Can I change from windows 7 32 bit to windows 7 64 bit

seandosmith

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
I am running a fairly new (July 2009) Toshiba Satellite L305-s5946 It came with Windows Vista 32-bit Home premium. As part of the free Windows 7 upgrade deal, I got a DVD with the Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Option software made for qualifying Toshiba computers. The DVD has both Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit on it. I cannot find an option to preform a custom install of the 64-bit version of Windows 7. I have tried twice to format and run the clean install "custom install" option, and both times ended up with only the 32-bit version of windows 7. I have everything backed up on a portable HDD so I dont care what I have to do to my HDD. At this point I don't know if since I got Windows Vista 32-bit version installed on the new computer, I am limited to only the 32-bit version of Windows 7, or if I am doing something wrong during the "clean Install" of windows 7. Also, maybe someone out there knows a way to get around this limitation. Or how to install the windows 7 64-bit version over the windows 7 32-bit.

seandosmith

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010

Thanks, but the person there was using the wrong disk (32-bit, not 64-bit). Both of my versions are contained on the same DVD and I can't tell how or even if I can run a "clean install" of the 64-bit version of Wondows 7.