200GB --> 130GB ?!?! WTF

TAZ

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
story dudes...

right, here's the beef.

bought another HD for my system - el cheapo samsung 200GB 7200RPM 8MB SATA

problem - it only shows as a 128GB in the disk manager, where the hell did the other 70GB go??

i'm pretty sure the drive is fine as i bought one, installed it - got this problem and assumed a bad HD, went back, got it switched for another identical drive and hey presto, same bloody problem again.

system is an Infinity 865PE, 2* 160GB in raid1, 80GB system drive and now a 200GB (130GB) as well.

the raid set are on the raid sata conns, system drive is on sata port 1 and new drive is on sata port 2.

any ideas??

G

<A HREF="http://www.48bitlba.com/" target="_new">Explanation!</A>

Use win xp SP2 to format the drive, not the WinXP install thingy...

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
I'm pretty sure that installing the service pack won't do it itself: you still have to manually put in the registry entry. Could be mistaken though

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Go to seagate.com download their drive utility (the windows exe one) use it to partition/format the drive and enjoy the life without bothering honorabel peepel here with stupid questions which were answered 2.5 years ago when first 160 GB drive came out.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

TAZ

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
ta muchly gentlemen.

apologies for any irritation.

as for the "why not install service packs" thing - this system is a completely autonomous unit - it doesn't communicate with any other machine via LAN or net, no software is ever added or deleted, it is used *specifically* for DVD manufacture, therefore, as long as the OS runs stable (and it does) i really don't have any interest in modifying it in any way without good reason. what has been presented here, is a good reason.

as a matter of interest - i don't suppose any of you "honorabel peepel" have any idea why this problem didn't crop up when i installed my raid drives? 2* 160GB Sata... (same machine, same OS, no changes since)

TAZ

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
hmmm.. so are there other benefits to service packs that i should be considering?

i've always just seen them as updates to security protocols and background processes that i don't use, so i've never bothered with 'em.

obviously for something like this, it's worth my while putting one on but i've become rather sceptical (unfounded or otherwise) wrt to making any component changes to my OS as long as it works. possibly due to hearing too many instances of MS fixing one bug and breeding 6 new ones - again, probably me just being a bit nieve but non-the-less, if it ain't broke...

and apart from this HD thing the system runs flawlessly. i've had it rendering for 8hours solid many times and have complete faith in it. as it stands, i am quite happy to set a project rendering and head off (playing sports, out for the night, whatever) for the estimated time i reckon it will take, quite confident in the knowledge that when i return, the job will be done - no exceptions.

it's fantastic to have that piece of mind and something i am very much afraid to take for granted on a windows system. maybe i will be more willing to get experimental once i get a second DVD rig built so that it doesn't matter if one of them goes down, but at the moment i just can't afford the downtime i'd be risking by screwing about with the OS.

all opinions apprectiated,

the scared little boy...

:p

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm pretty sure you did not use Windows (as IN Windows) to setup an array with thouse 160G drives, did you, if you did then appologies are mine, if you did not, then.. there is your answer ;)

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

TAZ

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
yup, i setup the array when i installed XP-pro. hence my confusion.

apology accepted :D

G

That is weird, but since its a different controller, different thing can happen!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

TAZ

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
that's a somewhat interesting alternative actually.

yeah, i had initially wanted a single 200GB drive for storage of the exported premier files (i keep the original and edited files on the array for security) - these projects are regularly well over 30GB and i may have a couple at one time so the single big partition was my first instinct, but now that you mention it, that might just work every bit as well.

thing is, that i think i still need to get this 48-bit referencing thing going first before the system will even look for the extra space. i'll try that samsung drive utility that blah mentioned and that x-setup pack you proposed wusy. if neither of them can sort it then i'll back up and install SP1 (or maybe SP2 is a safer choice... anyone??).