[40k] [Model] Rare earth magnets dreadnought

Last response: in Video Games
June 3, 2005 9:29:29 PM

Have just successfully completed the fabled "rare earth magnets swappable
dreadnought arms" trick so thought I would post a few pictures and my UK
supplier.

After a bit of browsing without much luck, I was considering using magnetic
paper cut to size when I stumbled upon this rather nifty website;

http://www.magnetic-paper.com/shop.asp?ID=11

I went for the 12mm diameter, 0.5mm thick extra thin discs, as this seemed
to be just about bang on the diameter of the arm supports on my dreadnought
(a Forge World MK IV Venerable). At £6 for 35 discs and free shipping I
could potentially afford to kit out an entire army of dreadnoughts with
these. I was hoping to drill through the centre of the magnets to be able to
retain the original arm pins, but when my magnets turned up a week later,
this seemed to be unlikely to work, with the first magnet I tried breaking
in half. However, I was very impressed with the power of these magnets, so
decided to snip the pins off and just superglue my magnets on.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.wilks/dread1.jpg
Ingredients; 1 dreadnought, 2 arms, a stack of magnets, knife, marker pen,
file.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.wilks/dread2.jpg
After snipping off the pins I filed down the remnants and smoothed out the
surface (being a resin model it's not completely flat) before using my
marker pen to mark on guidelines to ensure the arms would sit in their
intended position without the pins there to guide them.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.wilks/dread3.jpg
Marking the arms so I can correctly position the magnets directly over the
pin holes.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.wilks/dread4.jpg
Grab a couple of magnets and check I have the polarity right before gluing.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.wilks/dread5.jpg
Magnets glued on body. The fit is perfect.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.wilks/dread6.jpg
Magnets glued onto arms using my guide marks to get them dead centre.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.wilks/dread7.jpg
Et voila. The arms are held in position perfectly with only 1mm of extra
clearance from the body.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.wilks/dread8.jpg
As you can see here, these powerful little magnets snap the arms exactly in
place but still allow for free rotation!

Now to order me some more arms...

--
Empty Motorcycle
Anonymous

In article <Zr0oe.2427$8m5.1571@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net>, Empty Motorcycle,
sum1@sumwhere.com Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> Have just successfully completed the fabled "rare earth magnets swappable
> dreadnought arms" trick so thought I would post a few pictures and my UK
> supplier.
>
> After a bit of browsing without much luck, I was considering using magnetic
> paper cut to size when I stumbled upon this rather nifty website;
>
> http://www.magnetic-paper.com/shop.asp?ID=11
>
> I went for the 12mm diameter, 0.5mm thick extra thin discs, as this seemed
> to be just about bang on the diameter of the arm supports on my dreadnought
> (a Forge World MK IV Venerable). At £6 for 35 discs and free shipping I
> could potentially afford to kit out an entire army of dreadnoughts with
> these. I was hoping to drill through the centre of the magnets to be able to
> retain the original arm pins, but when my magnets turned up a week later,
> this seemed to be unlikely to work, with the first magnet I tried breaking
> in half. However, I was very impressed with the power of these magnets, so
> decided to snip the pins off and just superglue my magnets on.
>
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.wilks/dread1.jpg
> Ingredients; 1 dreadnought, 2 arms, a stack of magnets, knife, marker pen,
> file.
>
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.wilks/dread2.jpg
> After snipping off the pins I filed down the remnants and smoothed out the
> surface (being a resin model it's not completely flat) before using my
> marker pen to mark on guidelines to ensure the arms would sit in their
> intended position without the pins there to guide them.
>
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.wilks/dread3.jpg
> Marking the arms so I can correctly position the magnets directly over the
> pin holes.
>
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.wilks/dread4.jpg
> Grab a couple of magnets and check I have the polarity right before gluing.
>
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.wilks/dread5.jpg
> Magnets glued on body. The fit is perfect.
>
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.wilks/dread6.jpg
> Magnets glued onto arms using my guide marks to get them dead centre.
>
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.wilks/dread7.jpg
> Et voila. The arms are held in position perfectly with only 1mm of extra
> clearance from the body.
>
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.wilks/dread8.jpg
> As you can see here, these powerful little magnets snap the arms exactly in
> place but still allow for free rotation!
>
> Now to order me some more arms...

Excellent! Glad to see the idea is catching on. I blame RTM &
Blank_Dave for this! They'd be so proud. ;)  I've got an article for
RGMW.org on converting a dread with magnets in process. It's nearly
identical to what you've done - the only major differences are that I
used small a pair of stacked small magents that were the prefect size
and diameter (3mm?) to fit in the existing holes on the dread arms.
Between the small magnets in the arms, and the larger ones in the
shoulders (like yours.) There's more than enough force to hold the arms
on in pretty much any normal position rather than them drooping down
from their own weight. And the other difference is that I put in a pair
of magnets at the hip joint so that the dread can turn at the waist.

The only real pisser is that the new Marine codex doesn't have
jack-squat for Dread armament options. No plasma cannons, no twin
linked Hvy. Bolters, no A.C., etc... Makes me *OH so glad* that my
wife got me those FW arms. Ah well, time to learn how to write an
'Allied Dread' file for Armybuilder.

Nice job. I'd love to see some shots of it painted up.

Myrmidon

--
"Conan, what is best in life?"
"To paint your miniatures, to see them driven before you on the table,

- Del Webb

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

June 3, 2005 10:49:06 PM

"Empty Motorcycle" <sum1@sumwhere.com> wrote in message
> Have just successfully completed the fabled "rare earth magnets swappable
> dreadnought arms" trick so thought I would post a few pictures and my UK
> supplier.
>
> After a bit of browsing without much luck, I was considering using
> magnetic paper cut to size when I stumbled upon this rather nifty website;
>
> http://www.magnetic-paper.com/shop.asp?ID=11

Damn, that's handy. If I need some larger magnets I'll definitely consider
them. However, I've been using tiny (3mm dia x 1mm thick) for some of my
figs (still working on them, pics to come later), from Rapid Electronics

http://www.rapidelectronics.co.uk/rkmain.asp?PAGEID=800...

They're a bit easier to use than the 3mm dia x 4mm thick rods from the site
you used (I've got some the same size from Tooled-up.com), especially when
I'm using magnets to make weapons on my flyers removable - a 1mm depth hole
in the wing so the magnet sits flush is hardly noticeable, but a 4mm deep
one risks going straight through :(

I'm also looking to use some of these tiny ones on dreadnoughts - just trim
the weapon mount pin slightly, stick magnet on the end, and place a matching
one (or a small metal disc if I can find any) inside the hole on the weapon
arm.

Dan
!