Sign in with
Your question

Monitor or computer problem?

Last response: in Other Consumer Electronics
March 12, 2011 9:08:35 PM

Hi. My friend has a very old computer (barely running Win98 on a 20Gb harddrive). So after I've upgraded mine, all those old parts we decided to replace the friend's computer parts. Then we reassembled it (actually just cdrom left) and turned power on. Then after having conversation for about 5 minutes, we plugged the monitor jack into video output of a videocard.
1.All we saw was eMachine's logo (which should have dissapeared by that time) that used to appear at system start. (There should have been error message on black screen stating that no OS could be loaded.) We turned computer off.
2.Then turned it on and since then, monitor remains black and does not glow as it should when there is no connection or computer itself is off.

Does this mean that monitor burned out (it is extremely old indeed)? (I've heard that it's undesirable to plug in monitor when computer was on already).
And what could be the reason for the behaviour as described in 1? Any suggestions are welcome.

P.S.Tomorrow I'm bringing that computer over to my place to check against my monitor
March 13, 2011 6:40:19 AM

maybe the video card isnt plugged in all the way.
maybe the graphics card went out.
maybe the display went out.
maybe the bios needs to be reset.
a c 106 C Monitor
April 13, 2011 7:56:59 PM

Since you put all those parts together, and you are asking for help here without trouble-shooting, I'm going to lean towards you messing up some connections or putting non-compatible parts together. Try the monitor on another computer, if it works, the issue is not there.
!