java problems

July 29, 2005 5:55:03 PM

I ran an anti-spyware program to clean out an intrusion, and since then I
have not been able to open java applets sites I have used before with no
problems (eg: Radio 365, Yahoo Pagebulider, etc). How do I find out if I
inadvertantly disabled Java, and if I did, how can I re-enable it?

More about : java problems

Anonymous
July 30, 2005 12:13:36 AM

Hi nts - To determine your Java version:

For the MS JVM: In a command window, at the prompt enter jview
For the Sun JRE/JVM: In a command window, at the prompt enter
java -version

You can test whether Java is working on your machine at the following sites:

http://www.pocoso.de/pocoso052.html
http://www.clan.lib.ri.us/clan/javatest.html (This one may be down)
http://www.fitwise.com/testjava.asp (both 1.0 and 1.1 and what's installed)
http://coglab.wadsworth.com/support/browsercheck.html
http://www.ces.clemson.edu/webct/browser_detect.html

If you have Sun Java installed, you can run their test utility here:
http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.jsp

and you can test Javascript here:
http://www.dancespots.net/browsertest.htm

There is good information concerning all aspects of the Java situation here:
http://www.javatester.org/installing.html

Be aware, however, that after Dec 31, 2007, MS will apparently no longer be
distributing Java or providing any support for Java including security
fixes. See here: http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/java/ so you might want
to start thinking about the future. MS Java VM Transition FAQ are available
here:
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/java/faq.asp Information on the current
availability of the MS JVM is available here: INFO: Availability of Current
Build of Microsoft VM,
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;163637

You can get the Sun Java J2SE RunTimes or SDK here:
http://java.sun.com/downloads/index.html (all versions - select using the
dropdown - I recommend that you don't install any version prior to 1.4.2.08
in order to get an important security fix.)

Sun also offers an automatic download and install of the 1.4 Java plug-in
here: http://java.sun.com/getjava/download.html

If you want the latest and greatest, you can link to a download for the J2SE
5.0 JRE here: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp (What I use,
BTW)

For the MS Java VM, you may need to install v.3805 or v.3809 prior to
upgrading to v. 3810 if you didn't previously have MS Java v. 3805 or 3809
installed.

If your OS is Win2000 SP2, SP3 but NOT SP4 then you can download and install
MS Java VM v. 3809 from here:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-...
or here:
http://www.biologylab.awlonline.com/MSJavaVM/Software/e...

For Win2000 SP4, follow the directions here: Frequently Asked Questions
About the Microsoft VM and Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=820101 "Because the Microsoft VM files are
not protected by the Windows File Protection (WFP) feature in Windows 2000
SP4, redistributable versions of the Microsoft VM can be installed on a
Windows 2000 SP4-based computer with or without the Microsoft VM."

For all other OS's:

Download and install the MS Java VM v. 3809 from one of the links here:
http://ftp.idilis.ro/windows/sp/jvm98/msjavwu.exe, or here:
http://secinfo.huji.ac.il/patches/Win-xp/msjavwu.exe or v. 3805 from
here:
http://www.sijet.com/msjavx86.exe

Then upgrade to v. 3810:

For all OS's except Win2kSP4 obtain v. 3810 here:
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail.php3?fid=105002263... ,or here:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-...

For Win2k - SP2, SP3 - you can also obtain v. 3810 from Microsoft here:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/7/7/577b7277-2...

For Win2kSP4, to get 3810 from Microsoft you now have to get Q816093 from
Windows Update Catalog - use the procedure given in the Q820101 link given
above for Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition (Yes, Win98x/SE - it's
not a mistake). You can find directions for using the Windows Update
Catalog functions here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;323166.

Both Java VM's can co-exist on your machine quite nicely. Just select which
one you want to use in Tools|Internet Options|Advanced and restart all IE
browsers. Here, courtesy of Mitch Gallant, MVP Security, is a tiny utility
which allows you to toggle and view status of your current Java VM vendor
associated with IE:
http://www.jensign.com/JavaScience/SelectIEJVM/index.ht...

A note from Mitch Gallant:

"One note about the JVM Selector utility: If/when you install a new
version of Sun J2SE, you need to manually select to have Sun JVM as default
JVM for IE (in install), or after install via the JavaPlugin control panel.
This generates the necessary win32 registry entries, which must be present
for the utility to know about JavaPlugin. After that, the utility should
work properly."

Java and JavaScript are two different things. See here for tutorials on
the differences:

http://www.jsr.communitech.net/difference.htm
http://www.developer.com/java/other/article.php/639301

For JavaScript: download the latest engine for your particular OS here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?product...
Get both "Windows Script 5.6" and "JScript 5.6 Security Patch" for your
particular OS.

--
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

"nts_38" <nts_38@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I ran an anti-spyware program to clean out an intrusion, and since
> then I have not been able to open java applets sites I have used
> before with no problems (eg: Radio 365, Yahoo Pagebulider, etc).
> How do I find out if I inadvertantly disabled Java, and if I did, how
> can I re-enable it?
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 4:22:56 PM

http://www.xs4all.nl/~smuller/VMSite2/
Have a look at the installation check, which will advise you regarding your java.
There is also a forum link if required.

Sun version:
http://java.sun.com/getjava/index.html

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;168806
How to Troubleshoot Java Problems in Internet Explorer
and/or
To test Java:-
http://www.pocoso.de/pocoso052.html
To test Javascript:
http://www.dancespots.net/browsertest.htm
Java Tester: http://javatester.org/

"nts_38" <nts_38@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I ran an anti-spyware program to clean out an intrusion, and since then I
> have not been able to open java applets sites I have used before with no
> problems (eg: Radio 365, Yahoo Pagebulider, etc). How do I find out if I
> inadvertantly disabled Java, and if I did, how can I re-enable it?
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 10:07:12 PM

redownload it? resintall it from the downloaded file from Sun Microsystems?
I don't know....

Anyway Windows doesn't *come* with Java any longer due to the law suit
between Sun & Microsoft.

!