Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Insprion 8600 won't boot to CD/DVD while trying to perform Windows 7 reinstall.

Last response: in Computer Brands
September 26, 2010 5:21:54 PM

I recently upgraded my Inspiron 8600 to Windows 7. The system "crashed" recently so am trying to do a repair install or complete reinstall. I have inserted the Windows upgrade disk; however, am unable to get it to boot to CD/DVD drive. I've gone into F2 and set boot order to CD/DVD Drive. Also have used F12 to boot to CD/DVD. When I turn it on screen turns black then eventually goes to the log-in screen. (FYI, my probelm is that I am not able to get the syetem to start normally. After log-in, Windows 7 will not start. It will not go past the screen that shows Welocme with he little roatating circle next to it.)

Best solution

Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
September 26, 2010 8:02:32 PM

I had this problem recently with a desktop and it turned out the CD drive was slightly faulty.

I have had an issue with a Dell latitude laptop where it wouldn't boot from CD if the hard drive wasn't present -- which fooled me into thinking the laptop was seriously faulty -- but inserting a hard drive solved. Odd.
September 27, 2010 12:43:43 AM

Quote:
I had this problem recently with a desktop and it turned out the CD drive was slightly faulty.

I have had an issue with a Dell latitude laptop where it wouldn't boot from CD if the hard drive wasn't present -- which fooled me into thinking the laptop was seriously faulty -- but inserting a hard drive solved. Odd.

Your reply gave me an idea. I swapped the CD/DVD drive module with a CD/DVD module from a Latitude D620 and I was able to succesfully boot to the Windows 7. Don't know why I didn't think of this before.

Thanks Filhart! You inspired me! LOL
m
l
October 4, 2010 1:40:39 PM

Best answer selected by dky500.
m
l
!