Quick question - 200GB HD

Pulse5

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2003
Just got myself a 200GB HD recently, my quick question is can i format it to use all of that in one partition? I'm planning to use it as an external hard drive, connected via USB2, as a sort of backup/storage drive.

Thanks!

---------------------
Keyboard not found.
Press F1 to continue.

Pulse5

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2003
Well needless to say i managed to mess it up somehow heh...

To try to make this a short story, i used the Windows 2000 CD to format the hard drive.. Well it did, but it formated the first 131GB of it. SO i cancelled the install and deleted the partition. Went to pick up Partition Magic, but even in this for some reason it only registers this HD as 131GB, and doesnt show anything about empty space that should be the remainder of this 200 GB... i know its going to be a bit less, but i didnt plan on loosing out on 1/3 of the space!

Could this HD be bust or any quick tips on fixing this?

---------------------
Keyboard not found.
Press F1 to continue.

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
The original formatting scheme, Logical Block Address, used 32-bits to address a partition. This gives you some 137 gigabits of disk space, or 131 some od gigabytes.

With XP SP1+ or Windows 2K SP4, there's a registry key you can put in to enable larger addressing space. Google 48-bit LBA to find it.

Reformat the disk, but rather than using the Windows 2K CD, boot into your operating system as normal, plug the dive in, and open up the disk manager. The disk won't mount automatically, but you should see it there, and you'll be able to format it however you want.

Pulse5

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2003
Thanks! That website had exactly what i needed! :D

---------------------
Keyboard not found.
Press F1 to continue.

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
No problem

Jsut a quick reminder to you though. Should you re-install your operating system, remember to re-enable the extended LBA-support for the drive before trying to write to it. Forgot to do that once, and ended up losing a good majority of the data on the drive :(