, as far as I can see.
>To restore in case of a big problem (losst or broken Palm) nothing prevents
>you from doing an Hotsynch and get everything back.
>
>Just my 2 cents, and comments are welcome
>BTW I was thinking of buying a backup app if this would have failed but
>no...
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 9:04:23 PM

> On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 12:54:36 -0400, "Syltrem"
> <syltremzulu@videotron.ca> wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >I just bought a new Palm Tungsten E, to replace my Palm V
> >
> >I didn't have a backup other than what goes to the desktop when you
> >hotsynch.
> >
> >I made a good backup of this (c:\program files\palm) just in case...
> >Then I did the hotsync with the new unit.
> >
> >I then installed the softwares I was running on the old one (Expense
Plus,
> >SDS Time, Metro, TealLock) which all have settings and databases to go
with
> >them. For many of those apps, I upgraded to a newer version so that color
> >and Palm OS 5 would be supported, so I had to reinstall these apps
anyway.
> >After that, every application worked fine. I didn't loose any single
piece
> >of information. Even my encrypted memos are ok.
> >
> >So the question is: how useful is a backup tool?
>
> Incredibly useful IMHO. How often do you take your Desktop machine
> with you when you are out on the road or visiting friends? If the
> backup is just on that machine, kinda ties you to it...right? Backup
> to a memory card and you don't have to worry about getting back to
> your desktop machine in the event you have to do a hard reset and
> restore. I learned that lesson a long time ago when I was gone from
> home a couple of days. Had a Samsung Smartphone and it crashed
> requiring a hard reset right when I needed it most. This was an early
> model and had no card backup. Lost my address book and everything. Got
> rid of the phone and can't imagine not having a card backup now. :)

Than a card backup is a useful thing
Backup Buddy is not (if you're willing to reinstall a few apps on your
handheld in case of complete crash or hard reset) because it also requires
that you're attached to your PC and hotsynch regularly.

I do a hotsynch at the office every day, and also at home almost every day.

When in vacation, I don't usually update data in my handheld very much. But
I do consult it. I'd be in problems only if I let the battery die, or if I
drop the thing down a high bridge.

In other words, one should not keep the backup card in the handheld cover,
but the card could "save one's life" when away from home.

--
Syltrem

> >It just saves one from reinstalling software (which takes only a few
> >minutes). And I could not avoid that anyway since I needed an upgrade of
> >most of those apps to support color.
> >
> >Is the investment really worth it? Not unless you run out of batteries
every
> >second week, as far as I can see.
> >To restore in case of a big problem (losst or broken Palm) nothing
prevents
> >you from doing an Hotsynch and get everything back.
> >
> >Just my 2 cents, and comments are welcome
> >BTW I was thinking of buying a backup app if this would have failed but
> >no...

Anonymous
October 7, 2004 9:04:24 PM

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 14:16:42 -0400, "Syltrem"
<syltremzulu@videotron.ca> wrote:

>"krewl" <krewl@invalid.com> a écrit dans le message de
>> On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 12:54:36 -0400, "Syltrem"
>> <syltremzulu@videotron.ca> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi
>> >
>> >I just bought a new Palm Tungsten E, to replace my Palm V
>> >
>> >I didn't have a backup other than what goes to the desktop when you
>> >hotsynch.
>> >
>> >I made a good backup of this (c:\program files\palm) just in case...
>> >Then I did the hotsync with the new unit.
>> >
>> >I then installed the softwares I was running on the old one (Expense
>Plus,
>> >SDS Time, Metro, TealLock) which all have settings and databases to go
>with
>> >them. For many of those apps, I upgraded to a newer version so that color
>> >and Palm OS 5 would be supported, so I had to reinstall these apps
>anyway.
>> >After that, every application worked fine. I didn't loose any single
>piece
>> >of information. Even my encrypted memos are ok.
>> >
>> >So the question is: how useful is a backup tool?
>>
>> Incredibly useful IMHO. How often do you take your Desktop machine
>> with you when you are out on the road or visiting friends? If the
>> backup is just on that machine, kinda ties you to it...right? Backup
>> to a memory card and you don't have to worry about getting back to
>> your desktop machine in the event you have to do a hard reset and
>> restore. I learned that lesson a long time ago when I was gone from
>> home a couple of days. Had a Samsung Smartphone and it crashed
>> requiring a hard reset right when I needed it most. This was an early
>> model and had no card backup. Lost my address book and everything. Got
>> rid of the phone and can't imagine not having a card backup now. :)
>>

>Than a card backup is a useful thing
>Backup Buddy is not (if you're willing to reinstall a few apps on your
>handheld in case of complete crash or hard reset) because it also requires
>that you're attached to your PC and hotsynch regularly.
>
>I do a hotsynch at the office every day, and also at home almost every day.
>
>When in vacation, I don't usually update data in my handheld very much. But
>I do consult it. I'd be in problems only if I let the battery die, or if I
>drop the thing down a high bridge.
>
>In other words, one should not keep the backup card in the handheld cover,
>but the card could "save one's life" when away from home.

Just so you know, I was not updating anything on the Samsung when it
crashed...just decided to crash...grrr! I blame that on Samsung as I
have never had such as crashy machine as that one. But, nonetheless, I
would not feel safe without a card backup. Kind of like I'm
uncomfortable driving without a mobile phone nowadays! :)
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 10:05:41 PM

"Syltrem" <syltremzulu@videotron.ca> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I just bought a new Palm Tungsten E, to replace my Palm V
>
> I didn't have a backup other than what goes to the desktop when you
> hotsynch.
>
> I made a good backup of this (c:\program files\palm) just in case...
> Then I did the hotsync with the new unit.
>
> I then installed the softwares I was running on the old one (Expense Plus,
> SDS Time, Metro, TealLock) which all have settings and databases to go
> with
> them. For many of those apps, I upgraded to a newer version so that color
> and Palm OS 5 would be supported, so I had to reinstall these apps anyway.
> After that, every application worked fine. I didn't loose any single piece
> of information. Even my encrypted memos are ok.
>
> So the question is: how useful is a backup tool?
> It just saves one from reinstalling software (which takes only a few
> minutes). And I could not avoid that anyway since I needed an upgrade of
> most of those apps to support color.
>
> Is the investment really worth it? Not unless you run out of batteries
> every
> second week, as far as I can see.
> To restore in case of a big problem (losst or broken Palm) nothing
> prevents
> you from doing an Hotsynch and get everything back.
>
> Just my 2 cents, and comments are welcome
> BTW I was thinking of buying a backup app if this would have failed but
> no...

Depends how often you get to a PC (or mac). I have BB auto backup to the SD
card every now and again so in the event of a problem (which I had last
week, T3 battery was completely drained accidentally) I got everything back
without needing to go to a PC, just had to recharge,and also I think my PC
backup was a few days old at that point. Not nearly as necessary (if at
all?) with T5 type memory though.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 11:47:15 PM

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 14:39:18 GMT, "s" <s@s.com> wrote:

>Purchased backup buddy but the registration key does nothing and program
>expires in 5 days.
>
>Backup buddy technical support is a joke!
>
>They reply with a form letter, oblivious to the problem.
>
>They simply send instructions for installing the key, which we have done,
>but the product isn't registered on the handheld after a hotsync.
>
>Is there an alternative provider which has something remebling support for
>thier product?

I don't know, but here's freeware to do the same thing:

http://www.planepla.net/vfsbackup.html
http://www.redfelineninja.dsl.pipex.com/software/rfback...
http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/ad.shtml
and a collection of other freeware & shareware solutions
http://www.palmblvd.com/software/pc/utilities-backup-do...

--
John Bartley K7AAY http://celdata.cjb.net
This post quad-ROT-13 encrypted; reading it violates the DMCA.

In article <qyc9d.2341$Al3.798@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>,
"s" <s@s.com> wrote:

> Purchased backup buddy but the registration key does nothing and program
> expires in 5 days.
>
> Backup buddy technical support is a joke!
>
> They reply with a form letter, oblivious to the problem.
>
> They simply send instructions for installing the key, which we have done,
> but the product isn't registered on the handheld after a hotsync.
>
> Is there an alternative provider which has something remebling support for
> thier product?

BackupBuddyVFS works fine on my m125 (field tested and everything) but
does *not* work at all on my T|E. BackUpMan has worked flawlessly for
me on the T|E with the sole exception of one of the photo viewer files
(stream.jpeg or something) which I have to reinstall from my PC.

My .02

Regards,

-Doug
October 8, 2004 2:31:33 AM

Thanks for all the info :o )

Anybody have experience with "Right Back Up"?

http://standalone.com/palmos/right_back_up/

"s" <s@s.com> wrote in message
> Purchased backup buddy but the registration key does nothing and program
> expires in 5 days.
>
> Backup buddy technical support is a joke!
>
> They reply with a form letter, oblivious to the problem.
>
> They simply send instructions for installing the key, which we have done,
> but the product isn't registered on the handheld after a hotsync.
>
> Is there an alternative provider which has something remebling support for
> thier product?
>
> Thanks
>
> Skip

Anonymous
October 8, 2004 2:31:34 AM

s wrote:
> Thanks for all the info :o )
>
> Anybody have experience with "Right Back Up"?
>
> http://standalone.com/palmos/right_back_up/
>

> "s" <s@s.com> wrote in message
>
>>Purchased backup buddy but the registration key does nothing and program
>>expires in 5 days.
>>
>>Backup buddy technical support is a joke!
>>
>>They reply with a form letter, oblivious to the problem.
>>
>>They simply send instructions for installing the key, which we have done,
>>but the product isn't registered on the handheld after a hotsync.
>>
>>Is there an alternative provider which has something remebling support for
>>thier product?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Skip

The Palm Desktop doesn't back up all files, just ones with the backup
bit set. You can set all the backup bits yourself and Palm Desktop will
serve the purpose. I'd high recommend backup to an SD card. Hard reset
crashes happen while using your Palm and if your like me it means that
your not near your PC and must wait until you get home to restore. A
real bummer if your on a trip. Also the SD backup programs can do
automatic backups which insures a more recent restore. I've had Backup
Buddy for a long time and eventually converted to the VFS version.
BBVFS didn't work well on my TRGpro but it does a flawless job on my
Zire 71. That being said, I'd look at Tealpoint. They have a recent
product and in my opinion are the customer oriented Palm developer. You
can try their backup for free, full function, for 30 days.
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 2:31:34 AM

"s" <s@s.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for all the info :o )
>
> Anybody have experience with "Right Back Up"?
>
> http://standalone.com/palmos/right_back_up/

That would be me. One of the heavily-touted e-book readers, either Plucker
or ISilo (I forgot which) fouled my T|E up rather badly. I backed up before
installing, and then Right Backup put me right back up where I was.

> "s" <s@s.com> wrote in message
> > Purchased backup buddy but the registration key does nothing and program
> > expires in 5 days.
> >
> > Backup buddy technical support is a joke!
> >
> > They reply with a form letter, oblivious to the problem.
> >
> > They simply send instructions for installing the key, which we have
done,
> > but the product isn't registered on the handheld after a hotsync.
> >
> > Is there an alternative provider which has something remebling support
for
> > thier product?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Skip

Anonymous
October 8, 2004 3:00:23 AM

In news:D hoffman-2B48D8.17092907102004@journey.net.client.newsread.com,
Doug Hoffman <dhoffman@journey.com> informed us:
| In article <qyc9d.2341$Al3.798@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>,
| "s" <s@s.com> wrote:
|
|| Purchased backup buddy but the registration key does nothing and
|| program expires in 5 days.
|| Backup buddy technical support is a joke!
|| They reply with a form letter, oblivious to the problem.
|| They simply send instructions for installing the key, which we have
|| done, but the product isn't registered on the handheld after a
|| hotsync.
|| Is there an alternative provider which has something remebling
|| support for thier product?
|
| BackupBuddyVFS works fine on my m125 (field tested and everything) but
| does *not* work at all on my T|E. BackUpMan has worked flawlessly for
| me on the T|E with the sole exception of one of the photo viewer files
| (stream.jpeg or something) which I have to reinstall from my PC.

Weird. BB VFS has worked flawlessly on my T3 - and I should know because
I've had several occasions where my T3 crashed enough to need a hard
reset. In fact, I had to send the unit back to Palm, and BB restored it
right from when I took it out of the box.

I set it to do a full backup at 1 am. I like it because if I've garbled
a file, I can use a file manager to pull off just that one file.
Understand that BM encrypts and shrinks the files, so you can't do this.
BB will also encrypt, so if you have a larger SD card, it's no big deal.

Tom
October 8, 2004 5:53:38 PM

Yeah it works great. i've used it to do a restore...

But it won't let me register lol.

"Tom Accuosti" <taccuostiMY@VIRUSearthlink.net> wrote in message
> In news:D hoffman-2B48D8.17092907102004@journey.net.client.newsread.com,
> Doug Hoffman <dhoffman@journey.com> informed us:
> | In article <qyc9d.2341$Al3.798@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>,
> | "s" <s@s.com> wrote:
> |
> || Purchased backup buddy but the registration key does nothing and
> || program expires in 5 days.
> || Backup buddy technical support is a joke!
> || They reply with a form letter, oblivious to the problem.
> || They simply send instructions for installing the key, which we have
> || done, but the product isn't registered on the handheld after a
> || hotsync.
> || Is there an alternative provider which has something remebling
> || support for thier product?
> |
> | BackupBuddyVFS works fine on my m125 (field tested and everything) but
> | does *not* work at all on my T|E. BackUpMan has worked flawlessly for
> | me on the T|E with the sole exception of one of the photo viewer files
> | (stream.jpeg or something) which I have to reinstall from my PC.
>
> Weird. BB VFS has worked flawlessly on my T3 - and I should know because
> I've had several occasions where my T3 crashed enough to need a hard
> reset. In fact, I had to send the unit back to Palm, and BB restored it
> right from when I took it out of the box.
>
> I set it to do a full backup at 1 am. I like it because if I've garbled
> a file, I can use a file manager to pull off just that one file.
> Understand that BM encrypts and shrinks the files, so you can't do this.
> BB will also encrypt, so if you have a larger SD card, it's no big deal.
>
> Tom

October 8, 2004 5:54:46 PM

OOps wasn't entirely clear.

This is BB VFS and yes it's nice to backup to SD card.

"George Fragos" <gfragos@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:D dydnSg6L9lKU_jcRVn-rQ@comcast.com...
> s wrote:
> > Thanks for all the info :o )
> >
> > Anybody have experience with "Right Back Up"?
> >
> > http://standalone.com/palmos/right_back_up/
> >

> > "s" <s@s.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Purchased backup buddy but the registration key does nothing and program
> >>expires in 5 days.
> >>
> >>Backup buddy technical support is a joke!
> >>
> >>They reply with a form letter, oblivious to the problem.
> >>
> >>They simply send instructions for installing the key, which we have
done,
> >>but the product isn't registered on the handheld after a hotsync.
> >>
> >>Is there an alternative provider which has something remebling support
for
> >>thier product?
> >>
> >>Thanks
> >>
> >>Skip
> >>

> The Palm Desktop doesn't back up all files, just ones with the backup
> bit set. You can set all the backup bits yourself and Palm Desktop will
> serve the purpose. I'd high recommend backup to an SD card. Hard reset
> crashes happen while using your Palm and if your like me it means that
> your not near your PC and must wait until you get home to restore. A
> real bummer if your on a trip. Also the SD backup programs can do
> automatic backups which insures a more recent restore. I've had Backup
> Buddy for a long time and eventually converted to the VFS version.
> BBVFS didn't work well on my TRGpro but it does a flawless job on my
> Zire 71. That being said, I'd look at Tealpoint. They have a recent
> product and in my opinion are the customer oriented Palm developer. You
> can try their backup for free, full function, for 30 days.
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 1:28:13 AM

In article <CZw9d.2911$Al3.1115@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>,
"s" <s@s.com> wrote:

> Yeah it works great. i've used it to do a restore...
>
> But it won't let me register lol.

Laughing when people are trying to help might not be the best way to
continue to get information/help.

Regards,

-Doug
October 9, 2004 1:37:16 AM

Sorry-

I promise I'm not laughing at any person and I seriously, genuinely do
appreciate the help.

I laugh at the hardware and software because laughing at it keeps me sane
;o)

I've been doing desktop support since 1995... worked at MS etc... just new
tp Palm so yes i really do appreciate the help and sorry if I came across as
being unappreciative..

I try to answer what questions I can when I am in a newsgroup where I can
help.

Thanks all!

Skip

"Doug Hoffman" <dhoffman@journey.com> wrote in message
news:D hoffman-1F341A.17281508102004@journey.net.client.newsread.com...
> In article <CZw9d.2911$Al3.1115@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>,
> "s" <s@s.com> wrote:
>
> > Yeah it works great. i've used it to do a restore...
> >
> > But it won't let me register lol.
>
> Laughing when people are trying to help might not be the best way to
> continue to get information/help.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Doug
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 4:29:09 PM

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 22:31:33 GMT, "s" <s@s.com> wrote:

>Thanks for all the info :o )
>
>Anybody have experience with "Right Back Up"?
>
>http://standalone.com/palmos/right_back_up/

I've been using RBU for quite a while now, and it's always put me back
where I was. I picked it up after having troubles with JBBackup on my
NX73V. Understand, RBU isn't quite as configurable as some of the
more common apps (no compression, no encryption, no file selection
sets) - it just simply backs up your entire RAM contents to VFS media.
It does allow for selective restore (if you're only needing one or two
select files restored) and it does scheduled backups, and allows for
multiple backup sets. I've been happy with it.

Scott
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 12:15:08 PM

"s" <s@s.com> wrote in message news:<qyc9d.2341$Al3.798@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>...
> Is there an alternative provider which has something remebling support for
> thier product?

Well, this is synchronicity in action. Just finished a great deal of
research/trial and error/hair-pulling, and I have some results and
suggestions (and a question for others).

I've used BackupBuddy 1.x and BackupBuddyVFS 2.x for years -- on my
Visor, on my Clies; and I'm moving to a PalmOne T3 this week, so I
planned to use them there.

However, a couple of weeks ago on my Clie T665C, I tried to switch to
BackupBuddy 2.0.x and BackupBuddyVFS 3.0.x. On testing a restore,
neither worked (first time ever for each), and so I returned to the
earlier versions.

Switching to the T3 this week, I decided to give the new versions a
try again. BackupBuddy 2.0.14.5 seems to be working -- though I have
to say that their UI for checkpoints is confusing. (That, or what I
want to do with Checkpoints -- say "SAVE THIS BACKUP UNTIL I TELL YOU
NOT TO" -- isn't what they're talking about. Maybe that's a "labelled
checkpoint".) But after multiple restores (after purposefully erasing
my T3) it works fine.

BackupBuddyVFS 3.04 is another matter. Tends to blow down 2/3 of the
way through a restore from the SD card backup. And I cannot get
checkpoints to work on BBVFS. Gaaah!

So, I took several people's suggestion, and got the trial BackupMan
1.51. As the kids say, "Sweet!" :-) After a couple days of use, I'm
sold -- this really is as good as they say. (And I've been finding
post after post for the last 3 years singing their praises.)

Only drawback: no encryption in BackupMan. Got a letter from their
tech support (10 hour turnaround! Wow!) saying that it would be out
in BackupMan 2.0, but that this was still under development. It's
taking them a while, but given the rock-solid nature of their
software, I say, take all the time you want.

---------------------------------
So my recommendations would be:

- Get BackupBuddy (PC version, if you're running on Windows)
no matter what. Ignore the checkpoints, and just install it.
(Also, the earlier 1.52 version was and is flawless, if you
want to skip the 2.0 version with checkpoints).

- For a card solution, if you don't need encryption, get BackupMan.
If you do need encryption:

- Use BackupBuddyVFS 2.15 (older version), or...

- QUESTION: is there a solid encryption program that's
VFS enabled, where you can encrypt a file (BackupMan backs
things up to a single file)? I'm more interested in quality and
time-tested than fancy features. (I.e., the Palm VFS equivalent
of
Unix "crypt" is fine.)

In this case, use BackupMan, then encrypt the backup file.
Keep a copy of the encryption/decryption program on your
SD card as well.

---
Final comment: In the Old Days (late 90s), I used to swear by Blue
Nomad's products. They were, hands down, the best Palm software
company out there. BackupBuddy and WordSmith were two of the highest
quality, most functional and (to me) most-used Palm products on my
Visor. They added useful new features as they went on, and they gave
very good service.

I'm afraid that's not the situation today. I'll stick with
BackupBuddy, but I'm replacing WordSmith (probably) with
DocumentsToGo, and BackupBuddyVFS with BackupMan. Sad to see a
company that was that good fall by the wayside.

"There are two major products that come out of
Berkeley: LSD and BSD UNIX. We don't believe this
to be a coincidence."

Jeff Meyer, N.C., N.Q.D.Y.
[Not Quite Dead Yet]

© 2004 by Jeff Meyer

Originally posted to Usenet. Please, redistribute this article
in its entirety and without alterations. Thank you!
November 2, 2004 3:27:41 AM

"The Napoleon of Crime" <moriarty@fluke.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> company out there. BackupBuddy and WordSmith were two of the highest
> quality, most functional and (to me) most-used Palm products on my
> Visor. They added useful new features as they went on, and they gave
> very good service.
>
> I'm afraid that's not the situation today. I'll stick with
> BackupBuddy, but I'm replacing WordSmith (probably) with
> DocumentsToGo, and BackupBuddyVFS with BackupMan. Sad to see a
> company that was that good fall by the wayside.
>
> "There are two major products that come out of
> Berkeley: LSD and BSD UNIX. We don't believe this
> to be a coincidence."
>
> Jeff Meyer, N.C., N.Q.D.Y.
> [Not Quite Dead Yet]
>
> © 2004 by Jeff Meyer
>
> Originally posted to Usenet. Please, redistribute this article
> in its entirety and without alterations. Thank you!

Try Botzam Backup: http://www.botzam.com/bzbackup_details.htm
The only thing I didn't like about it was that it never seemed to delete old
backup sets when it said it had (they disappear from the list but are still
there on the card). Has encryption and compression (but slow......). I've
gone back to BackupMan - it would be nice to have the encryption but I like
knowing that it's 100% reliable.

Les
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 10:54:16 AM

On 28 Oct 2004 08:15:08 -0700, moriarty@fluke.com (The Napoleon of
Crime) wrote:

>"s" <s@s.com> wrote in message news:<qyc9d.2341$Al3.798@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>...
>> Is there an alternative provider which has something remebling support for
>> thier product?

>So, I took several people's suggestion, and got the trial BackupMan
>1.51. As the kids say, "Sweet!" :-) After a couple days of use, I'm
>sold -- this really is as good as they say. (And I've been finding
>post after post for the last 3 years singing their praises.)

Thumbs up on BackupMan for me too. Just playing around (using an Sony
SJ30), I've probably done over 100 backups and restores with BackupMan
and always a perfect restore. Definitely rock solid!
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 11:02:26 AM

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 14:39:18 GMT, "s" <s@s.com> wrote:

>Purchased backup buddy but the registration key does nothing and program
>expires in 5 days.
>
>Backup buddy technical support is a joke!
>
>They reply with a form letter, oblivious to the problem.
>
>They simply send instructions for installing the key, which we have done,
>but the product isn't registered on the handheld after a hotsync.
>
>Is there an alternative provider which has something remebling support for
>thier product?
>
>Thanks
>
>Skip

What do these backup products do (Backup Buddy, Backup Man) that
Hotsync doesn't do?
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 11:02:27 AM

In message <7uf1p0983ljq84ei5051k2lqls3thatdad@4ax.com> singhalvr
<singhalvr@charter.net> wrote:

>What do these backup products do (Backup Buddy, Backup Man) that
>Hotsync doesn't do?

There were a stack of PRC and PDB files I could see on my Palm that
weren't covered by BackupBuddy.

The gap that is filled, in short, is that applications cannot be trusted
to set the Backup bit appropriately. Virtually every application and DB
should be backed up, except for content which will be rebuilt by a
conduit.

Second, HotSync doesn't (or didn't) clean up properly when a PRC/PDB was
deleted from the Palm. A fatal crash (resulting in a new Palm, or a
hard reset) would result in much unwanted/deleted junk getting restored.

Lastly, the latest BackupBuddy has a limited journalling or versioning
system, I can rollback 3 HotSyncs, or to a HotSync from a month ago if I
want. This is useful if you discover (today) that you lost something
important and need it back.

All in all, if you're willing to invest some time and energy repairing
your Palm if needed, don't bother. If you monkey with new software that
breaks things all the time, then it's well worth the moolah.

--
Going to war over religion is fighting to see who's got the
better imaginary friend.

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 07:18:12 -0700, DevilsPGD <devilspgd@crazyhat.net>
wrote:

>In message <7uf1p0983ljq84ei5051k2lqls3thatdad@4ax.com> singhalvr
><singhalvr@charter.net> wrote:
>
>>What do these backup products do (Backup Buddy, Backup Man) that
>>Hotsync doesn't do?
>
>There were a stack of PRC and PDB files I could see on my Palm that
>weren't covered by BackupBuddy.
>
>The gap that is filled, in short, is that applications cannot be trusted
>to set the Backup bit appropriately. Virtually every application and DB
>should be backed up, except for content which will be rebuilt by a
>conduit.
>
>Second, HotSync doesn't (or didn't) clean up properly when a PRC/PDB was
>deleted from the Palm. A fatal crash (resulting in a new Palm, or a
>hard reset) would result in much unwanted/deleted junk getting restored.
>
>Lastly, the latest BackupBuddy has a limited journalling or versioning
>system, I can rollback 3 HotSyncs, or to a HotSync from a month ago if I
>want. This is useful if you discover (today) that you lost something
>important and need it back.
>
>All in all, if you're willing to invest some time and energy repairing
>your Palm if needed, don't bother. If you monkey with new software that
>breaks things all the time, then it's well worth the moolah.

Additionally, and the big one for me (I use BackupMan), is to be able
to restore directly from a backup on a mem card without relying on a
connection to a computer (i.e. on a trip without my laptop computer).
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 4:37:43 PM

In message <chq1p0hnep63gl4e44f0n4e0db42i30f59@4ax.com> krewl
<krewl@invalid.com> wrote:

>Additionally, and the big one for me (I use BackupMan), is to be able
>to restore directly from a backup on a mem card without relying on a
>connection to a computer (i.e. on a trip without my laptop computer).

I debating mentioning that, but since it's a separate product from
BackupBuddy (although you can get them together for a good price) I
decided to skip it.

My girlfriend just runs BackupBuddy to backup to her card, if she ever
needs to restore she'll do it from there.

--
#define QUESTION ((bb) || !(bb))
-- Shakespeare

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 13:37:43 -0700, DevilsPGD <devilspgd@crazyhat.net>
wrote:

>In message <chq1p0hnep63gl4e44f0n4e0db42i30f59@4ax.com> krewl
><krewl@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>>Additionally, and the big one for me (I use BackupMan), is to be able
>>to restore directly from a backup on a mem card without relying on a
>>connection to a computer (i.e. on a trip without my laptop computer).
>
>I debating mentioning that, but since it's a separate product from
>BackupBuddy (although you can get them together for a good price) I
>decided to skip it.
>
>My girlfriend just runs BackupBuddy to backup to her card, if she ever
>needs to restore she'll do it from there.

Yes, I love restoring from the card. Typically, if I am ready to
install a piece of software that I am afraid might cause problems,
then I do a fresh backup to the card. Most of the time I am fine, but
if I trash something, then I just do a hard reset and restore and so
far that has always worked fine. Plus, I keep two backups on the card
about a day apart, in case the latest backup has problems, but so far
I've never run into any problem with a backup.
November 9, 2004 7:14:00 PM

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 07:54:16 -0800, krewl <krewl@invalid.com> managed
to remove the duct tape and said:

>On 28 Oct 2004 08:15:08 -0700, moriarty@fluke.com (The Napoleon of
>Crime) wrote:
>
>>"s" <s@s.com> wrote in message news:<qyc9d.2341$Al3.798@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>...
>>> Is there an alternative provider which has something remebling support for
>>> thier product?
>
>>So, I took several people's suggestion, and got the trial BackupMan
>>1.51. As the kids say, "Sweet!" :-) After a couple days of use, I'm
>>sold -- this really is as good as they say. (And I've been finding
>>post after post for the last 3 years singing their praises.)
>
>Thumbs up on BackupMan for me too. Just playing around (using an Sony
>SJ30), I've probably done over 100 backups and restores with BackupMan
>and always a perfect restore. Definitely rock solid!

I concur. BackupMan it is. I was getting less that perfect restores
with BBVFS. Some of the apps serial numbers and preferences would not
come back.

--
I put 2 and 2 together and got 22.
Anonymous

Bruno wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 07:54:16 -0800, krewl <krewl@invalid.com> managed
> to remove the duct tape and said:
>
>> On 28 Oct 2004 08:15:08 -0700, moriarty@fluke.com (The Napoleon of
>> Crime) wrote:
>>
>>> "s" <s@s.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> So, I took several people's suggestion, and got the trial BackupMan
>>> 1.51. As the kids say, "Sweet!" :-) After a couple days of use,
>>> I'm
>>> sold -- this really is as good as they say. (And I've been finding
>>> post after post for the last 3 years singing their praises.)
>>
>> Thumbs up on BackupMan for me too. Just playing around (using an Sony
>> SJ30), I've probably done over 100 backups and restores with
>> BackupMan and always a perfect restore. Definitely rock solid!
>
> I concur. BackupMan it is. I was getting less that perfect restores
> with BBVFS. Some of the apps serial numbers and preferences would not
> come back.

I tried BackupMan for a while and was horrified when I discovered that the
data written to my SD card was not secured or encrypted in any way and could
be freely accessed from another Palm or a PC with a card reader. I could see
no settings to allow encryption and nothing mentioned on the website.

I therefore changed to BackupBuddyVFS215 and have probably restored fully or
partially about half a dozen times with no evident data loss. The data is
encrypted and appears as gibberish when viewed on a PC with a card reader. I
am much happier with that solution.
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 1:27:05 AM

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 22:27:04 -0000, "Tiny Tim" <_tim_dodd@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Bruno wrote:
>> On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 07:54:16 -0800, krewl <krewl@invalid.com> managed
>> to remove the duct tape and said:

>>> Thumbs up on BackupMan for me too. Just playing around (using an Sony
>>> SJ30), I've probably done over 100 backups and restores with
>>> BackupMan and always a perfect restore. Definitely rock solid!
>>
>> I concur. BackupMan it is. I was getting less that perfect restores
>> with BBVFS. Some of the apps serial numbers and preferences would not
>> come back.
>
>I tried BackupMan for a while and was horrified when I discovered that the
>data written to my SD card was not secured or encrypted in any way and could
>be freely accessed from another Palm or a PC with a card reader. I could see
>no settings to allow encryption and nothing mentioned on the website.
>
>I therefore changed to BackupBuddyVFS215 and have probably restored fully or
>partially about half a dozen times with no evident data loss. The data is
>encrypted and appears as gibberish when viewed on a PC with a card reader. I
>am much happier with that solution.

Yes, BackupBuddyVFS is fine too. I just had a couple of annoyances
with it. The one that really bugged me is that every other time I
restored, I had to redo my graffiti shortcuts and I seem to always get
perfect restores with BackupMan. I'm not concerned about encryption
personally, but I can see that of a concern for some depending on
their particular situations. In any case I am quite confident with
either BackupBuddyVFS or BackupMan.
November 10, 2004 3:41:13 AM

"krewl" <krewl@invalid.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 22:27:04 -0000, "Tiny Tim" <_tim_dodd@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Bruno wrote:

> >> I concur. BackupMan it is. I was getting less that perfect restores
> >> with BBVFS. Some of the apps serial numbers and preferences would not
> >> come back.
> >
> >I tried BackupMan for a while and was horrified when I discovered that
the
> >data written to my SD card was not secured or encrypted in any way and
could
> >be freely accessed from another Palm or a PC with a card reader. I could
see
> >no settings to allow encryption and nothing mentioned on the website.
> >
> >I therefore changed to BackupBuddyVFS215 and have probably restored fully
or
> >partially about half a dozen times with no evident data loss. The data is
> >encrypted and appears as gibberish when viewed on a PC with a card
reader. I
> >am much happier with that solution.
>
> Yes, BackupBuddyVFS is fine too. I just had a couple of annoyances
> with it. The one that really bugged me is that every other time I
> restored, I had to redo my graffiti shortcuts and I seem to always get
> perfect restores with BackupMan. I'm not concerned about encryption
> personally, but I can see that of a concern for some depending on
> their particular situations. In any case I am quite confident with
> either BackupBuddyVFS or BackupMan.

I can also recommend BackupMan. The people responsible for the program tell
me that the version under developement has an encryption option.

Les
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 3:41:14 AM

As an old Newton user, I developed a relationship with StandAlone's
software (customer that is).

I think most of their software is elegant and affordable. I use their
Right Back-Up as my back up program and enjoy the automatic nightly
back-ups while I sleep and the restores from my card seem perfect.

BTW, their Dragon Pinball and Bridge help me to pass the time (and, yes,
I know it would pass anyway).

harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?
Anonymous

Les wrote:
> I can also recommend BackupMan. The people responsible for the
> program tell me that the version under developement has an encryption
> option.
>
> Les

About time!!!! It is certainly pretty hopeless (for me) without that
feature. Still, I think I'll stick with BackupBuddy as they already seem to
have got to grips with the plot :-)
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 8:03:16 PM

"Tiny Tim" <_tim_dodd@hotmail.com> wrote in

> About time!!!! It is certainly pretty hopeless (for me) without that
> feature. Still, I think I'll stick with BackupBuddy as they already seem
> to have got to grips with the plot :-)

I must confess that I don't get the requirement for encrypting the backup.
If the data isn't encrypted on the Palm, then it's possible to get it. Any
data that I worry about others having remains encrypted until I decrypt it
for use, and is immediately reencrypted after use. I do not store sensitive
data in the clear on my Palm, so the data is encrypted inside the backup.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 8:03:17 PM

On 10 Nov 2004 17:03:16 GMT, Stan Gosnell <fakename@fakeaddress.com>
wrote:

>"Tiny Tim" <_tim_dodd@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> About time!!!! It is certainly pretty hopeless (for me) without that
>> feature. Still, I think I'll stick with BackupBuddy as they already seem
>> to have got to grips with the plot :-)
>
>I must confess that I don't get the requirement for encrypting the backup.
>If the data isn't encrypted on the Palm, then it's possible to get it. Any
>data that I worry about others having remains encrypted until I decrypt it
>for use, and is immediately reencrypted after use. I do not store sensitive
>data in the clear on my Palm, so the data is encrypted inside the backup.

This is the way I feel about it as well. I use a program called
Secret! to store passwords, credit card info etc. I am not totally
sure of the security of Secret!, but I feel better than having it
easily accessible on the handheld. I also use PDA Defense so that it
requires a password to open selected applications.
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 9:25:03 PM

Stan Gosnell wrote:
> "Tiny Tim" <_tim_dodd@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> About time!!!! It is certainly pretty hopeless (for me) without that
>> feature. Still, I think I'll stick with BackupBuddy as they already
>> seem to have got to grips with the plot :-)
>
> I must confess that I don't get the requirement for encrypting the
> backup. If the data isn't encrypted on the Palm, then it's possible
> to get it. Any data that I worry about others having remains
> encrypted until I decrypt it for use, and is immediately reencrypted
> after use. I do not store sensitive data in the clear on my Palm, so
> the data is encrypted inside the backup.

I use the (updated) Palm security protection offered by my T3 to encrypt my
palm_private files such as bank account details held in various memos. I
have intrusion protection enabled so these will be deleted after too many
(5) failed attempts with a wrong password. So while in the Palm memory these
are secure. But it seems that when they are copied to the SD card they are
decrypted on the fly (or when the Palm wakes up to perform the backup?) as
though it was me viewing them and thus they appear on the card in decrypted
form

For example, I could clearly see text like "Abbey National" and password
data that I recognised within the memos on the SD card. If the Palm was lost
or stolen the card could accessed on another Palm or a PC and that data
would be easily viewed.

Having said all that I just went to check my security settings and
discovered that encryption was disabled!? I don't know how that happened or
when but I did perform a hard reset and rebuild a few weeks back and may
have forgotten to set up security properly afterwards. But I'm sure my
problems with BackupMan were during a period when encryption was definitely
enabled. As BBVFS works I'm not going to experiment now but if I'm proved
wrong I shall have to eat my words ;-)
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 10:23:59 PM

krewl wrote:
> On 10 Nov 2004 17:03:16 GMT, Stan Gosnell <fakename@fakeaddress.com>
> wrote:
>
>> "Tiny Tim" <_tim_dodd@hotmail.com> wrote in
>>
>>> About time!!!! It is certainly pretty hopeless (for me) without that
>>> feature. Still, I think I'll stick with BackupBuddy as they already
>>> seem to have got to grips with the plot :-)
>>
>> I must confess that I don't get the requirement for encrypting the
>> backup. If the data isn't encrypted on the Palm, then it's possible
>> to get it. Any data that I worry about others having remains
>> encrypted until I decrypt it for use, and is immediately reencrypted
>> after use. I do not store sensitive data in the clear on my Palm,
>> so the data is encrypted inside the backup.
>
> This is the way I feel about it as well. I use a program called
> Secret! to store passwords, credit card info etc. I am not totally
> sure of the security of Secret!, but I feel better than having it
> easily accessible on the handheld. I also use PDA Defense so that it
> requires a password to open selected applications.

As the T3 provides encryption and intrusion protection I don't want to add a
further encryption program.

But if the data was not encrypted on the Palm, but the Palm was protected by
a PIN/password then how would you get the data off the Palm without knowing
the PIN/password?
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 5:13:49 AM

In message <41925d03$0$19793$ed2e19e4@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net> "Tiny
Tim" <_tim_dodd@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I use the (updated) Palm security protection offered by my T3 to encrypt my
>palm_private files such as bank account details held in various memos. I
>have intrusion protection enabled so these will be deleted after too many
>(5) failed attempts with a wrong password. So while in the Palm memory these
>are secure. But it seems that when they are copied to the SD card they are
>decrypted on the fly (or when the Palm wakes up to perform the backup?) as
>though it was me viewing them and thus they appear on the card in decrypted
>form

You're deluding yourself.

BackupSoftware doesn't do any magic decryption, it just copies the data
from memory to the card.

The fact that a GUI app asks for a password before showing you the data
isn't relevant.

Even if the data is encrypted, a lockout-after-5-tries dealy is only a
tool to slow down an inexperienced cracker. If somebody has physical
access to the Palm they can fairly easily move the files to POSE and
attempt to crack (through the GUI) as many times as they want, restoring
the Palm's entire memory as needed once the GUI locks them out.
Additionally, they can reverse engineer the encryption protocol and
write their own cracker which can brute force without limitation

--
When you're arguing with a fool, make sure he isn't doing the same thing.
Anonymous

DevilsPGD wrote:
> You're deluding yourself.
>
> BackupSoftware doesn't do any magic decryption, it just copies the
> data from memory to the card.
>
> The fact that a GUI app asks for a password before showing you the
> data isn't relevant.
>
> Even if the data is encrypted, a lockout-after-5-tries dealy is only a
> tool to slow down an inexperienced cracker. If somebody has physical
> access to the Palm they can fairly easily move the files to POSE and
> attempt to crack (through the GUI) as many times as they want,
> restoring the Palm's entire memory as needed once the GUI locks them
> out. Additionally, they can reverse engineer the encryption protocol
> and write their own cracker which can brute force without limitation

I'm talking about two separate things here....

1. The Palm encrypts my sensitive data and after 5 failed attempts to access
the data it is deleted. Of course if someone copies the whole Palm memory
into POSE then they can play all they like but I'm not worried about the
determined hacker, who I probably can't really protect against, as much as
the opportunist thief or me accidentally losing the thing.

2. The backup software (BackupBuddyVFS) DOES encrypt as it copies data to
the SD card. I have proved this by viewing backup files on my laptop with
encryption on and encryption off. With the former all I can see is
gibberish. With the latter I can clearly read the text of my contacts, memos
etc..

The problem I have experienced, using BackupMan (with no option to encrypt),
is that data which I thought was encrypted on the Palm is clearly visible
and decrypted when saved to the SD card, making the Palm security completely
worthless. With BackupBuddyVFS all the data on the card is encrypted
including data that I had not encrypted on the Palm.

I'm sure I'm not talking completely out of my a##e or why would the
BackupMan developers be adding an encryption facility to their software, as
someone posted earlier in this thread?
!