Heat spreader for ddr

GAVP

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2004
HI.
Is good to install aluminum heat spreader for the memory DDR ( Corsair Value Select DDR 400 VS1512mb400 C3) although don't be made overcloking ?

Does the aluminum heat spreader really lower the temperature of the memoirs and maintains them cool?
Thank you.

He didn't get the answer he wanted the first time... :eek:

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
I am going to try and answer your question the best I know how:

The heatsinks will keep the memory cooler, but if you're not going to overclock you really don't need them.
They will heat your RAM up.
Don't bother.
Heat sinks are not necessary.

But they do make the modules look nice don't they?

I've even seen some modules with christmas lights on them.
I hope this is good enough to set you on the right path.

<b><font color=red>Go date P4man or something, bye!</font color=red><b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It depends on how hot your modules get: The transfer between the chip and the spreader is usually less than perfect, so cool chips will get WARMER because of the poor transfer, but hot chips will get COOLER because of the increased surface area.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
the heat spreaders don't add much surface area imo... its like slapping a thing piece of metal on a cpu... its not gonna cool it. so if your not adding any more surface area to it, don't bother.. heat spreaders are more for bling

<font color=red>gforce mx100/200 @ 230/440 =]</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
eh, they roughly double the surface area. All the gaps between the chips, plus some area above it. But you're right, they're mostly for looks.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Heat and RAM normally arent an issue. The Heatspreader is mostly a marketing tool, and a very effective one. People think that if there RAM doenst have a heatspreader then it must not be the best.

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

<A HREF="http://valid.x86-secret.com/records.php?PHPSESSID=792e8f49d5d9b8a4d1ad6f40ca029756" target="_new">#2 CPUZ</A>
SuperPI 25secs