folder incryption

How can I put a password on a folder?? when i click on properties, and
advanced the "encrypt contents"box is faded and I cannot click on it....any
input????
5 answers Last reply
More about folder incryption

    "Derek" <Derek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >How can I put a password on a folder?? when i click on properties, and
    >advanced the "encrypt contents"box is faded and I cannot click on it....any
    >input????

    You can't. WinXP doesn't use passwords for file or directory access
    control. If you're running XP Pro you can decide which users will be
    able to access which files and directories, and exactly what each user
    will be able to do there. Right-click the file or folder in Windows
    Explorer, select "Properties", click the "Security" tab.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(DTS)

    Are you using the home edition?

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Derek wrote:

    > How can I put a password on a folder?? when i click on properties, and
    > advanced the "encrypt contents"box is faded and I cannot click on it....any
    > input????

    yes i am

    "S.Sengupta" wrote:

    > Are you using the home edition?
    >
    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    >
    > Derek wrote:
    >
    > > How can I put a password on a folder?? when i click on properties, and
    > > advanced the "encrypt contents"box is faded and I cannot click on it....any
    > > input????

    Hi Derek,
    You download and install Tweak UI.In the Tweak UI window, select Explorer
    In the right side of the window under Settings, locate "Show 'Encrypt'
    on context menu" and check the box.

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Derek wrote:

    > yes i am
    >
    > "S.Sengupta" wrote:
    >

    >>Are you using the home edition?
    >>
    >>regards,
    >>ssg MS-MVP
    >>
    >>Derek wrote:
    >>

    >>>How can I put a password on a folder?? when i click on properties, and
    >>>advanced the "encrypt contents"box is faded and I cannot click on it....any
    >>>input????

    i downloaded tweak..and checked the box...yet it is still faded......??? any
    guesses??? thanks

    "S.Sengupta" wrote:

    > Hi Derek,
    > You download and install Tweak UI.In the Tweak UI window, select Explorer
    > In the right side of the window under Settings, locate "Show 'Encrypt'
    > on context menu" and check the box.
    >
    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    >
    > Derek wrote: