java problems

I ran an anti-spyware program to clean out an intrusion, and since then I
have not been able to open java applets sites I have used before with no
problems (eg: Radio 365, Yahoo Pagebulider, etc). How do I find out if I
inadvertantly disabled Java, and if I did, how can I re-enable it?
3 answers Last reply
More about java problems

    Hi nts - To determine your Java version:

    For the MS JVM: In a command window, at the prompt enter jview
    For the Sun JRE/JVM: In a command window, at the prompt enter
    java -version

    You can test whether Java is working on your machine at the following sites:

    http://www.pocoso.de/pocoso052.html
    http://www.clan.lib.ri.us/clan/javatest.html (This one may be down)
    http://www.fitwise.com/testjava.asp (both 1.0 and 1.1 and what's installed)
    http://coglab.wadsworth.com/support/browsercheck.html
    http://www.ces.clemson.edu/webct/browser_detect.html

    If you have Sun Java installed, you can run their test utility here:
    http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.jsp

    and you can test Javascript here:
    http://www.dancespots.net/browsertest.htm

    There is good information concerning all aspects of the Java situation here:
    http://www.javatester.org/installing.html

    Be aware, however, that after Dec 31, 2007, MS will apparently no longer be
    distributing Java or providing any support for Java including security
    fixes. See here: http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/java/ so you might want
    to start thinking about the future. MS Java VM Transition FAQ are available
    here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/java/faq.asp Information on the current
    availability of the MS JVM is available here: INFO: Availability of Current
    Build of Microsoft VM,
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;163637

    You can get the Sun Java J2SE RunTimes or SDK here:
    http://java.sun.com/downloads/index.html (all versions - select using the
    dropdown - I recommend that you don't install any version prior to 1.4.2.08
    in order to get an important security fix.)

    Sun also offers an automatic download and install of the 1.4 Java plug-in
    here: http://java.sun.com/getjava/download.html

    If you want the latest and greatest, you can link to a download for the J2SE
    5.0 JRE here: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp (What I use,
    BTW)

    For the MS Java VM, you may need to install v.3805 or v.3809 prior to
    upgrading to v. 3810 if you didn't previously have MS Java v. 3805 or 3809
    installed.

    If your OS is Win2000 SP2, SP3 but NOT SP4 then you can download and install
    MS Java VM v. 3809 from here:
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/CabPool/Q810030_W2K_510A502BA8F9B6F19230BB2BCCE87D5474AC9DCD.exe
    or here:
    http://www.biologylab.awlonline.com/MSJavaVM/Software/en/com_microsoft.windows2000/x86win2k/com_microsoft.Q810030_W2K_SP4_5849/Q810030_W2K.exe

    For Win2000 SP4, follow the directions here: Frequently Asked Questions
    About the Microsoft VM and Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=820101 "Because the Microsoft VM files are
    not protected by the Windows File Protection (WFP) feature in Windows 2000
    SP4, redistributable versions of the Microsoft VM can be installed on a
    Windows 2000 SP4-based computer with or without the Microsoft VM."

    For all other OS's:

    Download and install the MS Java VM v. 3809 from one of the links here:
    http://ftp.idilis.ro/windows/sp/jvm98/msjavwu.exe, or here:
    http://secinfo.huji.ac.il/patches/Win-xp/msjavwu.exe or v. 3805 from
    here:
    http://www.sijet.com/msjavx86.exe

    Then upgrade to v. 3810:

    For all OS's except Win2kSP4 obtain v. 3810 here:
    http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail.php3?fid=1050022631 ,or here:
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/MSJavWU_8073687b82d41db93f4c2a04af2b34d.exe

    For Win2k - SP2, SP3 - you can also obtain v. 3810 from Microsoft here:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/7/7/577b7277-227d-4163-9b18-423356321682/Q816093_W2K_SP4_X86_EN.exe

    For Win2kSP4, to get 3810 from Microsoft you now have to get Q816093 from
    Windows Update Catalog - use the procedure given in the Q820101 link given
    above for Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition (Yes, Win98x/SE - it's
    not a mistake). You can find directions for using the Windows Update
    Catalog functions here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;323166.

    Both Java VM's can co-exist on your machine quite nicely. Just select which
    one you want to use in Tools|Internet Options|Advanced and restart all IE
    browsers. Here, courtesy of Mitch Gallant, MVP Security, is a tiny utility
    which allows you to toggle and view status of your current Java VM vendor
    associated with IE:
    http://www.jensign.com/JavaScience/SelectIEJVM/index.html

    A note from Mitch Gallant:

    "One note about the JVM Selector utility: If/when you install a new
    version of Sun J2SE, you need to manually select to have Sun JVM as default
    JVM for IE (in install), or after install via the JavaPlugin control panel.
    This generates the necessary win32 registry entries, which must be present
    for the utility to know about JavaPlugin. After that, the utility should
    work properly."

    Java and JavaScript are two different things. See here for tutorials on
    the differences:

    http://www.jsr.communitech.net/difference.htm
    http://www.developer.com/java/other/article.php/639301

    For JavaScript: download the latest engine for your particular OS here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?productID=&freetext=jscript&DisplayLang=en
    Get both "Windows Script 5.6" and "JScript 5.6 Security Patch" for your
    particular OS.

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
    My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

    "nts_38" <nts_38@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I ran an anti-spyware program to clean out an intrusion, and since
    > then I have not been able to open java applets sites I have used
    > before with no problems (eg: Radio 365, Yahoo Pagebulider, etc).
    > How do I find out if I inadvertantly disabled Java, and if I did, how
    > can I re-enable it?

    http://www.xs4all.nl/~smuller/VMSite2/
    Have a look at the installation check, which will advise you regarding your java.
    There is also a forum link if required.

    Sun version:
    http://java.sun.com/getjava/index.html

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;168806
    How to Troubleshoot Java Problems in Internet Explorer
    and/or
    To test Java:-
    http://www.pocoso.de/pocoso052.html
    To test Javascript:
    http://www.dancespots.net/browsertest.htm
    Java Tester: http://javatester.org/

    "nts_38" <nts_38@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I ran an anti-spyware program to clean out an intrusion, and since then I
    > have not been able to open java applets sites I have used before with no
    > problems (eg: Radio 365, Yahoo Pagebulider, etc). How do I find out if I
    > inadvertantly disabled Java, and if I did, how can I re-enable it?

    redownload it? resintall it from the downloaded file from Sun Microsystems?
    I don't know....

    Anyway Windows doesn't *come* with Java any longer due to the law suit
    between Sun & Microsoft.

    "nts_38" <nts_38@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I ran an anti-spyware program to clean out an intrusion, and since then I
    > have not been able to open java applets sites I have used before with no
    > problems (eg: Radio 365, Yahoo Pagebulider, etc). How do I find out if I
    > inadvertantly disabled Java, and if I did, how can I re-enable it?

Java Anti Spyware Microsoft Windows XP