XP Home file transfer to and from an old Mac computer?

How can I transfer files back a forth, (over the internet), between my
new 'Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2' pc, and my old Macintosh computer?

Before buying the new 'XP machine', I used to move files over the
internet via FTP servers and FTP clients on two old Macintosh machine.

I am going through a Dlink routers on each end.

Thanks.

-Dennis

--
Dennis Kessler
http://www.denniskessler.com/acupuncture

    dk_ wrote:

    > How can I transfer files back a forth, (over the internet), between my
    > new 'Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2' pc, and my old Macintosh computer?
    >
    > Before buying the new 'XP machine', I used to move files over the
    > internet via FTP servers and FTP clients on two old Macintosh machine.
    >
    > I am going through a Dlink routers on each end.

    Why can't you do this? What happens? Error messages? I like the free FTP
    client FTP Commander for Windows:

    http://www.internet-soft.com/ftpcomm.htm

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    In article <uygw4YLlFHA.3968@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
    Malke <notreally@invalid.com> wrote:

    > dk_ wrote:
    >
    > > How can I transfer files back a forth, (over the internet), between my
    > > new 'Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2' pc, and my old Macintosh computer?
    > >
    > > Before buying the new 'XP machine', I used to move files over the
    > > internet via FTP servers and FTP clients on two old Macintosh machine.
    > >
    > > I am going through a Dlink routers on each end.
    > >

    > Why can't you do this? What happens? Error messages? I like the free FTP
    > client FTP Commander for Windows:
    >
    > http://www.internet-soft.com/ftpcomm.htm
    >
    > Malke

    Don't I need an FTP server on my Windows XP Home SP2 machine?

    -Dennis

    --
    Dennis Kessler
    http://denniskessler.com/acupuncture

    dk_ wrote:

    > In article <uygw4YLlFHA.3968@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
    > Malke <notreally@invalid.com> wrote:
    >
    >> dk_ wrote:
    >>
    >> > How can I transfer files back a forth, (over the internet), between
    >> > my new 'Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2' pc, and my old Macintosh
    >> > computer?
    >> >
    >> > Before buying the new 'XP machine', I used to move files over the
    >> > internet via FTP servers and FTP clients on two old Macintosh
    >> > machine.
    >> >
    >> > I am going through a Dlink routers on each end.
    >> >

    >> Why can't you do this? What happens? Error messages? I like the free
    >> FTP client FTP Commander for Windows:
    >>
    >> http://www.internet-soft.com/ftpcomm.htm
    >>
    >> Malke
    >

    > Don't I need an FTP server on my Windows XP Home SP2 machine?
    >
    > -Dennis

    Well I don't know Dennis, since you didn't tell us anything about your
    setup and what you have available to you. I have an FTP account on my
    web host's servers and that's what I use, so I don't use any FTP
    servers on any of my machines - Windows or Linux - just clients. I just
    upload to my FTP "space" and download from another machine.

    If you don't have an account with someone, then the answer is that you
    can't do this natively from XP Home. Pro has IIS, which contains an FTP
    server but Home does not. In that case, use third-party software.
    Google using the search term "ftp software" and you'll get over 13
    million links - the ones on the first page look like they will be a
    good place to start your research.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    In article <#c$65FRlFHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
    Malke <invalid@not-real.com> wrote:

    > dk_ wrote:
    >
    > > In article <uygw4YLlFHA.3968@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
    > > Malke <notreally@invalid.com> wrote:

    > >> Why can't you do this? What happens? Error messages? I like the free
    > >> FTP client FTP Commander for Windows:
    > >>
    > >> http://www.internet-soft.com/ftpcomm.htm
    > >>
    > >> Malke
    > >

    > > Don't I need an FTP server on my Windows XP Home SP2 machine?
    > >
    > > -Dennis
    > >
    > Well I don't know Dennis, since you didn't tell us anything about your
    > setup and what you have available to you. I have an FTP account on my
    > web host's servers and that's what I use, so I don't use any FTP
    > servers on any of my machines - Windows or Linux - just clients. I just
    > upload to my FTP "space" and download from another machine.
    >
    > If you don't have an account with someone, then the answer is that you
    > can't do this natively from XP Home. Pro has IIS, which contains an FTP
    > server but Home does not. In that case, use third-party software.
    > Google using the search term "ftp software" and you'll get over 13
    > million links - the ones on the first page look like they will be a
    > good place to start your research.
    >
    > Malke

    Malke,

    I guess that you've answered my question, and that is that there is
    nothing available in XP Home edition that will do FTP serving. I must
    use a 3rd party server, but which one???

    I transfer files back a forth between home and the office, or between
    either, and also between a portable laptop (when I'm out of town).
    ....for example, from home I will 'put and get' files from the office
    machine from the home machine, and when at the office I will 'put and
    get' file to the home machine. ...so I need servers on each machine. I
    use a mix of old Macintosh computers, a Windows 98 SE laptop, and
    finally a new HP tower machine with 'Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2.'

    On the Windows 98 machine, I use WS_FTP LE, for the client software and
    Jgaa's WarFTP Server (which I find complicated and confusing but
    powerful to setup).

    -Dennis

    --

    dk_ wrote:

    > Malke,
    >
    > I guess that you've answered my question, and that is that there is
    > nothing available in XP Home edition that will do FTP serving. I must
    > use a 3rd party server, but which one???
    >
    > I transfer files back a forth between home and the office, or between
    > either, and also between a portable laptop (when I'm out of town).
    > ...for example, from home I will 'put and get' files from the office
    > machine from the home machine, and when at the office I will 'put and
    > get' file to the home machine. ...so I need servers on each machine. I
    > use a mix of old Macintosh computers, a Windows 98 SE laptop, and
    > finally a new HP tower machine with 'Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2.'
    >
    > On the Windows 98 machine, I use WS_FTP LE, for the client software
    > and Jgaa's WarFTP Server (which I find complicated and confusing but
    > powerful to setup).

    Yes, I did answer your question that XP Home does not come with a
    built-in FTP server. As for which one, that's why I gave you the Google
    search. Go to some of the links and try some of the programs and decide
    which you like best. Or see if the WarFTP Server will work on XP. You
    have to research this yourself because only you know what pleases you
    in a program.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Dennis your web hosting company can set that up for you if it is not already
    done. Or if it is just something simple I just use http://www.yousendit.com
    which is free.

    "dk_" <nobody@spamless.com> wrote in message
    > In article <#c$65FRlFHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
    > Malke <invalid@not-real.com> wrote:
    >
    >> dk_ wrote:

    >> > Don't I need an FTP server on my Windows XP Home SP2 machine?
    >> >
    >> > -Dennis
    >> >
    >> Well I don't know Dennis, since you didn't tell us anything about your
    >> setup and what you have available to you. I have an FTP account on my
    >> web host's servers and that's what I use, so I don't use any FTP
    >> servers on any of my machines - Windows or Linux - just clients. I just
    >> upload to my FTP "space" and download from another machine.
    >>
    >> If you don't have an account with someone, then the answer is that you
    >> can't do this natively from XP Home. Pro has IIS, which contains an FTP
    >> server but Home does not. In that case, use third-party software.
    >> Google using the search term "ftp software" and you'll get over 13
    >> million links - the ones on the first page look like they will be a
    >> good place to start your research.
    >>
    >> Malke
    >
    > Malke,
    >
    > I guess that you've answered my question, and that is that there is
    > nothing available in XP Home edition that will do FTP serving. I must
    > use a 3rd party server, but which one???
    >
    > I transfer files back a forth between home and the office, or between
    > either, and also between a portable laptop (when I'm out of town).
    > ...for example, from home I will 'put and get' files from the office
    > machine from the home machine, and when at the office I will 'put and
    > get' file to the home machine. ...so I need servers on each machine. I
    > use a mix of old Macintosh computers, a Windows 98 SE laptop, and
    > finally a new HP tower machine with 'Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2.'
    >
    > On the Windows 98 machine, I use WS_FTP LE, for the client software and
    > Jgaa's WarFTP Server (which I find complicated and confusing but
    > powerful to setup).
    >
    > -Dennis
    >
    > --
    > Dennis Kessler
    > http://www.denniskessler.com/acupuncture

    I can and do move files via ftp, etc. with my web site, but I generally
    like direct access to all files, on all of my machines, from wherever
    amd whenever I connect. So I do need a file server on each machine.

    Thanks.

    -Dennis

    dk_ wrote:

    > I can and do move files via ftp, etc. with my web site, but I
    > generally like direct access to all files, on all of my machines, from
    > wherever amd whenever I connect. So I do need a file server on each
    > machine.

    Wait a minute. Now you're saying that you *do* have access to space on
    your web host's server? If this is the case, then you don't need an FTP
    *server* on any of your machines; you only need a *client*. I do this
    all the time. If I'm working on this laptop and I want access to a file
    on the laptop at some future date (when the laptop may not be on), I
    simply upload the file to my ftp account. Then I can get it from any of
    my computers, any time. Isn't this what you are asking? If it is, then
    it is frankly silly for you to run an ftp *server* personally, with the
    attendant security risks. Your webhost is already running one, and is
    the one who has the burden of keeping it secured.

    If this is the case, then just use an ftp client like FTP Commander
    (free) which works on a variety of Windows machines and it doesn't
    matter Home or Pro. I think you can also use IE for ftp, but I haven't
    found it to be as useful or trouble-free as FTP Commander. I don't know
    about Macs - on my Linux boxen I just use the built-in ability of KDE.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic"

    I'm sure I didn't explain that I want to have access to all of my files
    on the XP machine all the time. Also I want to directly upload files to
    my XP machine regularly. Too much trouble to load them to my hosting
    service and then get them when I'm at the XP machine.

    It would not serve me well to keep a copy of all of my files on a remote
    server (like my web hosting compaines machines). I do need some kind of
    file server on the XP Home Edition machine. All the other machines are
    setup to do what I need.

    Thanks.

    -Dennis

    In article <uvszoUVlFHA.764@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>,

    --

    dk_ wrote:

    > I'm sure I didn't explain that I want to have access to all of my
    > files on the XP machine all the time. Also I want to directly upload
    > files to my XP machine regularly. Too much trouble to load them to my
    > hosting service and then get them when I'm at the XP machine.
    >
    > It would not serve me well to keep a copy of all of my files on a
    > remote server (like my web hosting compaines machines). I do need some
    > kind of file server on the XP Home Edition machine. All the other
    > machines are setup to do what I need.

    Whatever. It still sounds like you make work for yourself, but it's all
    about choice.

    Either:

    1. Upgrade to XP Pro and install IIS; or
    2. Use a third-party FTP server. Do the research to see which one you
    like.

    Malke
    --

    In article <ua7wLtVlFHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
    Malke <notreally@invalid.com> wrote:

    > dk_ wrote:
    >
    > > I'm sure I didn't explain that I want to have access to all of my
    > > files on the XP machine all the time. Also I want to directly upload
    > > files to my XP machine regularly. Too much trouble to load them to my
    > > hosting service and then get them when I'm at the XP machine.
    > >
    > > It would not serve me well to keep a copy of all of my files on a
    > > remote server (like my web hosting compaines machines). I do need some
    > > kind of file server on the XP Home Edition machine. All the other
    > > machines are setup to do what I need.
    > >
    > Whatever. It still sounds like you make work for yourself, but it's all
    > about choice.
    >
    > Either:
    >
    > 1. Upgrade to XP Pro and install IIS; or
    > 2. Use a third-party FTP server. Do the research to see which one you
    > like.
    >
    > Malke

    I'm not familiar with "IIS". ...in order the use IIS, do you need to
    connect to the XP machine with another windows machine, or will a Mac
    sunning System 9.1 work?

    -Dennis

    --
    Dennis Kessler
    http://www.denniskessler.com/acupuncture

    In that case if you have OSX the feature is built in.

    >I can and do move files via ftp, etc. with my web site, but I generally
    > like direct access to all files, on all of my machines, from wherever
    > amd whenever I connect. So I do need a file server on each machine.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > -Dennis
    >

    > In article <0fOGe.8365$_%4.5294@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
    > "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Dennis your web hosting company can set that up for you if it is not
    >> already
    >> done. Or if it is just something simple I just use
    >> http://www.yousendit.com
    >> which is free.
    >>
    >> --

    >> "dk_" <nobody@spamless.com> wrote in message

    >> > Malke,
    >> >
    >> > I guess that you've answered my question, and that is that there is
    >> > nothing available in XP Home edition that will do FTP serving. I must
    >> > use a 3rd party server, but which one???
    >> >
    >> > I transfer files back a forth between home and the office, or between
    >> > either, and also between a portable laptop (when I'm out of town).
    >> > ...for example, from home I will 'put and get' files from the office
    >> > machine from the home machine, and when at the office I will 'put and
    >> > get' file to the home machine. ...so I need servers on each machine. I
    >> > use a mix of old Macintosh computers, a Windows 98 SE laptop, and
    >> > finally a new HP tower machine with 'Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2.'
    >> >
    >> > On the Windows 98 machine, I use WS_FTP LE, for the client software and
    >> > Jgaa's WarFTP Server (which I find complicated and confusing but
    >> > powerful to setup).
    >> >
    >> > -Dennis
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Dennis Kessler
    >> > http://www.denniskessler.com/acupuncture

    I'm covered on the Mac (running system 9.1), no problem. It's the XP
    Home Edition machine the I want to have access to all files from remote
    location.

    -DK

    In article <DCSGe.2313$iM7.49@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
    "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote:

    > In that case if you have OSX the feature is built in.

    > "dk_" <nobody@spamless.com> wrote in message
    > >I can and do move files via ftp, etc. with my web site, but I generally
    > > like direct access to all files, on all of my machines, from wherever
    > > amd whenever I connect. So I do need a file server on each machine.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > -Dennis
    > >

    > > In article <0fOGe.8365$_%4.5294@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
    > > "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Dennis your web hosting company can set that up for you if it is not
    > >> already
    > >> done. Or if it is just something simple I just use
    > >> http://www.yousendit.com
    > >> which is free.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>

    > >> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
    > >> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
    > >> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
    > >> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
    > >>

    > >> "dk_" <nobody@spamless.com> wrote in message

    Malke just gave the same answer I would have. You can also try something
    like this https://www.gotomypc.com/ they have a free trial.

    In article <SVTGe.2333$iM7.1693@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
    "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote:

    > Malke just gave the same answer I would have. You can also try something
    > like this https://www.gotomypc.com/ they have a free trial.

    This does look interesting. I couldn't easily find a price for the
    service on their site.

    -Dennis

    > "dk_" <nobody@spamless.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm covered on the Mac (running system 9.1), no problem. It's the XP
    > > Home Edition machine the I want to have access to all files from remote
    > > location.
    > >
    > > -DK
    > >

    > > In article <DCSGe.2313$iM7.49@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
    > > "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >> In that case if you have OSX the feature is built in.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>

    > >> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
    > >> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
    > >> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
    > >> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
    > >>

    > >> "dk_" <nobody@spamless.com> wrote in message

    --
    Dennis Kessler
    http://www.denniskessler.com/acupuncture

    A Mac will work. IIS is needed to make the FTP server. More info here
    http://www.webwizguide.com/asp/tutorials/installing_iis_winXP_pro.asp

    > In article <ua7wLtVlFHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
    > Malke <notreally@invalid.com> wrote:
    >
    >> dk_ wrote:
    >>
    >> > I'm sure I didn't explain that I want to have access to all of my
    >> > files on the XP machine all the time. Also I want to directly upload
    >> > files to my XP machine regularly. Too much trouble to load them to my
    >> > hosting service and then get them when I'm at the XP machine.
    >> >
    >> > It would not serve me well to keep a copy of all of my files on a
    >> > remote server (like my web hosting compaines machines). I do need some
    >> > kind of file server on the XP Home Edition machine. All the other
    >> > machines are setup to do what I need.
    >> >
    >> Whatever. It still sounds like you make work for yourself, but it's all
    >> about choice.
    >>
    >> Either:
    >>
    >> 1. Upgrade to XP Pro and install IIS; or
    >> 2. Use a third-party FTP server. Do the research to see which one you
    >> like.
    >>
    >> Malke
    >
    > I'm not familiar with "IIS". ...in order the use IIS, do you need to
    > connect to the XP machine with another windows machine, or will a Mac
    > sunning System 9.1 work?
    >
    > -Dennis
    >
    > --
    > Dennis Kessler
    > http://www.denniskessler.com/acupuncture

Windows XP Computers File Transfer Macintosh Product