Windows XP version possible issue to upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonfly22588

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Ok, I'm going to be building a new PC. I have a copy of Windows XP Pro that a friend gave me 6.5 years ago and that I installed in my current computer. My objective is to ultimately upgrade to Windows 7 the cheapest way possible. I figure I will do this by first installing the copied version of Windows XP Pro on my new system and then buying the upgrade pack when prices go down when Windows 8 goes full retail.

Question is, will this plan work? I see two areas of potential problems. First, I may not be able to install onto a new computer. Second, even if I am, will I be able to install the upgrade to Windows 7 if I don't have a true version.

The reason I have more concerns is that I know I can't install applications like Microsoft Security Essentials because it somehow manages to determine that my version may not be "genuine." I believe I have also installed this version of windows on yet an even older computer and I remember that that computer had this pop up in the lower right hand corner saying my version was not genuine. I don't know why I don't have that pop up on my current computer but I just don't want any problems on my new build.

Thanks for all the help.

Solution
Since you have a pirated copy of Windows now, you'll have to buy the full retail version, not the upgrade. You do not meet the requirements for the upgrade, so it would be a pirated version as well if you installed it.

Also, since assisting with pirated software is against the rules of Tom's forums, do not be surprised to find this thread locked.

cl-scott

Honorable
Since you have a pirated copy of Windows now, you'll have to buy the full retail version, not the upgrade. You do not meet the requirements for the upgrade, so it would be a pirated version as well if you installed it.

Also, since assisting with pirated software is against the rules of Tom's forums, do not be surprised to find this thread locked.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.