Big problems with 2 seagate drives, help needed!

Eeezee

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2005
I recently built a new computer for myself and I bought a brand new Seagate 250GB SATA drive to replace my Seagate 120GB PATA drive. The older drive is only around 9 months old.

I reformatted the SATA drive with a Windows XP Pro SP2 CD (probably my biggest mistake). Everything installed smoothly, and I copied over a bunch of data from another hard drive fine. I hooked up my PATA drive and deleted the partitions with disk management. When I went to reformat it, Windows gave a BSOD with a "MACHINE_EXCEPT_ERROR" message. I tried reformatting the PATA drive with the WinXP Install CD, and this worked fine.

I went ahead and downloaded Seagate's SeaTools diagnostic and gave both drives a full scan. It turns out that there are partition errors on BOTH drives (bad index) for EVERY partition (the 250GB drive is split into 3, 120GB is 1). Thankfully there are no bad sectors and no physical damage to either drive.

To resolve this I tried to use Seagate's Discwizard bootup tool to reformat the 120GB drive. I scanned it with SeaTools and no errors were detected (it had been partitioned correctly I guess). I wanted to rescue the files that I had backed up to the 250GB before a complete wipe. I copied around 40GB to the 120GB before the same BSOD message came up, MACHINE_EXCEPT_ERROR. Did a rescan of both drives with Seatools and both have partition damage again.

Is there any way for me to rescue the data off of the SATA disc before I reformat the whole thing? It has 3 partitions, 1 is for the OS (no important data), the other 2 are for storage. Also, what might be causing all of this?

Are you overlocking? If your SATA ports arn't locked then you would experiance problems like above. Same with the IDE.

G

The sata/ide frequency is locked and not dependant of the FSB. Because when you overclock the sata/ide frequency gets out of specs and weird stuff happens with your HD...

Doesnt apply if no OCing

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

G

And I guess you can get the data with a program called NTFS2DOS, never tryed this particular version mine was from Winternals...<A HREF="http://www.zdnet.fr/telecharger/windows/fiche/0,39021313,39059640s,00.htm" target="_new">Trys this</A>
Oops its in french, anywaqy google for a boot disk that will allow your to read NTFS disk, and then you can copy it to another drive...

Hope this helps some!

Other nice stuff Winternals recovery lets you recover file withotu actually using the partion tables, it constructs it itself(im pretty sure =Þ). Thats might help you too!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0