Yet another power issue!

uncleben86

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
I've been reading the forum rather extensively so I had to register to see if my problem is similar to everyone's.

First the battery would only stay charged 15-20 min. tops
Second, I had to have the power cord plugged into the computer at just
the right position or it would not charge.
Third, that last problem evolved to the point that I couldn't keep the
computer plugged in long enough to start it
Fourth, I had my roommate, who is basically a professional with electronics, re-solder the power jack, I reassembled the laptop and now when I plug it in the charge light comes on, but only until I can count to seven

I had a new battery ordered, but I dont know if I'm going to buy it if it wont solve my problem. Also, should my R3000 run without a battery when it is plugged in? If so, which it does not, this might point me toward finding a different problem.

Thanks for the help!!

Que

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2005
It should run without battery. Check the most left and most right copper contacts of the docking port with a voltage meter, with the adapter attached. You should read the same voltage there as the adapter gives. Wiggle the jack to see if the voltage fluctuates, indicating a bad solder. Have you secured the screw on the cpu socket, in case of an intel cpu? Reseated the memory, try per stick if you have 2 installed. No video on the vga out also?

uncleben86

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
I will try to test the power jack, I do know that the led on the front came on when the battery was in, but as I stated it would only stay lit up until I counted to seven. I tried without the battery in and got nothing. I will also try to reseat everything.
The screen on mine does not work which is another issue. I used to be able to tap the little button that senses when the top is open and closed and eventually the screen would stay on, but that evlolved to not even flickering. I guess I wasn't too worried about this since I can hook up another monitor and do the the fcn F2 or whatever to use a different monitor. Also if I can't get the power to work their is no point in worrying about the display. I did look at the button and there are 4 solder joints. Do you know if it's possible to connect any combination of these to have the screen turn on and stay on whenever the computer is turned on? That would be great since I can just shut down the computer when I'm not using it.
I'm not sure what screw you are talking about on the CPU socket, but I will check to make sure it is attached securly.

Thanks for the help, it seems like you are the go to guy on this forum!

Que

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2005
I will try to test the power jack, I do know that the led on the front came on when the battery was in, but as I stated it would only stay lit up until I counted to seven. I tried without the battery in and got nothing.
Sounds like the jack's positive pin still is loose from the board, I was told an intel board needs the positive lead soldered on both sides of the board. Checking the docking port for a voltage seems the fastest way to test.
The screen on mine does not work which is another issue. I used to be able to tap the little button that senses when the top is open and closed and eventually the screen would stay on, but that evlolved to not even flickering. I guess I wasn't too worried about this since I can hook up another monitor and do the the fcn F2 or whatever to use a different monitor. Also if I can't get the power to work their is no point in worrying about the display. I did look at the button and there are 4 solder joints. Do you know if it's possible to connect any combination of these to have the screen turn on and stay on whenever the computer is turned on?
I guess it is, but I don't have a clue which to short, trial and error?

I'm not sure what screw you are talking about on the CPU socket, but I will check to make sure it is attached securely.
In case of having an Intel cpu, i has to be secured by turning a screw on the cpu-socket once the cpu is in. AMD cpu's are secured with a lever on the side of the socket.
Thanks for the help, it seems like you are the go to guy on this forum!
The only one that still hangs around here I'm afraid, most have moved on with their lifes