Switching external hard drive from XP PC to Windows 7 PC

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Windows 7
  • External Hard Drive
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows 7
October 5, 2012 6:03:09 PM

I have purchased a new PC with 64 bit Windows 7 OS. My old PC is a 32 bit Windows XP OS. I have a WD Passport 1tb external hard drive connected to the old PC that auto - backs up my files. I have already transfered files from my old PC to my new PC using a Windows Transfer Cable & software. Do I have to perform any changes to the External Hard Drive before I hook to the New Windows 7 PC? I am not sure if I should just hook the external hard drive to new PC and see what happens or what?

Thanks for any suggestions.
dale@fell.com

More about : switching external hard drive windows

a b $ Windows 7
October 5, 2012 6:18:53 PM

The Auto Backup feature requires software so the external HD won't start backing up data until you install the necessary software. You'll also need to configure the software to backup your data. Plug the external HD into your new PC and launch Windows Explorer to access the files. See how much room you have left and rename the folder to "OLD PC" or something if you want to keep the backup. Format the HD if you don't want them or need more room.
m
l
October 5, 2012 8:10:46 PM

Thanks for your response. I think there is software loaded on the hard drive because I did not receive a disc when I purchased the hard drive. I will plug the hard drive into my new PC and see if it recognizes it. I will let you know what happens.
m
l
Related resources
!