Computer now in a complete mess!

Long story: The taskbar suddenly started disappearing and I followed a few
links to a 3P utility that got it back, but all of the icons on the left hand
side are missing and it still keeps disappearing even after the fix. Then I
tried a system restore but that didn't work (I found what to do about that
problem on another thread!). Another idea was to reinstall Windows XP, but I
haven't got a Windows XP disc as it was pre-installed on my machine. The
taskbar problem seemed to start after I downloaded a fix from MS following a
separate problem I was having when I did "Restart". This fix was apparently
part of SP2. I already have SP2 on my machine but I hit upon the idea of
re-installing that from a CD. The process got part the way through and then
failed with some message about a library??? So now I have a PC which has got
bits of this and that on it, which seems to have slowed right down and STILL
hasn't got a taskbar displaying correctly.
9 answers Last reply
More about computer complete mess

    If you haven't already, right click on your desktop, left click: Arrange Icons By, and
    make sure that: Show Desktop Icons has a checkmark to the left of it. If it doesn't, then
    click that item to put a checkmark to the left of it. If that is not applicable: Download
    and install TweakUI For Windows XP, one of the Microsoft Powertoys for Windows XP?

    You can find it at:

    tweakui.exe is located on the right side of the page. Click the link to download and save
    that file to your hard drive. Once saved to your hard drive, double click the file to
    install it. Once installed, Click your Start button/ All Programs/Powertoys For Windows
    XP/TweakUI. When TweakUI opens, at the bottom in the left pane click on Repair, in the
    right pane make sure that Rebuild Icons is showing on the drop down menu and click the
    Repair Now button. Then reboot your system.

    As for the Taskbar Problems:

    Try Kelly's Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    T.C.
    t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
    Remove [NoSpam] to reply

    "ChrisD" <ChrisD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Long story: The taskbar suddenly started disappearing and I followed a few
    > links to a 3P utility that got it back, but all of the icons on the left hand
    > side are missing and it still keeps disappearing even after the fix. Then I
    > tried a system restore but that didn't work (I found what to do about that
    > problem on another thread!). Another idea was to reinstall Windows XP, but I
    > haven't got a Windows XP disc as it was pre-installed on my machine. The
    > taskbar problem seemed to start after I downloaded a fix from MS following a
    > separate problem I was having when I did "Restart". This fix was apparently
    > part of SP2. I already have SP2 on my machine but I hit upon the idea of
    > re-installing that from a CD. The process got part the way through and then
    > failed with some message about a library??? So now I have a PC which has got
    > bits of this and that on it, which seems to have slowed right down and STILL
    > hasn't got a taskbar displaying correctly.

    Thanks for advice but TweakUI didn't work and nor did the kelly's-korner
    thing.
    What now??

    ChrisD wrote:

    > Thanks for advice but TweakUI didn't work and nor did the kelly's-korner
    > thing.
    > What now??

    Install the drive as a slave drive in another XP or Win2k computer and
    copy all essential data files. The restore the computer using the
    restore method provided by the vendor. If they didn't give you any
    disks, then there should be a hidden partition on the hard drive with an
    image of the drive as received from the vendor. Consult the
    documentation or tech support for the vendor on how to restore it. Then
    copy back the data files.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    I've restored Windows (not done a clean re-install) and the problem hasn't
    been fixed. Please don't tell me I have to do a full re-install!

    ChrisD wrote:

    > I've restored Windows (not done a clean re-install) and the problem
    > hasn't been fixed. Please don't tell me I have to do a full
    > re-install!

    OK, I won't. Then I guess you will just need to live with the problems
    you created by installing something that hosed your system.

    Seriously, we don't know enough about your computer to give you a good
    answer. Is it old? Is the hardware good? What was wrong that led you to
    install whatever it was you installed?

    Since you don't have a real operating system disk, your options are
    limited. You probably should run the System File Checker, but it may
    want an operating system cd. If SFC doesn't work, you can try a Repair
    Install, but you'll need an operating system cd. If the Repair Install
    doesn't work, then yes you need to clean install. At that point, since
    you have a Restore cd from the OEM just use that.

    So find a friend who has the same version of XP (Home or Pro, and
    probably should be an OEM version too) and borrow his disk to try some
    other repairs. Or take the machine to a professional computer repair
    shop (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA). No matter what you
    try, back up your data first.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Thanks for replies. In the end the answer was ridiculously simple. I hadn't
    got the Quick Launch option ticked, so doing that restored the left hand
    icons. Then I locked the taskbar and it doesn't disappear now. Then I changed
    the screensaver (which I had downloaded from the web) to a standard Windows
    one and all is well! The bonus is that re-installing Windows has allowed me
    to open links in some web sites which previously I couldn't, so another
    problem solved! Moral of the story- don't panic

    ChrisD wrote:

    > Thanks for replies. In the end the answer was ridiculously simple. I
    > hadn't got the Quick Launch option ticked, so doing that restored the
    > left hand icons. Then I locked the taskbar and it doesn't disappear
    > now. Then I changed the screensaver (which I had downloaded from the
    > web) to a standard Windows one and all is well! The bonus is that
    > re-installing Windows has allowed me to open links in some web sites
    > which previously I couldn't, so another problem solved! Moral of the
    > story- don't panic

    Glad you got it sorted. Thanks for posting the solution. You should
    still back up your data regularly.

    Malke
    --

    ChrisD wrote:

    > Thanks for replies. In the end the answer was ridiculously simple. I hadn't
    > got the Quick Launch option ticked, so doing that restored the left hand
    > icons. Then I locked the taskbar and it doesn't disappear now. Then I changed
    > the screensaver (which I had downloaded from the web) to a standard Windows
    > one and all is well! The bonus is that re-installing Windows has allowed me
    > to open links in some web sites which previously I couldn't, so another
    > problem solved! Moral of the story- don't panic

    Amazing...all of that hulabaloo (lol how do you spell it?) for a few
    simple settings. Glad it's fixed, and double ditto on Malke's backup
    comment. Always - Always have a full and complete backupl.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
    > ChrisD wrote:
    >

    > > Thanks for replies. In the end the answer was ridiculously simple. I hadn't
    > > got the Quick Launch option ticked, so doing that restored the left hand
    > > icons. Then I locked the taskbar and it doesn't disappear now. Then I changed
    > > the screensaver (which I had downloaded from the web) to a standard Windows
    > > one and all is well! The bonus is that re-installing Windows has allowed me
    > > to open links in some web sites which previously I couldn't, so another
    > > problem solved! Moral of the story- don't panic
    >
    > Amazing...all of that hulabaloo (lol how do you spell it?) for a few
    > simple settings. Glad it's fixed, and double ditto on Malke's backup
    > comment. Always - Always have a full and complete backupl.
    >
    > --
    > Rock
    > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Amen. The first thing that I tell my clients is BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP.
    --

    T.C.
    t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

Taskbar Computers Windows XP