first sata HD problems

calvinweav

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2005
looking for some help on installing and using my first sata HD.

i just built my first computer from the ground up: amd 3500, biostar sli mobo, 1gb dual channel ram, geforce 6800, old 30gb ide HD and a new 200gb sata HD. the intent of the sata is to store all my valuables. so, without plugging in the sata, i installed a fresh brand new copy of windows xp mce on the 30gb without a hitch. installed all the appropriate drivers that came with the motherboard, then plugged in the sata HD. upon reboot, i can see the sata drive was detected as a maxtor blah blah on something like IDE master channel 2. good enough. windows boots up and notices there's an added drive, a maxtor blah blah blah, and gives the little option in the taskbar where i can hit stop and remove the drive safely, of which i do not wish to do. i open windows explorer in hopes of seeing my sata drive and being able to transfer a whole bunch of junk on it from another old ide HD. no luck. all i see are my floppy drive, main C:\ drive, and the cd-rom drive. i thought maybe i didnt install the sata drivers (but why or how could windows still see it?) so i searched the drivers cd provided with the mobo and found a sata folder with some drivers and a setup program. i can't complete the setup up program cuz it tells me i don't have the required hardware to run it (and yet it doesn't tell me what that required hardware is).

seems like a lot, but i can't find ANY help ANYWHERE on just adding a sata drive to an existing windows install. i've seen half a million how to's on installing windows on a sata, but i don't want to do that. i already have windows on a drive and simply want to add the sata as an extra storage drive.

puh-leaze help.

G

Easy 2 steps
right lcik my computer, manage
disk management...

You will have a grey bar(I think )
right click on it, you can format it and assign a drive letter!

BTW since its just for storage you can make it a Dynamique VOlume

have phun!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

calvinweav

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2005
thanks for the quick reply.

i actually stumbled across some stuff on the seagate website that basically said the same thing in quite a few more steps.

i'll give it a shot tonight when i get home.

thanks again!

G

Mine is better, they dont know what they're talking about! Who made that drive eh!?

Kidding aside as long as it works! And that right click on my computer, manage is full a very usefull tools!

Good luck!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

jim552

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
labbbby,

I stillhave my doubts about "Dynamic Volumes".

What would that buy this guy?
The only things I see as a benefit are the ability to do do software RAID, which I'm against, and the ability to extend the size of a volume, which to me seems to be asking for trouble.

There isn't any speed benefit ot it is there?

Do you use "Dynamic Volumes" on all of your non-boot volumes?

G

Frankly, there's no real benefit. I dont use the spanned/stripped feature of win2k.

Yes I do use dynamic volumes on all my non-boot disk. One of the advantages of dynamic volumes is when you make many partition, you can only have 3 partition that are non-dynamic(or actually 4 non-dynamic and 0 dynamic)

But yes, it's not really usefull, I stated that so when he sees a bunch of options, he kows he can choose this one!