Windows XP Won't load

Hello,
I'm using an older Windows XP computer. Lately when I start the computer it goes through the entire start up process all the way so that I can look at my wallpaper, but there aren't any icons, and no way to shut it down properly. When this happens I unplug everything and start all over again. Sometimes I only have to go through this process once, other times I go through it a few times before it boots properly.

I've never encountered anything quite like this before. Does anyone know if this is caused by a failing harddrive, a virus, or just a quirk?
4 answers Last reply
More about windows load
  1. When you get to the desktop/wallpaper, press ctrl+alt+delete, and open the task manager. Go to file-->new task-->type explorer.exe-->press enter. That should restore your desktop.
  2. dammit i was gonna say that!
  3. You were about 9 days too late. :)
  4. naggingdilemma said:
    Hello,
    I'm using an older Windows XP computer. Lately when I start the computer it goes through the entire start up process all the way so that I can look at my wallpaper, but there aren't any icons, and no way to shut it down properly. When this happens I unplug everything and start all over again. Sometimes I only have to go through this process once, other times I go through it a few times before it boots properly.

I've never encountered anything quite like this before. Does anyone know if this is caused by a failing harddrive, a virus, or just a quirk?

naggingdilemma my friend if this happens again use this file to restore your desktop. It is a registry file and after you install it you should not have that problem anymore.

To get the file go to this website http://kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/nodesktop.reg.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hewlett Packard Computer Windows XP Computers