Reformat an old DELL

luckymike

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
So I have an OLD Dell system (2002) that I would like to reformat. My computer has gotten really slow and bogged down with useless junk over the years. I have a bunch of useless programs, documents, videos, pictures, and random junk that I never use. I have a bunch of windows updates, service packs, drivers, ect. that I have on the system as well (probably need these)

I really just want the computer to run faster... So what I would like to do is bacically start my computer over from scratch, deleting all these old programs and junk that I never use. I don't however want to have all the original useless programs that Dell pre-installs on the computer either...

Any tips on the best way to go about accomplishing this?

thanks

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If you ordered the XP disk with the machine, just run the CD and format your C Drive. You will have to back up anything you want to save and reinstall all your programs, drivers, and updates. Download the most recent Drivers from Dell and copy them to a CD so once Windows is installed you just to pop in the CD. If you just got the installation, a copy of the hdd when it left the factory, you'll get the crapware, although as long as you format, which should be an option, you'll clean out all the accumulated stuff you want to get rid of and would speed things up. Again, if you format you have to back up your data. You can always manual delete the crap and likely that either Spybot Search and Destroy and AdAware, both free, will get rid of some of it.

deijr1238

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
You didnt necessarily have yo get it when purchased, you can get it from them now. I would drop them an email or something, and request one via mail..

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

Every Dell restore disk I've seen 2001 or newer is just the OS, no Dell crapware installed at all. It's just an OEM OS install disk. Very nice.

TRENDING THREADS