Windows 7 Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

grs1938

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
I an using Windows 7 Professional (64Bit). Upgraded to IE9 and ever since when I go from one site (tab) to another site on the internet I get "a problem with this web page has caused Internet Explorer to close and reopen the tab". I tried uninstalling IE9 but IE8 didn't not show up and didn't show up on list of installed programs. I then tried downloading IE8 for Windows 7 Pro and it said IE8 is not compatible with my OS. HELP - What do I do?????? :fou:

DeadRam

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
You can uninstall IE9. Follow the instructions here.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_vista/i-want-to-uninstall-ie9-but-its-not-listed-in-the/d0243ea9-c050-4a47-80f9-fc176991b835

Here is the text from Microsofts site if the link doesn't work. I've used it. It works.

If you can't see it under Installed Updates, run this command twice from an command prompt (cmd.exe) with adminrights:

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*9.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:mad:fname /norestart"

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
Mmmm I wouldn't recommend that DeadRam. Thats not even a answer from a certified Microsoft Rep (not saying it wouldn't work) But then again you can patch a leaking hose with duct tape too ;). IE does A LOT of hook ins with the OS. That's why they don't provide a simple uninstall / reinstall like Chrome or firefox would.

@OP I would either do a restore, or a clean install. Just my suggestion / opinion.

X3773

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

This is not true.

If you had IE8 and upgraded to IE9 you can uninstall IE9. After that under Programs and Features select Turn Windows features on or off. A window will open and allow you to select Internet Explorer 8. After a restart of windows IE8 will be installed again.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
It's programs features, view installed updates, right click IE 9 and select uninstall x3773. But n e ways like i said before. OP take my advice or don't. Really could care less. I don't recommend trying to uninstall and revert back to 8. It wasn't meant to do that. It's not your typical application uninstall reinstall. I'm talking from work experience but hell what do I know :).

A long shot - but do you have an anti-virus/Phishing, etc toolbar on your browser?
Chrome was freezing on me (off & on) and when I closed the "browser" protecting toolbar the problem vanished.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.