Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What does 'System Restore' do?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
July 29, 2005 2:59:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Howdy All,

I'm looking for a definitive answer on System Restore.

1) Does it 'restore' the registry to that date, cleanup ALL references added
since then?

2) Will it level files intact which were added since that date (i.e. docs,
PDFs, etc.)?

3) Does it remove programs installed since that date?

Thanks and sorry for my ignorance!

Brian

More about : system restore

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 2:59:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

See:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/p...
And:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport...
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP - (IE/OE)
~IB-CA~

"Brian" <treddderx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:%23GMvIaFlFHA.320@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Howdy All,
>
> I'm looking for a definitive answer on System Restore.
>
> 1) Does it 'restore' the registry to that date, cleanup ALL references
> added since then?
>
> 2) Will it level files intact which were added since that date (i.e. docs,
> PDFs, etc.)?
>
> 3) Does it remove programs installed since that date?
>
> Thanks and sorry for my ignorance!
>
> Brian
>
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 3:04:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Ok, while we are not the subject, would everybody think I'm mad if I
said that RESTORE once deleted my data files? I swear it happened, and
after that I removed a couple of partitions from the SYSTEM RESTORE
drive list (whatever it's properly called).

If SYSTEM RESTORE is supposed to touch primarily system files, I can't
help but wonder why it would want to look at drives that are not system
drives. Anyway, I am somewhat apprehensive about using RESTORE after
that experience.

Am I the only one who had lost data? Was I dreaming? Any comments?
Related resources
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 4:19:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Brian wrote:
> Howdy All,
>
> I'm looking for a definitive answer on System Restore.
>
> 1) Does it 'restore' the registry to that date, cleanup ALL references added
> since then?

Yes, it restores the registry. It is possible that some references in
the current user portion of the registry will remain.

> 2) Will it level files intact which were added since that date (i.e. docs,
> PDFs, etc.)?

It will not touch your documents.

> 3) Does it remove programs installed since that date?

Partially, although some things may be left behind if they are files or
locations not monitored by System Restore.

For additional info on System Restore, see the following articles:

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore in Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/p...

Understanding System Restore
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/window...
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows
http://support.telop.org

Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 7:31:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

System Restore What's Restored and What's Not
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#WhatsRestored

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23GMvIaFlFHA.320@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Brian <treddderx@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
> Howdy All,
>
> I'm looking for a definitive answer on System Restore.
>
> 1) Does it 'restore' the registry to that date, cleanup ALL references
> added since then?
>
> 2) Will it level files intact which were added since that date (i.e. docs,
> PDFs, etc.)?
>
> 3) Does it remove programs installed since that date?
>
> Thanks and sorry for my ignorance!
>
> Brian
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 10:16:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Bert Kinney ha scritto:

> When you say "RESTORE" along with loss of all data file, I would suspect that an OEM
> restore disk was used to reinstall Windows XP. That's what most restore disks do.

I didn't say ALL my data - just a couple of files. I am adequately
familiar with SYSTEM RESTORE, which I'd used successfully several times.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 10:55:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi,

When you say "RESTORE" along with loss of all data file, I would suspect that an OEM
restore disk was used to reinstall Windows XP. That's what most restore disks do.

System Restore is a utility native to Windows XP and was not designed to touch data files.
Here is list of list of files and folders System Restore Monitors.
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/filesfolders.html

Letting System Restore monitor partitions other than the one Windows is installed on is
not necessary, and can lead to very large restore points.

Here are some tips on keeping System Restore Healthy.
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org



bxf wrote:
> Ok, while we are not the subject, would everybody think
> I'm mad if I said that RESTORE once deleted my data
> files? I swear it happened, and after that I removed a
> couple of partitions from the SYSTEM RESTORE drive list
> (whatever it's properly called).
>
> If SYSTEM RESTORE is supposed to touch primarily system
> files, I can't help but wonder why it would want to look
> at drives that are not system drives. Anyway, I am
> somewhat apprehensive about using RESTORE after that
> experience.
>
> Am I the only one who had lost data? Was I dreaming? Any
> comments?
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 2:04:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore in Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/f...

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Brian wrote:
> Howdy All,
>
> I'm looking for a definitive answer on System Restore.
>
> 1) Does it 'restore' the registry to that date, cleanup ALL references added
> since then?
>
> 2) Will it level files intact which were added since that date (i.e. docs,
> PDFs, etc.)?
>
> 3) Does it remove programs installed since that date?
>
> Thanks and sorry for my ignorance!
>
> Brian
>
>
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 2:29:29 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

What was the file extension of the files that were missing?

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org


bxf wrote:
> Bert Kinney ha scritto:
>
>> When you say "RESTORE" along with loss of all data file,
>> I would suspect that an OEM restore disk was used to
>> reinstall Windows XP. That's what most restore disks do.
>
> I didn't say ALL my data - just a couple of files. I am
> adequately familiar with SYSTEM RESTORE, which I'd used
> successfully several times.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 6:28:11 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Bert Kinney wrote:
> What was the file extension of the files that were missing?

Sorry, too long ago to say with certainty, but I think they were a
couple of folders containing JPEGs, etc. I did view the MS site
providing SYSTEM RESTORE info, including the list of extensions that
are monitored, and none of those would be applicable.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 7:58:59 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

bxf wrote:
> Bert Kinney wrote:
> > What was the file extension of the files that were missing?
>
> Sorry, too long ago to say with certainty, but I think they were a
> couple of folders containing JPEGs, etc. I did view the MS site
> providing SYSTEM RESTORE info, including the list of extensions that
> are monitored, and none of those would be applicable.

Whoops, someting just clicked while I was reading another post, and I
think I just remembered something. I may have lost my DOWNLOADs folder
(or part thereof), which is on my D partition. Of course, this folder
contained EXE type files, so that would explain why SYSTEM RESTORE
included this folder in its processing.

However, this makes things rather risky, unless one know this advance
and disables specific drives/partitions from SYSTEM RESTORE. I don't
recall if it touched anything on my second OS (dual booting).
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 6:04:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi,

< inline >

bxf wrote:
> bxf wrote:
>> Bert Kinney wrote:
>>> What was the file extension of the files that were
>>> missing?
>>
>> Sorry, too long ago to say with certainty, but I think
>> they were a couple of folders containing JPEGs, etc. I
>> did view the MS site providing SYSTEM RESTORE info,
>> including the list of extensions that are monitored, and
>> none of those would be applicable.
>
> Whoops, someting just clicked while I was reading another
> post, and I think I just remembered something. I may have
> lost my DOWNLOADs folder (or part thereof), which is on
> my D partition. Of course, this folder contained EXE type
> files, so that would explain why SYSTEM RESTORE included
> this folder in its processing.

System Restore should not have touched any unmonitored files in the folder.
The best advise is to only let System Restore monitor the partition Windows is installed
on.

> However, this makes things rather risky, unless one know
> this advance and disables specific drives/partitions from
> SYSTEM RESTORE. I don't recall if it touched anything on
> my second OS (dual booting).

If the partition with that the second OS is installed on is being monitored by SR, then
yes it will effected. And another problem arises, if changes are made to the WinXP
partition from the second OS. Any changes made to monitored file while the OS is not
running will cause restore point corruption. And the loss of all restore points.

All About System Restore in WinXP
http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 6:12:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Bert Kinney wrote:

> > bxf wrote:

> > Whoops, someting just clicked while I was reading another
> > post, and I think I just remembered something. I may have
> > lost my DOWNLOADs folder (or part thereof), which is on
> > my D partition. Of course, this folder contained EXE type
> > files, so that would explain why SYSTEM RESTORE included
> > this folder in its processing.
>
> System Restore should not have touched any unmonitored files in the folder.

Well, this is the whole problem. I didn't expect SR to touch non-system
files. I cannot easily accept the notion that just because a file has
(e.g.) an EXE extension, that it automatically qualifies as a system
file.

But, you are saying "unmonitored files". I'm aware that one can set
partitions to be excluded from SR. Off hand, I don't recall seeing
anything that provides control at the FILE or FOLDER level.

> The best advise is to only let System Restore monitor the partition Windows is installed
> on.

That's what I've been saying, and I've excluded non-system partitions
from SR monitoring. Not a problem once one understands the process.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 8:39:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

>>> bxf wrote:
>
>>> Whoops, someting just clicked while I was reading
>>> another post, and I think I just remembered something.
>>> I may have lost my DOWNLOADs folder (or part thereof),
>>> which is on my D partition. Of course, this folder
>>> contained EXE type files, so that would explain why
>>> SYSTEM RESTORE included this folder in its processing.
>>
>> System Restore should not have touched any unmonitored
>> files in the folder.
>
> Well, this is the whole problem. I didn't expect SR to
> touch non-system files. I cannot easily accept the notion
> that just because a file has (e.g.) an EXE extension,
> that it automatically qualifies as a system file.

Here's where the misunderstanding lies. <g> System Restore monitors .exe files weather
they are "System" file or not. All file extensions in the monitored list are monitored
regardless, unless they are placed in an unmonitored folder, such as the My Documents
folder.

List of Files and Folders System Restore Monitors
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/filesfolders.html#ff3

> But, you are saying "unmonitored files". I'm aware that
> one can set partitions to be excluded from SR. Off hand,
> I don't recall seeing anything that provides control at
> the FILE or FOLDER level.
>
>> The best advise is to only let System Restore monitor
>> the partition Windows is installed on.
>
> That's what I've been saying, and I've excluded
> non-system partitions from SR monitoring. Not a problem
> once one understands the process.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org
!