Adding 'My Documents' to the Taskbar

Win XP home, fully patched.

I want to add a quick link to 'My Documents' on the taskbar. so that when I
click on it the list of items pops up.

The most important thing is that I want any folders to have the 'callouts'
you get in 'All Programs' on the Start menu so I can open a file in a
sub-sub-sub-sub folder just by clicking once on the shortcut icon, hovering
the mouse to get through the folders, then clicking a second time on the
file to open it.

Right clicking on the taskbar & choosing toolbars, new toolbar does that.

The problem is that if I've only got a couple of programs running the first
couple of folders in 'my documents' appear in the taskbar too - and I keep
on accidentally moving them onto the desktop.

Is there any way of freezing the 'my documents' on the taskbar so it only
expands upwards when I click on it, and not sidewards if it has the space ?

Thanks :)

cranberry girl wrote:
> Win XP home, fully patched.
>
> I want to add a quick link to 'My Documents' on the taskbar. so that when I
> click on it the list of items pops up.
>
> The most important thing is that I want any folders to have the 'callouts'
> you get in 'All Programs' on the Start menu so I can open a file in a
> sub-sub-sub-sub folder just by clicking once on the shortcut icon, hovering
> the mouse to get through the folders, then clicking a second time on the
> file to open it.
>
> Right clicking on the taskbar & choosing toolbars, new toolbar does that.
>
> The problem is that if I've only got a couple of programs running the first
> couple of folders in 'my documents' appear in the taskbar too - and I keep
> on accidentally moving them onto the desktop.
>
> Is there any way of freezing the 'my documents' on the taskbar so it only
> expands upwards when I click on it, and not sidewards if it has the space ?

Create the My Documents toolbar (sounds like you've already done that).
Right click on the taskbar and make sure that Lock the Taskbar is
*not* checked. With the taskbar unlocked, drag the My Documents toolbar
all the way to the right so that the only thing displayed is the title
of the toolbar. Once you have it in place like you want it, right click
on the taskbar again and select Lock the Taskbar to put a check by it,
keeping everything where you put them.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

Thanks - I'd forgotten about 'lock the taskbar'

:)