939 board..1gb high quality ram vs. 2gb value ram

Jerums

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2001
going to be upgrading since I'm currently running a 1.4TB and a geforce3 :p

Really the only thing I can't decide on is whether to do 512x2 of very good ram, or 1gbx2 of decent ram.

The rest of the system will be a venice 64 chip and probably an x800xl or pro for video.

thanks.

G

QWhats the use?
what games you play?
Currently, Video editing/encoding, Photoshoping many hbig files/ CAD stuff/ gaming: Wow, Bf2 will benefit from more than 1 gig.

All the rest wont see any increase and soemtime small performance hit. This will show even more with the speed difference.

Put your priority and we will advice you!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

Jerums

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2001
Well, I currently play WOW and might possible venture into some BF2. however, my decision isn't really just based upon these games. I'd rather plan for the future as well. Will more and more games be benefiting from 2gb of memory? I would just hate to buy 2x512 then wish later on I would have gotten 2x1gb. So, I guess is the general trend more towards 2gb?

butthead

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2005
I just did some research on this subject too. The Corsair Value Memory is cheap. I got 2GBs in 1GB sticks for 105 each. From what I've read, they work really well if you don't overclock. Well, one reveiw said they did get some decent over clocking with it actually, but it's not the ram to do that with. The Corsair also has a lifetime warranty. Since I run Photoshop and other programs of that sort, I went with the 2 GBs. As far as I can tell, you're not losing anything unless you like overclocking.

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
Lots of reports out there (including in these forums) that BF2 runs fairly better with 2GB over 1, which I can believe with the size maps that it has.

DeathClock

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2004
Friend of mine switched to 2gb too and it really made a difference with BF2.

<A HREF="http://www.1944game.com/" target="_new">D-Day 1944 Game/Mod</A>

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
I play World of Warcraft all the time and have been keeping a log of my peak memory usage.

My computer has peaked at 800MB during gameplay. I am also using page-filing set at minimum/maximum 1024MB/2048MB, I believe this affects the peak.

If I changed my page-filing.. I could easily reach beyond the 1GB limit and probably run the game faster.

But since I am using 2x512MB of memory, 800MB peak is good for me.

You can record your peak usage by pushing: CTRL + ALT + DEL, check under the Performance tab, you will see a parameter called 'peak'. This is the peak memory usage for your last windows boot.

Record the peak over a period of time for an acurate measure of how much system memory you use. You can also change the page-file settings and see how it affects your peak.

Basically, after you make changes to the page-file settings, any increase in memory usage that does not exceed your total memory size is equal to an increase in system performance. Though I have read that some applications like to have alot of virtual memory.. not sure about games tho.

<b>WUSY..</b> please comment !

<font color=blue>******
<font color=green>"My Memory is not working today"
<font color=blue>AIM SoCaliCrowley

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
I play WOW and 768megs/ram is good enough for the game (keep in mind I have my OS running clean [down to 120megs on boot] and I have no other programs running in the background)

If your computer has a bunch of bloat running in teh background... I could definately see how you would need 1gig. But not more. Like someoen else said.. by the time you need 2 gigs of ram, youll probably need faster stuff anyways.

-------
<b>It's a man's obligation to stick his boneration in a women's separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation.</b>

G

But Windows as this , lets call it a feature, that adjust the memory usage in function of the ammount you have. When you have more than 1 gig, it -gives more ram to every program and some like it!

I heard WoW is one of those games where people see a difference between 1 and 2 gig.

Bf2 is just badly coded IMO!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
I don't run any programs when I play WOW except AVG virus protection and I still hit 800MB with my current page-file settings.

If you install 2x1024MB you can run the game faster by optimizing your settings. WOW can take upwards of 1.5GB of memory resources.

Also keep in mind that WOW has many settings that only certain VGA cards take advantage of. Running the game at full settings, with optimized page-filing, you can hit 1.5GB of your computer's memory resources.

Also keep in mind some VGA cards take up more resources than others like the Radeon x800, for example.

If you are interested in these settings I can get them for you.

<font color=blue>******

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
WUSY..

from my post above..
Was wondering if we could hear from you regarding page-file optimization and how it related to games..

<font color=blue>******