[40k] Who fields Khorne Berserkers?

Just wondering, because I just recieved a CSM battleforce from eBay that I'm
using to bolster my assembled-but-still-unpainted Word Bearers, and I think
that instead of converting the included Berserkers, I'll set them up as a
Kill-team. If my math is correct, 8 Khornate Berserkers with chainaxes and
the free Asp Champ come out right at 160pts, and I figure I can build the
"spare" 4 with a variety of stuff (plasma pistols, maybe a daemon weapon or
two) for swapping out, or maybe fielding them as a part of a larger force.

But my question is, what Chaos forces field Berserkers? World Eaters (duh)
and the Black Legion seem like the only certain ones, and the other "main"
CSM Legions seem pretty explicitly disallowed from taking them, with
restrictions stating that the only available Mark of Chaos for them is
Undivided. But would some of the Renegade legions have Berserkers? Of all
the 'specialized' Chaos forces, the Berserkers seem like they'd be the most
widespread, since violence is near-universal in the 40k setting. So is
there any fluff pointing to Berserkers outside of the Black Legion and World
Eaters? If there were going to be Renegade Berserkers, which Loyal Marine
chapter would be most likely to produce them? Just in the interests of
having something different, I was considering painting them up as corrupted
Imperial Fists - "One more skull for Rogal Dorn!" - but I don't know if
that'd be appropriate or not. Help from the more fluff-savvy is humbly
requested.

PS for Myrmidon: they apparently threw a big double-scoopful of CSM
backpacks into the battleforce box I got, so I may be able to send you some
(15-20 of them) sooner than I'd expected. Let me know if you need them now,
or if you'd rather wait for the rest of the bitz we discussed.

--
Ken Coble

There are some sluggish men who are improved by drinking.
-Samuel Johnson

Hey,

Kenneth Coble wrote:
> what Chaos forces field Berserkers?

KBs have a problem with Slaaneshi authority, but -

Any non-Legion force with a MoK HQ may take KBs as Troops.

Any non-Legion force with MoN/ T/ U HQs may take KBs as Elites.

AFAICT, BL are WE are the only Legions that may take KBs.

Pointwise, only WE Units achieve Favoured status. :- /

> If there were going to be Renegade Berserkers, which Loyal Marine
> chapter would be most likely to produce them?

The World Eaters *were* a Loyalist Legion for millennia.

In 'contemporary' times, the likeliest Chapter would be Blood Angels.

> Just in the interests of
> having something different, I was considering painting them up as
corrupted
> Imperial Fists

Yikes! If you like a blue paint scheme, please keep in mind -

Pre-Heresy WE colors were blue with white.

You'd have to do something about those Bunny Hats, though.

Good luck!

Playa

--

"If you want to win anything - a race, yourself, your life -
you have to go a little berserk"

In article <86Sje.69861$Fa.2573945@twister.southeast.rr.com>, Kenneth
Coble, flintlocklaser@triad.rr.com Varfed out the following in Timo
speak...
> Just wondering, because I just recieved a CSM battleforce from eBay that I'm
> using to bolster my assembled-but-still-unpainted Word Bearers, and I think
> that instead of converting the included Berserkers, I'll set them up as a
> Kill-team. If my math is correct, 8 Khornate Berserkers with chainaxes and
> the free Asp Champ come out right at 160pts, and I figure I can build the
> "spare" 4 with a variety of stuff (plasma pistols, maybe a daemon weapon or
> two) for swapping out, or maybe fielding them as a part of a larger force.
>
> But my question is, what Chaos forces field Berserkers? World Eaters (duh)
> and the Black Legion seem like the only certain ones, and the other "main"
> CSM Legions seem pretty explicitly disallowed from taking them, with
> restrictions stating that the only available Mark of Chaos for them is
> Undivided. But would some of the Renegade legions have Berserkers? Of all
> the 'specialized' Chaos forces, the Berserkers seem like they'd be the most
> widespread, since violence is near-universal in the 40k setting. So is
> there any fluff pointing to Berserkers outside of the Black Legion and World
> Eaters? If there were going to be Renegade Berserkers, which Loyal Marine
> chapter would be most likely to produce them? Just in the interests of
> having something different, I was considering painting them up as corrupted
> Imperial Fists - "One more skull for Rogal Dorn!" - but I don't know if
> that'd be appropriate or not. Help from the more fluff-savvy is humbly
> requested.

If I recall correctly, you could take one unit with another 'Chaos
God' specific force if you took the correct marks - not sure if that's
Black Legion only? (The most recent Chaos codex is to make my brain
ache.) At any rate, (again IIRC) from a fluff stand point - the
followers of Khorne tended to be most likely allied with Nurgle - Nurgle
and Khnore = death and decay, where as Slannesh and Tezeench = warp and
twist things to ruin. As for marines from a rogue chapter, I don't see
why you couldn't do that. There was the whole Huron Blackheart - Baddab
rebellion with the Red Corsairs going renegade. And I know they've
mentioned others. I'm just not sure about 'Bright Yellow' Berserkers.
:)

> PS for Myrmidon: they apparently threw a big double-scoopful of CSM
> backpacks into the battleforce box I got, so I may be able to send you some
> (15-20 of them) sooner than I'd expected. Let me know if you need them now,
> or if you'd rather wait for the rest of the bitz we discussed.

Either way on the packs is ok with me - I just ordered a few, but I'm
going to need a bunch as I've got a lot of old Rogue Trader era lead
chaos marines like the old Renegades and World Eaters (with the blood
letter heads) that need packs. I should get your 'Lead Nought' in the
mail this Wednesday. I just got the (@!#%$!) Plextor DVD drive to burn
CD's correctly - apparently it doesn't like the older CD media I had so
I got some new (faster burning media) and it's working like a champ now.
Unfortunately I didn't get it done before the post office closed at noon
- so I'll include the copy of the Archives and the Dread and get it out
on Wednesday (unless I can talk my wife into mailing on Tuesday.)

Later,

Myrmidon

--
"I'm already impoverished from buying wargames minis,
and I'm too knackered for riotous living..."

-- Moramarth

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

"Kenneth Coble" <flintlocklaser@triad.rr.com> wrote in message

> So is there any fluff pointing to Berserkers outside of the Black Legion
> and World Eaters?

the world eaters list can represent any khorne berzerker army; it doesn't
necessarily imply that every marine in it (or even necessarily any of them)
originally came from the world eaters legion. I think the idea is that
berzerkers tend to gravitate to their own indepedent warbands without any
higher affiliations (except to the blood god, of course), and that berzerker
squads fielded by other legion armies represent these guys being employed as
mercenaries.

"Kenneth Coble" <flintlocklaser@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> Just wondering, because I just recieved a CSM battleforce from eBay that
> I'm using to bolster my assembled-but-still-unpainted Word Bearers, and I
> think that instead of converting the included Berserkers, I'll set them up
> as a Kill-team. If my math is correct, 8 Khornate Berserkers with
> chainaxes and the free Asp Champ come out right at 160pts, and I figure I
> can build the "spare" 4 with a variety of stuff (plasma pistols, maybe a
> daemon weapon or two) for swapping out, or maybe fielding them as a part
> of a larger force.
>
> But my question is, what Chaos forces field Berserkers? World Eaters
> (duh) and the Black Legion seem like the only certain ones, and the other
> "main" CSM Legions seem pretty explicitly disallowed from taking them,
> with restrictions stating that the only available Mark of Chaos for them
> is Undivided. But would some of the Renegade legions have Berserkers? Of
> all the 'specialized' Chaos forces, the Berserkers seem like they'd be the
> most widespread, since violence is near-universal in the 40k setting. So
> is there any fluff pointing to Berserkers outside of the Black Legion and
> World Eaters? If there were going to be Renegade Berserkers, which Loyal
> Marine chapter would be most likely to produce them? Just in the
> interests of having something different, I was considering painting them
> up as corrupted Imperial Fists - "One more skull for Rogal Dorn!" - but I
> don't know if that'd be appropriate or not. Help from the more
> fluff-savvy is humbly requested.

Fluff-wise, IIRC there is a section in the fluff attached to Kharn the
Betrayer that says that the World Eaters themselves fragmented into a whole
bunch of war bands, so really any army could fluffily have a World Eater
contingent attached, drawn by the promise of foes to fight. That could be
ideal for a kill team.

But, according to the book, to pick berzerkers as troops, the army has to be
led by a model with the mark of khorne, not just have a HQ choice with the
mark. Is an army led by all (both) its HQ choices, or just one? And you
only get the free asp champ in a World Eater army, though it would be a
harsh opponent to stop you from playing a pure khornate army with marines
from another chapter. So your kill team should easily fall into either of
these categories.

Iron Warriors, Night Lords, Word Bearers and Alpha Legion armies all are
specifically limited to marks of chaos undivided. But nothing wrong with
using the main list, and a legion of your choice, though you then miss out
on all those special rules.

Still, it does beg the question of why the army boxes contain berzerkers at
all, when most players would presumably rather have more normal chaos
marines, even if only to then convert them with god specific bits to bulk
out any dedicated chaos army.

Alan

Thanks to everyone for all the good replies. I am just going to build this
one unit of them, so I guess I'll try to come up with some weird color
scheme where I can claim they're World Eaters if I need to placate my
opponent (and get the free Asp Champ), or some independent Berzerker cult if
I want to.

I am hesitantly considering painting them predominantly brass, which is in
keeping with the Khorne/World Eaters colors without being the plain old WE
red/brass; but an all-metallic Kill-team might be a bit too much. Maybe if
I did them in a tarnished brass look with some verdigris effects, I could
give them some backstory as some elite Khornate warband that's been out in
the wilds for years or something. In any event, thanks again to everyone.

--

"Kenneth Coble" <flintlocklaser@triad.rr.com> writes:

> Thanks to everyone for all the good replies. I am just going to
> build this one unit of them, so I guess I'll try to come up with
> some weird color scheme where I can claim they're World Eaters if I
> need to placate my opponent (and get the free Asp Champ), or some
> independent Berzerker cult if I want to.

I think you miss the point.

If you play an all out berzerker army you get the free champ.

If you have berzerkers in a normal army they count as Elite (unless
led by general with MoK) and NEVER get the free champ.

As long as all you follow the list for World Eaters it doesn't matter
if they really are World Eaters they still get the champ. And if you
use the normal list it doesn't matter either they still don't get it.

/Luna
--
Daniel Luna | Top reasons that I have a beard:
luna@update.uu.se | a) Laziness.

Daniel Luna wrote:
> "Kenneth Coble" <flintlocklaser@triad.rr.com> writes:
>
>> Thanks to everyone for all the good replies. I am just going to
>> build this one unit of them, so I guess I'll try to come up with
>> some weird color scheme where I can claim they're World Eaters if I
>> need to placate my opponent (and get the free Asp Champ), or some
>> independent Berzerker cult if I want to.
>
> I think you miss the point.

No, I think I got the point.

> If you play an all out berzerker army you get the free champ.

Yes. As in the "claim they're World Eaters" statement above.

> If you have berzerkers in a normal army they count as Elite (unless
> led by general with MoK) and NEVER get the free champ.

Yes. As in the "some independent Berzerker cult" statement above.

> As long as all you follow the list for World Eaters it doesn't matter
> if they really are World Eaters they still get the champ. And if you
> use the normal list it doesn't matter either they still don't get it.

Right. When I play them as an independent Kill-team I'll be adhering to the
WE list, and I'll get the free champ, regardless of if I say they're true
honest WEs or if I claim their the Fallen Brothers of the Imperial Florists
Association. But if I try and field them with some other CSM units (like
the KSons I got recently, or even my Word Bearers, so long as I leave out
the Chaplain) I'll have to use the undifferentiated 'parent' CSM list and
have to pay for the Asp Champ. That's what I was trying to say above,
although I may not have been clear enough. In any event, thanks.

--
Ken Coble