Sign in with
Your question

Apple LaserWriter 16/600 PS on a Windows Vista machine

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
May 24, 2009 9:08:45 PM

I've been using an old Apple Laserwriter 16/600 PS laser printer for at least a decade with no problems. But I recently purchased a new Dell computer (Inspiron 530s) and I've discovered that I'm going to have to discard my old parallel cable and set up my printer on my network. I have an old Apple Ethernet Twisted-Pair Transceiver that I connected to my printer w/ and ethernet cable plugged directly into my router, but I've run into somewhat of a problem:

1.) The printer is currently set up with static network information stored on it (IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway Address)
2.) I do not have an old apple computer with Apple Printer Utility installed on it so I can change that network information

Is there any Windows based program out there that gives me the ability to do this ??? I downloaded a copy of Apple LaserWriter Software, but it appears to be either damaged or out-of-date. Any assistance provided would be greatly appreciated.

Terrence Green
Georgia Institute of Technology
Email: scott.green@dopp.gatech.edu
May 25, 2009 2:01:48 PM

It's the same issue for me this morning...

June 5, 2009 4:16:01 AM

You want the Apple LaserWriter Utility for Windows NT available for download at www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftware.html
Look for the zip file

This will permit you to configure the settings on the printer using a parallel printer cable. It will permit you to specify a static IP address. I believe that the toggle switch on the back of the printer (above the parallel port) will need to be in the down position for you to access it in this way.

What are the correct settings for subnet and mask if you choose a static IP address of 192.168.1.90 for example?

Perry
!