Dynamo

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2003
Hi all,

My rig is a Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9, with a SATA Barracuda 7200.7 NCQ 160GB S150 HDD. Running XP Pro.

The problem I have, well more like an irritation is that the drive (the only one, set up as 2 partitions) is listed as a drive I can remove.

In My Computer the partitions are listed normally as local drives. However in the taskbar (near the time) is the Safely Remove Hardware Icon. Clicking this lists my HDD as removable Hardware - however clicking it does nothing as the HDD is in use.

Why is my local HDD listed as removable hardware? Anyone know how to tell the OS that the disk is there to stay?

Thanks for any help.

Sata drivers are hot-swappable. Meaning then can be added / taken away from the OS on the fly. Your system drive cannot for obvious reasons though.

Everything is functioning correctly.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's an SATA2 specification, my SATA1 hardware doesn't support the feature (or at least, the latest drivers for my SATA1 hardware don't).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Mine does - Sounds like a driver problem.

G

7200.9 are SATA-II and even this drive does'nt appear to support Hot-wap!
I doubt the 7200.7 support hot-swap... it actually should'nt!

I already had a drive recognized as removable medi, but that was back with win98, I think I solved it with a clean install!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
My SATA1 drives are hot-swappable on SATA2 controllers, but not SATA1 controllers.

I do have SATA2-150 controllers as well: nVidia chipsets designed to support SATA2 with 300 transfers are artificially limitted to 150 in the lower-priced versions of the same chipset.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

G

oh, that is intersting. I was wondering to what extend Hot-Swap is linked to the drive itself.
I guess that answers the question!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You could set old 40-pin ATA drives as hot-swappable in Win98, but since BIOS couldn't detect drive changes, you had to swap in an identicle drive. I used that feature with a cheap drive rack to quick-format identical drives on my own PC for my refurbed PC's.