Live cable TV on computer

Hello,
As the thread title says, i want to connect my computer with my cable TV signal to watch high quality TV on it. I got the Windows media center (included with Windows 7 professional) so software shouldn't be a problem. But the big problem is that I got cablecom as a TV provider (I live in Switzerland...). They somehow code their signal so that a regular TV Tuner can't decode it or that's at least what I heard. To watch TV we got a so called "media box recorder, Cisco HD DVR" from cablecom (but the recording options are "locked" as i don't have the full subscription). I heard from somebody that it's possible to somehow "extract" the signal from the mediabox but i couldn't find anything online...
Can anybody help me? Just ask if you need more details.

Thanks a lot!

ABBDVD
4 answers Last reply
More about live cable computer
  1. the cable connects to the input of the media box
    the media box output connects to the cable TV input on the computer
    The computer tuner stays on channel 3 all the time
    the media box channel is changed to view different channels

extract? that's basically illegal
  2. but this way i couldn't use the regular TV at the same time which would be quite a problem (not that i watch TV at 2 places at the same time but other people want to watch TV too -.- )...
    And another bigger problem is that the media box is like 2 rooms away. I would need to cross almost the whole house to change the channel.
  3. sorry you need two media boxes, probably no other solution.
  4. that's an answer i didn't hope for.
    I might have to consider changing the provider which would mean that i would have to change the internet provider too (or pay much more). But before that i have to check first if any other provider is available...
Ask a new question

Read More

Digital TV TV Computer Cable Home Theatre