[WFB] GW Sneak Peek - Wood Elf Highborn

http://uk.games-workshop.com/sneakpeeks/warhammer/image1.jpg

Isn't Highborn the name of a Dark Elf Lord? I thought they were trying
to give each race's characters distinct names. It seems that not only
can Wood Elf heroes now take great weapons, they get heavy armour too -
looking at it, full plate armour might be appropriate... They don't
seem to have access to a barber, though. This is a good model, but its
ostentatiousness seems a world away from the feral, semi-primitive
character of the new army. I like the attention to detail, though - the
bow and quiver look very nicely-done. The pose also looks as though
this would be an easy model to convert for a monster or cavalry mount.
Best to either rebase him altogether, find something else to hold the
tree up or at the very least paint the sprite-gnoblar thing something
other than that shade of blue. Why are all these Wood Elves accompanied
by suspiciously gnoblar-like fairies anyway? On the 1-5 scale I've been
using, 4 (I think it's the same model as one I previously gave a 5, but
this is a better view of it).

pbowles@aol.com schrieb:
> http://uk.games-workshop.com/sneakpeeks/warhammer/image1.jpg
>
> Isn't Highborn the name of a Dark Elf Lord? I thought they were trying
> to give each race's characters distinct names. It seems that not only
> can Wood Elf heroes now take great weapons, they get heavy armour too -
Might be a Dark Elf after all...
Do WE not get a new rare selection close combat unit? WE-heros might
get access to heavy armour and two handed waepons as well then -or it
is one of the magic weapons which are to good to be left at home.

> looking at it, full plate armour might be appropriate...
Think of it as leather armour.

>They don't
> seem to have access to a barber, though.
:)
It's the new feral part...

> This is a good model, but its
> ostentatiousness seems a world away from the feral, semi-primitive
> character of the new army.
See above...and the use of oversized two-handed weapons is GW's idea of
'semi-primitive character' so far, why should they treat wood elves any
better?

> I like the attention to detail, though - the
> bow and quiver look very nicely-done. The pose also looks as though
> this would be an easy model to convert for a monster or cavalry mount.
As we were told that wood elves get two new dragon rider miniatures but
no new dragon probably no one wants to convert a hero miniature into a
monster mount.

> Best to either rebase him altogether, find something else to hold the
> tree up or at the very least paint the sprite-gnoblar thing something
> other than that shade of blue.
> Why are all these Wood Elves accompanied
> by suspiciously gnoblar-like fairies anyway?
These are strange. Wonder what they are -one more reason to buy the
army book.

> On the 1-5 scale I've been
> using, 4 (I think it's the same model as one I previously gave a 5, but
> this is a better view of it).
The miniature is nice, but iirc almost same mini exists with a spear
instead
of the sword -that one is still better.
Christof

>pbow...@aol.com schrieb:
>

>> http://uk.games-workshop.com/s­neakpeeks/warhammer/image1.jpg
>
>Do WE not get a new rare selection close combat unit?

Depends what you mean by 'new', I suppose - Eternal Guard are basically
the new, heavily-upgraded version of the old Glade Guard spearmen. But
yes, they do get heavy armour closely resembling this. They don't have
two-handed weapons, but they do have staffswords, which also appear to
be available to characters - the Bladesinger in GW's Wardancer sneak
peak is armed with one.

In one of the first early 'spoilers' about the new WE, GW confirmed in
White Dwarf that the Wood Elves would get some form of heavy cavalry -
I haven't heard anything more about it, but at a guess they've given
Glade Riders the option to take heavy armour (and presumably lose Fast
Cavalry in the process) - the model looks more heavily-armoured than
the current ones. It would be really stupid if the horse's leather
armour counts as barding, though - a 3+ save is probably the best they
get.

>>They don't
>> seem to have access to a barber, though.
>

>:)
>It's the new feral part...

I get the idea, but it makes him look a bit too much like the early
Valten.

>> This is a good model, but its
>> ostentatiousness seems a world away from the feral, semi-primitive
>> character of the new army.
>

>See above...and the use of oversized two-handed weapons is GW's idea of
>'semi-primitive character' so far, why should they treat wood elves any
>better?

They're not Orc-primitive...

>> I like the attention to detail, though - the
>> bow and quiver look very nicely-done. The pose also looks as though
>> this would be an easy model to convert for a monster or cavalry mount.
>

>As we were told that wood elves get two new dragon rider miniatures but
>no new dragon probably no one wants to convert a hero miniature into a
>monster mount.

Why do you say that? The existing WE Dragon is a good model - leagues
better than the Talisman-based dragons (let alone the Chaos and Zombie
Dragons), and the very fact that it does have two riders makes it
necessary to convert (or lose one of them) if you want a dragon-rider.
However, I was thinking more of an eagle-rider - his two-handed weapon
pose is very similar to one I was planning for my eagle-riding Lord
some time ago (I really hope the new Eagles are good - my High Elves
could benefit as well if they are). The WE are also getting a new
monster mount, the one described as an 'elk' - who knows if that will
be worth using or not?

>> Best to either rebase him altogether, find something else to hold the
>> tree up or at the very least paint the sprite-gnoblar thing something
>> other than that shade of blue.
>> Why are all these Wood Elves accompanied
>> by suspiciously gnoblar-like fairies anyway?
>

>These are strange. Wonder what they are -one more reason to buy the
>army book.

At a guess they are sprites, but why they look related to greenskins
we'll have to read the book to find out (I still think the army should
have sprite swarms). At least the gnoblat-like ones are better than the
vaguely lizardy-ones the Treeman's covered in.

>> On the 1-5 scale I've been
>> using, 4 (I think it's the same model as one I previously gave a 5, but
>> this is a better view of it).
>

>The miniature is nice, but iirc almost same mini exists with a spear
>instead
>of the sword -that one is still better.

That's the one I'm thinking of, but are you sure they aren't the same
model? This great weapon looks like a thick-bladed spear, so it might
have been the same from a different angle. The WE are being very
well-served by hero models - so far I count three infantry heroes (this
weapon, bow, and one with a spear in a one-handed pose) and two
enchantresses on foot, and there will presumably be cavalry figures too
as well as the monster riders, special characters, Bladesinger and
Dryad character. I doubt they're getting a fourth Highborn/Glade
Guardian variant (though they might package him with the option for
either a great weapon or a staffsword, I suppose).

Philip Bowles

pbowles@aol.com schrieb:
> >pbow...@aol.com schrieb:
> >

> >> http://uk.games-workshop.com/s­neakpeeks/warhammer/image1.jpg
> >
> >Do WE not get a new rare selection close combat unit?
>
> Depends what you mean by 'new', I suppose - Eternal Guard are basically
> the new, heavily-upgraded version of the old Glade Guard spearmen.
OK, I thougt it would be a new unit.

> But yes, they do get heavy armour closely resembling this.
See?

> They don't have
> two-handed weapons, but they do have staffswords, which also appear to
> be available to characters - the Bladesinger in GW's Wardancer sneak
> peak is armed with one.
So it probably is a magic weapon option for we-heros.

> In one of the first early 'spoilers' about the new WE, GW confirmed in
> White Dwarf that the Wood Elves would get some form of heavy cavalry -
> I haven't heard anything more about it, but at a guess they've given
> Glade Riders the option to take heavy armour (and presumably lose Fast
> Cavalry in the process) - the model looks more heavily-armoured than
> the current ones. It would be really stupid if the horse's leather
> armour counts as barding, though - a 3+ save is probably the best they
> get.
Another rumour says that GW never said we get heavy cavalry, just
something *like* heavy cavallry in effect -now we treekin.

> >>They don't
> >> seem to have access to a barber, though.
> >:)
> >It's the new feral part...
> I get the idea, but it makes him look a bit too much like the early
> Valten.
Which means it works.

> >> This is a good model, but its
> >> ostentatiousness seems a world away from the feral, semi-primitive
> >> character of the new army.
> >See above...and the use of oversized two-handed weapons is GW's idea of
> >'semi-primitive character' so far, why should they treat wood elves any
> >better?
> They're not Orc-primitive...
No, they are elf-primitive.

> >> I like the attention to detail, though - the
> >> bow and quiver look very nicely-done. The pose also looks as though
> >> this would be an easy model to convert for a monster or cavalry mount.
> >As we were told that wood elves get two new dragon rider miniatures but
> >no new dragon probably no one wants to convert a hero miniature into a
> >monster mount.
> Why do you say that? The existing WE Dragon is a good model
Don't get me wrong, the wood elf dragon is the best GW-Dragon in
production. I just won't need another one and it will be difficult
enough to find mounts for the existing two new modells :)

> - leagues
> better than the Talisman-based dragons (let alone the Chaos and Zombie
> Dragons), and the very fact that it does have two riders makes it
> necessary to convert (or lose one of them) if you want a dragon-rider.
I might get tempted to put one of the new dragon riders on K. Franz's
griffon and use him as an eagle mounted hero -but what am I going to do
with the other one? ;->

> However, I was thinking more of an eagle-rider - his two-handed weapon
> pose is very similar to one I was planning for my eagle-riding Lord
> some time ago (I really hope the new Eagles are good - my High Elves
> could benefit as well if they are).
The best eagle released so far is the one on the back of the 4rth ed.
bestiary. After that we got some giant war-chickens and the lotr eagle
-which is nice but far too expensive in a boxed set with just another
two wizards.

> The WE are also getting a new
> monster mount, the one described as an 'elk' - who knows if that will
> be worth using or not?
An elk? This would have been a nice unit, mounts with lance attacks are
fine -even with movement 7 or 8. But as a mount for a hero? This makes
me think of uniconrs with movement 7 an additional point of toughness,
no magic resistance and still a large target -> slow, large and no use
at all. But let us wait and see.

> >> Best to either rebase him altogether, find something else to hold the
> >> tree up or at the very least paint the sprite-gnoblar thing something
> >> other than that shade of blue.
> >> Why are all these Wood Elves accompanied
> >> by suspiciously gnoblar-like fairies anyway?
> >These are strange. Wonder what they are -one more reason to buy the
> >army book.
> At a guess they are sprites, but why they look related to greenskins
> we'll have to read the book to find out (I still think the army should
> have sprite swarms). At least the gnoblat-like ones are better than the
> vaguely lizardy-ones the Treeman's covered in.
Perhaps we get some more stories about fairy folk in loren, these small
fellows might be Orions and Ariells eyes as well as less than helpful
spirits. I'd like some more Puck than Oberon -oh sorry Orion fairíes
anyway.

> >> On the 1-5 scale I've been
> >> using, 4 (I think it's the same model as one I previously gave a 5, but
> >> this is a better view of it).
> >The miniature is nice, but iirc almost same mini exists with a spear
> >instead
> >of the sword -that one is still better.
>
> That's the one I'm thinking of, but are you sure they aren't the same
> model? This great weapon looks like a thick-bladed spear, so it might
> have been the same from a different angle. The WE are being very
> well-served by hero models - so far I count three infantry heroes (this
> weapon, bow, and one with a spear in a one-handed pose) and two
> enchantresses on foot, and there will presumably be cavalry figures too
> as well as the monster riders, special characters, Bladesinger and
> Dryad character. I doubt they're getting a fourth Highborn/Glade
> Guardian variant (though they might package him with the option for
> either a great weapon or a staffsword, I suppose).
The weapon seems to be a seperate part, so two weapon options seem
reasonable -or easy to convert. And yes the woodelves get a complete
new line o miniatures, and not the badest released lately.
Christof

>pbow...@aol.com schrieb:

>> >Do WE not get a new rare selection close combat unit?
>

>> Depends what you mean by 'new', I suppose - Eternal Guard are basically
>> the new, heavily-upgraded version of the old Glade Guard spearmen.
>

>OK, I thougt it would be a new unit.

It sort of is - it's just a replacement for a similar old unit that's
been removed from the army list. :) From what we've seen so far only
the Treekin are truly new, though there's still the chance that the
heavy cav unit will be a separate entry rather than a GR upgrade.

>> They don't have
>> two-handed weapons, but they do have staffswords, which also appear to
>> be available to characters - the Bladesinger in GW's Wardancer sneak
>> peak is armed with one.
>

>So it probably is a magic weapon option for we-heros.

I think it's a normal great weapon - the blurb accompanying this on the
GW site specifies that WE Highborns can take great weapons now.
However, I imagine the design was chosen so that it can count as a
Hunting Spear if the player wants it to (or even a normal if
highly-elaborate spear). At least two of the new Wardancer models are
armed with great weapons, though - make of that what you will.

>> In one of the first early 'spoilers' about the new WE, GW confirmed in
>> White Dwarf that the Wood Elves would get some form of heavy cavalry -
>> I haven't heard anything more about it, but at a guess they've given
>> Glade Riders the option to take heavy armour (and presumably lose Fast
>> Cavalry in the process) - the model looks more heavily-armoured than
>> the current ones. It would be really stupid if the horse's leather
>> armour counts as barding, though - a 3+ save is probably the best they
>> get.
>

>Another rumour says that GW never said we get heavy cavalry,

Rumour from where? This was in WD, and I'm pretty sure it specified a
heavy cav unit - I'll have to google it, since IIRC I copied that bit
pretty much word for word in my WD review at the time.

> just
>something *like* heavy cavallry in effect -now we treekin.

Which are nothing like heavy cav in effect... Save unlikely to be
better than 4+, monster bases, no +2 on the charge (probably), M6 at
most, multiple wounds. Treekin are Kroxigor/Troll/Rat Ogre equivalents
- GW certainly wouldn't have described *them* as 'like' heavy cav. So
either way there may be one new WE unit we have yet to encounter.

>> However, I was thinking more of an eagle-rider - his two-handed weapon
>> pose is very similar to one I was planning for my eagle-riding Lord
>> some time ago (I really hope the new Eagles are good - my High Elves
>> could benefit as well if they are).

>The best eagle released so far is the one on the back of the 4rth ed.
>bestiary.

Was that the HE eagle rider or the WE eagle rider conversion?

> After that we got some giant war-chickens

It's a real shame about those eagles - one of them actually works (the
one with wings spread and claws outstretched), but despite excellent
details the others are abominably-proportioned and none of then looks
right on a flying base.

> and the lotr eagle
>-which is nice but far too expensive in a boxed set with just another
>two wizards.

IMO it's as bad as the WE eagles.

>> The WE are also getting a new
>> monster mount, the one described as an 'elk' - who knows if that will
>> be worth using or not?
>

>An elk?

So I've heard. Hopefully it will have a more WElfy name, such as Hart
(white harts being a feature of European forest folklore).

> This would have been a nice unit, mounts with lance attacks are
>fine -even with movement 7 or 8. But as a mount for a hero? This makes
>me think of uniconrs with movement 7 an additional point of toughness,
>no magic resistance and still a large target -> slow, large and no use
>at all. But let us wait and see.

I'm hoping it will be more along the lines of a Daemonic Steed. It
seems highly unlikely they'd make it a cavalry mount - WE already have
two different types of those, and I can't see them making plastic elk
as well as plastic horses and (hopefully) Warhawks.

>> >These are strange. Wonder what they are -one more reason to buy the
>> >army book.
>> At a guess they are sprites, but why they look related to greenskins
>> we'll have to read the book to find out (I still think the army should
>> have sprite swarms). At least the gnoblat-like ones are better than the
>> vaguely lizardy-ones the Treeman's covered in.
>

>Perhaps we get some more stories about fairy folk in loren, these small
>fellows might be Orions and Ariells eyes as well as less than helpful
>spirits.

I think there's been something alluding to that, maybe in the Ariel
concept art shown in WD a little while ago.

>I'd like some more Puck than Oberon -oh sorry Orion fairíes

GW's said it wants the WE to fit between the good HE and evil DE in the
'Elf spectrum' - not because they're neither good nor evil, but because
they're both. My first thought on reading that was that GW's
consciously trying to make them more faerie-like, which IMO is good
(just a shame their 'daemonic' Treeman model isn't - I really hope
Durthu's better).

>> >The miniature is nice, but iirc almost same mini exists with a spear
>> >instead
>> >of the sword -that one is still better.
>
>> That's the one I'm thinking of, but are you sure they aren't the same
>> model? This great weapon looks like a thick-bladed spear, so it might
>> have been the same from a different angle. The WE are being very
>> well-served by hero models - so far I count three infantry heroes (this
>> weapon, bow, and one with a spear in a one-handed pose) and two
>> enchantresses on foot, and there will presumably be cavalry figures too
>> as well as the monster riders, special characters, Bladesinger and
>> Dryad character. I doubt they're getting a fourth Highborn/Glade
>> Guardian variant (though they might package him with the option for
>> either a great weapon or a staffsword, I suppose).
>

>The weapon seems to be a seperate part,

So's Etharion's, but he doesn't have any weapon options...

> so two weapon options seem
>reasonable -or easy to convert.

I googled up the old Dakka shot - the model you're thinking of is the
same, and armed with the same weapon. One of those shots is taken from
a better angle, though.

>And yes the woodelves get a complete
>new line o miniatures,

Even so, the HE had to wait three years or so to get their full hero
range, and the Lizardmen about two. Most other races are still waiting.
It's good to see the WE getting a good selection from the start.

> and not the badest released lately.

These have rather come out of nowhere - even ignoring the dismal ogres,
most of GW's releases (in both systems) have been rather lacklustre
lately, and suddenly they come out with one of their best ranges all in
one go - right up there with Empire and High Elves IMO. I just wish the
army deal were available on advance order already.

Philip Bowles

> >> Depends what you mean by 'new', I suppose - Eternal Guard are basically
> >> the new, heavily-upgraded version of the old Glade Guard spearmen.
> >OK, I thought it would be a new unit.
> It sort of is - it's just a replacement for a similar old unit that's
> been removed from the army list. :) From what we've seen so far only
> the Treekin are truly new, though there's still the chance that the
> heavy cav unit will be a separate entry rather than a GR upgrade.

A seperate army list entry, but I guess no seperate miniatures.

> >> They don't have
> >> two-handed weapons, but they do have staffswords, which also appear to
> >> be available to characters - the Bladesinger in GW's Wardancer sneak
> >> peak is armed with one.
> >So it probably is a magic weapon option for we-heros.
> I think it's a normal great weapon - the blurb accompanying this on the
> GW site specifies that WE Highborns can take great weapons now.
Which is a good thing.

> However, I imagine the design was chosen so that it can count as a
> Hunting Spear if the player wants it to (or even a normal if
> highly-elaborate spear). At least two of the new Wardancer models are
> armed with great weapons, though - make of that what you will.

Non uniquely armed units again? Other than city guard and those close
combat and ranged attack mixes the troll slayers were the last to loose
that option.
WHFB 7 will see chain mail wardancers again ;-) ...I'd prefer
beastmasters and perhaps a shapechanger character.

> >> In one of the first early 'spoilers' about the new WE, GW confirmed in
> >> White Dwarf that the Wood Elves would get some form of heavy cavalry -
> >> I haven't heard anything more about it, but at a guess they've given
> >> Glade Riders the option to take heavy armour (and presumably lose Fast
> >> Cavalry in the process) - the model looks more heavily-armoured than
> >> the current ones. It would be really stupid if the horse's leather
> >> armour counts as barding, though - a 3+ save is probably the best they
> >> get.
> >Another rumour says that GW never said we get heavy cavalry,
> Rumour from where? This was in WD, and I'm pretty sure it specified a
> heavy cav unit - I'll have to google it, since IIRC I copied that bit
> pretty much word for word in my WD review at the time.

It was a late interpretation of WD article and tree-kin. But well it is
only 2-3 more month then we will see.

> > just
> >something *like* heavy cavallry in effect -now we treekin.
> Which are nothing like heavy cav in effect... Save unlikely to be
> better than 4+, monster bases, no +2 on the charge (probably), M6 at
> most, multiple wounds. Treekin are Kroxigor/Troll/Rat Ogre equivalents
> - GW certainly wouldn't have described *them* as 'like' heavy cav. So
> either way there may be one new WE unit we have yet to encounter.
Heavy cavallry is m7 and one wound but with better armour save -they
are close enough in abilities for GW to get them mixed up.

> >> However, I was thinking more of an eagle-rider - his two-handed weapon
> >> pose is very similar to one I was planning for my eagle-riding Lord
> >> some time ago (I really hope the new Eagles are good - my High Elves
> >> could benefit as well if they are).
> >The best eagle released so far is the one on the back of the 4rth ed.
> >bestiary.
> Was that the HE eagle rider or the WE eagle rider conversion?
The high elf, the we conversion was the wardancer-like rider done by
Mike McVey? I think it is in WD 171.

> > After that we got some giant war-chickens
> It's a real shame about those eagles - one of them actually works (the
> one with wings spread and claws outstretched), but despite excellent
> details the others are abominably-proportioned and none of then looks
> right on a flying base.
As long as a *giant* war eagle has to be smaller than a griffon and
griffons have to be smaller than dragons and the dragon miniatures are
still designed to almost fit on a 40mm base there has to be a
proportion problem with the eagle.

> > and the lotr eagle
> >-which is nice but far too expensive in a boxed set with just another
> >two wizards.
> IMO it's as bad as the WE eagles.
At least it is a bit larger.

> >> The WE are also getting a new
> >> monster mount, the one described as an 'elk' - who knows if that will
> >> be worth using or not?
> >An elk?
> So I've heard. Hopefully it will have a more WElfy name, such as Hart
> (white harts being a feature of European forest folklore)
I'm more interested in the miniature and the rules than in the name GW
gives it. GW has aa tradition to keep and I have to ignore the terrible
names given to other units/characters so far.
> > This would have been a nice unit, mounts with lance attacks are
> >fine -even with movement 7 or 8. But as a mount for a hero? This makes
> >me think of uniconrs with movement 7 an additional point of toughness,
> >no magic resistance and still a large target -> slow, large and no use
> >at all. But let us wait and see.
> I'm hoping it will be more along the lines of a Daemonic Steed.
Which would not make a lot of a difference to what I wrote above.

> It
> seems highly unlikely they'd make it a cavalry mount
Agreed.

> - WE already have
> two different types of those, and I can't see them making plastic elk
> as well as plastic horses and (hopefully) Warhawks.
I would not really call warhawks cavallry.
The hawks look like metall to me, as far as I can tell from the
pictures you can still bend the wings upwards.

> >> At a guess they are sprites, but why they look related to greenskins
> >> we'll have to read the book to find out (I still think the army should
> >> have sprite swarms). At least the gnoblat-like ones are better than the
> >> vaguely lizardy-ones the Treeman's covered in.
> >Perhaps we get some more stories about fairy folk in loren, these small
> >fellows might be Orions and Ariells eyes as well as less than helpful
> >spirits.
> I think there's been something alluding to that, maybe in the Ariel
> concept art shown in WD a little while ago.
Fine.

> >I'd like some more Puck than Oberon -oh sorry Orion fairíes
> GW's said it wants the WE to fit between the good HE and evil DE in the
> 'Elf spectrum' - not because they're neither good nor evil, but because
> they're both. My first thought on reading that was that GW's
> consciously trying to make them more faerie-like, which IMO is good
> (just a shame their 'daemonic' Treeman model isn't - I really hope
> Durthu's better).
Any kind of story to wood elf motivation and line of thinking would be
fine, there is not that much information given so far.

> >> That's the one I'm thinking of, but are you sure they aren't the same
> >> model? This great weapon looks like a thick-bladed spear, so it might
> >> have been the same from a different angle. The WE are being very
> >> well-served by hero models - so far I count three infantry heroes (this
> >> weapon, bow, and one with a spear in a one-handed pose) and two
> >> enchantresses on foot, and there will presumably be cavalry figures too
> >> as well as the monster riders, special characters, Bladesinger and
> >> Dryad character. I doubt they're getting a fourth Highborn/Glade
> >> Guardian variant (though they might package him with the option for
> >> either a great weapon or a staffsword, I suppose).
> >The weapon seems to be a seperate part,
> So's Etharion's, but he doesn't have any weapon options...
Eltarion otoh has no rules to be used with anything but a great weapon
-by the way this is another elf miniature I like very much, if it was
just a bit less expensive it might join my wardancers.

> > so two weapon options seem
> >reasonable -or easy to convert.
> I googled up the old Dakka shot - the model you're thinking of is the
> same, and armed with the same weapon. One of those shots is taken from
> a better angle, though.
OK.

> >And yes the woodelves get a complete
> >new line o miniatures,
> Even so, the HE had to wait three years or so to get their full hero
> range, and the Lizardmen about two. Most other races are still waiting.
> It's good to see the WE getting a good selection from the start.
It is a good year for wfb, the new skink heros and some of teh high elf
miniatures are quite nice as well - otoh the new high elf mage on this
ball might make a very nice fountain...

> > and not the badest released lately.
> These have rather come out of nowhere - even ignoring the dismal ogres,
> most of GW's releases (in both systems) have been rather lacklustre
> lately, and suddenly they come out with one of their best ranges all in
> one go - right up there with Empire and High Elves IMO. I just wish the
> army deal were available on advance order already.
I just stopped buying miniatures and started selling of some of my 40k
stuff as well as a few wfb miniatures. I decided against buying more
new miniatures...well some woodelves will have a new home on my
shelves, but I'm not buying a complete army deal.
Christof

>> >OK, I thought it would be a new unit.
>> It sort of is - it's just a replacement for a similar old unit that's
>> been removed from the army list. :) From what we've seen so far only
>> the Treekin are truly new, though there's still the chance that the
>> heavy cav unit will be a separate entry rather than a GR upgrade.
>

>A seperate army list entry, but I guess no seperate miniatures.

Probably not. It's a bit of a con, but we're getting a whole new range
for 12 or so units so I'm happy enough with that.

>Non uniquely armed units again? Other than city guard and those close
>combat and ranged attack mixes the troll slayers were the last to loose
>that option.
>WHFB 7 will see chain mail wardancers again ;-) ...I'd prefer
>beastmasters and perhaps a shapechanger character.

There'll apparently be a Dryad character, but of course they don't
change shape any more.

> >Another rumour says that GW never said we get heavy cavalry,
>> Rumour from where? This was in WD, and I'm pretty sure it specified a
>> heavy cav unit - I'll have to google it, since IIRC I copied that bit
>> pretty much word for word in my WD review at the time.
>

>It was a late interpretation of WD article and tree-kin. But well it is
>only 2-3 more month then we will see.

If Dakka's to be believed the 'heavy cavalry' are Wild Riders - Glade
Riders without Fast Cav but with +1S on the charge (i.e. +2S with
spears - as other heavy cav. with lances) and a 4+ Ward save as their
basic save rather than 2+/3+ armour. Not sure I like all these Ward
saves in the army list - Dryads, Wardancers, Wild Riders, Treemen - for
a race of supposedly fragile Elves they seem to have more invulnerable
saves than anyone else. Since we know they can take heavy armour,
giving Wild Riders a heavy armour option (i.e. max 3+ save) seems as
though it would have been enough.

>> > just
>> >something *like* heavy cavallry in effect -now we treekin.
>> Which are nothing like heavy cav in effect... Save unlikely to be
>> better than 4+, monster bases, no +2 on the charge (probably), M6 at
>> most, multiple wounds. Treekin are Kroxigor/Troll/Rat Ogre equivalents
>> - GW certainly wouldn't have described *them* as 'like' heavy cav. So
>> either way there may be one new WE unit we have yet to encounter.
>

>Heavy cavallry is m7

Elven heavy cavalry (bar Cold One Knights) is M8/9.

>> > After that we got some giant war-chickens
>> It's a real shame about those eagles - one of them actually works (the
>> one with wings spread and claws outstretched), but despite excellent
>> details the others are abominably-proportioned and none of then looks
>> right on a flying base.
>

>As long as a *giant* war eagle has to be smaller than a griffon and
>griffons have to be smaller than dragons and the dragon miniatures are
>still designed to almost fit on a 40mm base there has to be a
>proportion problem with the eagle.

I'm thinking of its proportions in relation to the model itself, not
its size compared with others - the old eagles' wings are too long and
narrow.

>> - WE already have
>> two different types of those, and I can't see them making plastic elk
>> as well as plastic horses and (hopefully) Warhawks.
>

>I would not really call warhawks cavallry.
>The hawks look like metall to me,

They do, and the poses seem unfortunately similar to the originals - I
can't see them well enough to tell how well the proportion problems
have been fixed. Better than the last generation, but hardly a high
point of the range.

> >> That's the one I'm thinking of, but are you sure they aren't the same
> >> model? This great weapon looks like a thick-bladed spear, so it might
> >> have been the same from a different angle. The WE are being very
> >> well-served by hero models - so far I count three infantry heroes (this
> >> weapon, bow, and one with a spear in a one-handed pose) and two
> >> enchantresses on foot, and there will presumably be cavalry figures too
> >> as well as the monster riders, special characters, Bladesinger and
> >> Dryad character. I doubt they're getting a fourth Highborn/Glade
> >> Guardian variant (though they might package him with the option for
> >> either a great weapon or a staffsword, I suppose).
> >The weapon seems to be a seperate part,
> So's Etharion's, but he doesn't have any weapon options...
>

>Eltarion otoh has no rules to be used with anything but a great weapon
>-by the way this is another elf miniature I like very much, if it was
>just a bit less expensive it might join my wardancers.

Eltharion's one of the few models on my 'must-have' list I actually
possess, and that mostly because when he came out there were rumours
floating around that he and Shadowblade might be limited edition.

>> >And yes the woodelves get a complete
>> >new line o miniatures,
>> Even so, the HE had to wait three years or so to get their full hero
>> range, and the Lizardmen about two. Most other races are still waiting.
>> It's good to see the WE getting a good selection from the start.
>

>It is a good year for wfb,

Better than I'd expected from one that began with Ogre Kingdoms,
certainly. I wasn't even expecting the WElves to be out this year at
that stage.

>> > and not the badest released lately.
>> These have rather come out of nowhere - even ignoring the dismal ogres,
>> most of GW's releases (in both systems) have been rather lacklustre
>> lately, and suddenly they come out with one of their best ranges all in
>> one go - right up there with Empire and High Elves IMO. I just wish the
>> army deal were available on advance order already.
>

>I just stopped buying miniatures and started selling of some of my 40k
>stuff as well as a few wfb miniatures. I decided against buying more
>new miniatures...well some woodelves will have a new home on my
>shelves, but I'm not buying a complete army deal.

I'll pick it up - I like the standard bearer more the more I see it,
I'll get hold of the rules and figures earlier than I otherwise might
and the contents not only look like a playable 1,000pt army
(thereabouts), but they include some of my must-have list for the range
(the Glade Guard and Wardancers), as well as the more-than-acceptable
Dryads (I'm still surprised they're plastic - guess we'll be getting a
Wood Elf Battalion after all) and Highborn.

Philip Bowles

pbowles@aol.com schrieb:
> >> It sort of is - it's just a replacement for a similar old unit that's
> >> been removed from the army list. :) From what we've seen so far only
> >> the Treekin are truly new, though there's still the chance that the
> >> heavy cav unit will be a separate entry rather than a GR upgrade.
> >A seperate army list entry, but I guess no seperate miniatures.
>
> Probably not. It's a bit of a con, but we're getting a whole new range
> for 12 or so units so I'm happy enough with that.
The problem (or favour fromm another point of view) is that the new
wood elf miniature do not fit in very well with all the other warhammer
miniatures -I felt this when having a look at the ogre kingdoms as
well... With this new design it is not really a good idea to mix
ranges, otherwise I might have taken Silverhelms as a conversion basis
for heavy cavallry. Now I will stay with my bears and paint some wild
cats, dags and hogs for fast cavallry.

> >Non uniquely armed units again? Other than city guard and those close
> >combat and ranged attack mixes the troll slayers were the last to loose
> >that option.
> >WHFB 7 will see chain mail wardancers again ;-) ...I'd prefer
> >beastmasters and perhaps a shapechanger character.
> There'll apparently be a Dryad character, but of course they don't
> change shape any more.
Those tree spirit aspects have been to much like the wardancers' dances
imo.
Some elf/cat or elf/wolf shape changers would have been nice.
The loss of the dryads is something which will change a lot of wood elf
armies. The ability to be hit on a six only was quite nice against
cavallry.

> > >Another rumour says that GW never said we get heavy cavalry,
> >> Rumour from where? This was in WD, and I'm pretty sure it specified a
> >> heavy cav unit - I'll have to google it, since IIRC I copied that bit
> >> pretty much word for word in my WD review at the time.
> >It was a late interpretation of WD article and tree-kin. But well it is
> >only 2-3 more month then we will see.
> If Dakka's to be believed the 'heavy cavalry' are Wild Riders - Glade
> Riders without Fast Cav but with +1S on the charge (i.e. +2S with
> spears - as other heavy cav. with lances) and a 4+ Ward save as their
> basic save rather than 2+/3+ armour.
I had a glance at some 'preview' rules, with all the details...magic
weappons and all -I did not have the time to really read them but it
did not seem to bad.

> Not sure I like all these Ward
> saves in the army list - Dryads, Wardancers, Wild Riders, Treemen - for
> a race of supposedly fragile Elves they seem to have more invulnerable
> saves than anyone else.
The wardancers gaining a 5+ ward save is ok, 6+ is just worth close to
nothing.
Treemen and dryads could do with a good armour save and probably a
'never less than 6+' save, like orc war paints (war paint is one of the
magic items I miss).
> Since we know they can take heavy armour,
> giving Wild Riders a heavy armour option (i.e. max 3+ save) seems as
> though it would have been enough.
The wild riders as an elite cavalry unit of fey or woodelf heros might
be ok with ward saves.
And remember these ward saves are all cancelled by magic.

> >> Which are nothing like heavy cav in effect... Save unlikely to be
> >> better than 4+, monster bases, no +2 on the charge (probably), M6 at
> >> most, multiple wounds. Treekin are Kroxigor/Troll/Rat Ogre equivalents
> >> - GW certainly wouldn't have described *them* as 'like' heavy cav. So
> >> either way there may be one new WE unit we have yet to encounter.
> >Heavy cavallry is m7
> Elven heavy cavalry (bar Cold One Knights) is M8/9.
You are right, it is stupid to think of the treekin as cavallry
substitutes.

I'm wondering if the move throuh wood with no penalty rules will stay
with heavily armored units (cavallry and infantry alike), this would be
a nice drawback in this list.

> >As long as a *giant* war eagle has to be smaller than a griffon and
> >griffons have to be smaller than dragons and the dragon miniatures are
> >still designed to almost fit on a 40mm base there has to be a
> >proportion problem with the eagle.
> I'm thinking of its proportions in relation to the model itself, not
> its size compared with others - the old eagles' wings are too long and
> narrow.
If the size compared with other miniatures must be rather small it is
not very easy to make it look like a *giant* eagle, so the designer
starts to make only parts of the miniatures large, most of the time the
fangs and claws. This is why the relative size matters.

> >> - WE already have
> >> two different types of those, and I can't see them making plastic elk
> >> as well as plastic horses and (hopefully) Warhawks.
> >I would not really call warhawks cavallry.
> >The hawks look like metall to me,
> They do, and the poses seem unfortunately similar to the originals - I
> can't see them well enough to tell how well the proportion problems
> have been fixed. Better than the last generation, but hardly a high
> point of the range.
Agreed. They look much like the old hawks, one part of the range that
will mix well with the old miniatures.

> > >The weapon seems to be a seperate part,
> > So's Etharion's, but he doesn't have any weapon options...
> >Eltarion otoh has no rules to be used with anything but a great weapon
> >-by the way this is another elf miniature I like very much, if it was
> >just a bit less expensive it might join my wardancers.
>
> Eltharion's one of the few models on my 'must-have' list I actually
> possess, and that mostly because when he came out there were rumours
> floating around that he and Shadowblade might be limited edition.
I just decided not to fall for the limited edition or character
miniature pricing trick anymore. It is a nice miniature, but if I want
a miniature with good detail an dynamic pose I'd buy an reaper
miniature for half the money.

> >> These have rather come out of nowhere - even ignoring the dismal ogres,
> >> most of GW's releases (in both systems) have been rather lacklustre
> >> lately, and suddenly they come out with one of their best ranges all in
> >> one go - right up there with Empire and High Elves IMO. I just wish the
> >> army deal were available on advance order already.
> >I just stopped buying miniatures and started selling of some of my 40k
> >stuff as well as a few wfb miniatures. I decided against buying more
> >new miniatures...well some woodelves will have a new home on my
> >shelves, but I'm not buying a complete army deal.
> I'll pick it up - I like the standard bearer more the more I see it,
> I'll get hold of the rules and figures earlier than I otherwise might
> and the contents not only look like a playable 1,000pt army
> (thereabouts), but they include some of my must-have list for the range
> (the Glade Guard and Wardancers), as well as the more-than-acceptable
> Dryads (I'm still surprised they're plastic - guess we'll be getting a
> Wood Elf Battalion after all) and Highborn.
I'll buy some single miniatures as soon as my basic 2000p wood elf list
is painted. Perhaps I get a character or two and a unit of treekin as I
expect that they will be quite strong -they are new, they are not in
the army deal so I figured they will have the rules to make them sell
well.
Christof