Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

[paint] [model] hobby progress

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 11:20:30 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

It's been a busy 4 weeks for me since the last time we checked on actual
progress!

I painted 2 (metal) Space Marine Dreadnoughts, touching up a 3rd to
match; I also painted 7 new arms, touching up 3 older arms. The arms
are all interchangeable. But unlike the magnet boys, I use 3 pins that
fit into 3 holes in each arm. The friction from misalignment keeps
things on. The only problem is that I only have 1 Assault Cannon, so at
some point I should buy a couple more.

I painted the 54mm Inquisitor-scale Vindicare Assassin. He's not such a
bad model, but like the Tau, the GW stock photo has poor color design
that really doesn't help the model at all. Green/brown isn't even that
a bad of a basic idea (the new Nids show us much worse). It's just
really poorly implemented. Major conversion points were to replace the
wire with an actual wire, and to reshape the mask for something a bit
sleeker.

I'm mostly done (scratch) building my 3rd Demolisher. This one has been
a bit more painful than the rest, as I got it pre-assembled with plastic
cement as a Russ. Considering the annoyance of dealing with other
people's screwups (Marines), I think I'm going to stick with virgins.
Anyhow, the rear and upper hull is done. Need forward and side plates,
but the tank is definitely starting to take shape.

Yes, 4 models doesn't make much of a dent in the backlog. But if things
go well, I'll probably knock together my Hellhounds to keep with moving
my Imperials forward.

From a backlog total numbers/volume standpoint, I should probably focus
on BFG, Ogre Miniatures, and/or Fantasy, but finishing the easy stuff
has some real attraction.

How're the rest of you doing?

--
--- John Hwang "JohnHwang...@cs.com.no.com"
\-|-/
| A.K.D. F.E.M.C.
| Horned Blood Cross Terror LED Speed Jagd Destiny
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 1:48:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

John Hwang wrote:

> How're the rest of you doing?

Well, I'm snipping and trimming sprues for my LatD army - yes, the one from
the Tale of RGMW Gamers thread. I'm also touching up the primer on the
Sisters of Battle I snagged used from eBay, as well as soaking in CSC the 10
or so that were painted up past mere black primer. I have to get back to
work on the Guardians and various Aspect Warriors I've accumulated, although
I'm stalling on the Eldar vehicles - actually, I'm stalling on vehicles for
all my forces, even the reportedly easy-to-build Rhinos.

And finally, I'm in the middle of painting up a Combat Patrol's worth of my
assembled and primed Word Bearers. The main thing I've learned so far is
that I am a pretty bad painter. I can only hope that I'll get better with
practice.

--
Ken Coble

". . . but there was never any question of him beating me. That would
be absurd. I'm Colonel Bone of the Skyfalling 8th. I kill so that
there might be life. Nobody beats me. It is my fate, and yours too."
-from "A Dry Quiet War" by Tony Daniel
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 8:23:38 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

John Hwang wrote:

> How're the rest of you doing?

Nothing to report; awaiting the Wood Elf army deal. With a bit of free
time coming up in the next few weeks I'm thinking of ordering some
modelling supplies in preparation, and possibly getting to work on the
LE High Elf Hero still in his blister, the only miniature I have in
Australia. Anyone have any advice on Australian mail order suppliers
for decent paints, brushes, knives/clippers etc.?

Philip Bowles
Related resources
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 9:03:45 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

Hey,

> How're the rest of you doing?

I ordered a bunch of bionic bits from USMO.

All but two bits arrived as promised.

One was not available (I wasn't charged) and one just went missing.

MO called to check that I'd got everything okay, and sent the last bit.


Another 'Yay!' for the MO Trolls, or whatever they're called nowadays.

So it's IW, IH, and a few Orky bits to further 'age' some CSM.

It also seems an Iron Father is being corrupted into a Dark Chaplain.

Apostle Abe will have a hammer-headed Crozius when complete.

Certain conversions can make Loyalists gnash their teeth. }B> ]

Bonus!


Playa

--

"There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth,
when ye shall see Abraham."
- The book
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 12:58:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

I'm halfway through building a Valkyrie out of plasticard as the start of
the transportation for my Air Cav IG list, having already got a FW kit. I
guess at least one will have speakers bolted to the hull doors and I'll
carry an MP3 player around with "Ride of the Valkyries" on :) 

I'm about halfway through my Steel Legion troops painting, once the tanks
are done to go with them I'll have my first fully painted army. Watch out
for completed army pics sometime in 2019.

I've finally decided to take the basilisk chassis I had left over from an
eBay auction (the barrel was used on my Laser Destroyer) and build a
Salamander to add a fast vehicle to my IG AC. I'm tempted however to make
the rear portion removable so that it can be swapped out with other
platforms at a whim (should be easy to make a Griffon out of some plastic
tubes and bits).

My defiler conversion stalled as I got side-tracked with the IG and then the
Valkyrie, plus I've been helping the guys who I game with out on Thursday
nights with painting tips (ironic seeing as I rarely paint, and I can just
about manage tabletop quality), basing (although now they realise I just use
PVA and sand my help is no longer required), and converting (a squad of 10
DE Scourges made from plastic DE figs and Swooping Hawk wings mounted upside
down, the owner has a history of damage and destruction and doesn't want to
risk messing up his army).

Dan
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 4:09:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

It was a cold day in September when John Hwang entered the world pub known
as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...


>
> How're the rest of you doing?
>

I started to clean off my work table, but got sidetracked by some old MtG
cards, know anyone that wants old Alpha through 4th ed cards? I may decide
to sell them off, none of the power six cards though...

--
Jim M

"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)
"The only game I like to play is Old Maid - provided she's not too old." --
Groucho Marx

http://jimac.tripod.com
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 8:05:54 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

Jim M wrote:
> John Hwang entered ...
>>How're the rest of you doing?
>
> I started to clean off my work table, but got sidetracked by some old MtG
> cards, know anyone that wants old Alpha through 4th ed cards? I may decide
> to sell them off, none of the power six cards though...

eBay is your friend. You may be surprised how much those cards sell for.

--
--- John Hwang "JohnHwang...@cs.com.no.com"
\-|-/
| A.K.D. F.E.M.C.
| Horned Blood Cross Terror LED Speed Jagd Destiny
June 15, 2005 9:26:47 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

>
> How're the rest of you doing?
>
> --
> --- John Hwang "JohnHwang...@cs.com.no.com"

Purchased three additional attack bikes (older ones with metal parts)
to add to my existing one off of ebay. (12£ total including shipping)
Managed to produce three complete ones with a couple of left over
parts. I have attempted to make them weapon swappable.

To do this I snipped the metal post off of all the main weapons. I
then held the post lengthwise and drilled a 1.5mm hole through from top
to bottom. This at points cut through the sidewall but in 4 out of 5
attempts worked fine. I then put a 1.5mm piano wire through the post
covered with super glue that was cut about 1cm longer than the post.
This poked out both the top and bottom. I then drilled the base plate
on the sidecar and used the exposed piano wire in the bottom of the
post to pin it in place for extra strength. Then I drilled all the
weapons where the post originally attached which allows them to slotted
onto the exposed wire on the model. An added advantage is this allows
them to pan where they were originally static. Got them all base
coated black for a ravenwing colour scheme. Should get them finished
to a playable standard next painting session.

Finished off the three predators as well. So not a bad effort for me.

I have still played no games though. I must stop buying rulebooks and
not actually playing any games.

Regards,

Fin
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 2:22:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

John Hwang wrote:
> It's been a busy 4 weeks for me since the last time we checked on actual
> progress!
>
> I painted 2 (metal) Space Marine Dreadnoughts, touching up a 3rd to
> match; I also painted 7 new arms, touching up 3 older arms. The arms
> are all interchangeable. But unlike the magnet boys, I use 3 pins that
> fit into 3 holes in each arm. The friction from misalignment keeps
> things on. The only problem is that I only have 1 Assault Cannon, so at
> some point I should buy a couple more.
>
> I painted the 54mm Inquisitor-scale Vindicare Assassin. He's not such a
> bad model, but like the Tau, the GW stock photo has poor color design
> that really doesn't help the model at all. Green/brown isn't even that
> a bad of a basic idea (the new Nids show us much worse). It's just
> really poorly implemented. Major conversion points were to replace the
> wire with an actual wire, and to reshape the mask for something a bit
> sleeker.
>
> I'm mostly done (scratch) building my 3rd Demolisher. This one has been
> a bit more painful than the rest, as I got it pre-assembled with plastic
> cement as a Russ. Considering the annoyance of dealing with other
> people's screwups (Marines), I think I'm going to stick with virgins.
> Anyhow, the rear and upper hull is done. Need forward and side plates,
> but the tank is definitely starting to take shape.
>
> Yes, 4 models doesn't make much of a dent in the backlog. But if things
> go well, I'll probably knock together my Hellhounds to keep with moving
> my Imperials forward.
>
> From a backlog total numbers/volume standpoint, I should probably focus
> on BFG, Ogre Miniatures, and/or Fantasy, but finishing the easy stuff
> has some real attraction.
>
> How're the rest of you doing?
>
I put together a Nid Warrior except for the arms. 1st thing I've done
since codex Daemon Hunters came out.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 2:22:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

Snip
>> How're the rest of you doing?
>>
> I put together a Nid Warrior except for the arms. 1st thing I've done
> since codex Daemon Hunters came out.

85% done painting SM Cmd Sqd, in process of building new version Tact. Sqd
(mold lines are terrible), still trying to come up w/ universal camo pattern
for scouts (any ideas?), Rhino/razorback in various states of completion
(where the @&F^ does that toolbox fit?!), 90% done painting converted DA
chaplain (My best work, so far. Patience IS a virtue!!! Screaming and
throwing things isnt!)
Thats about it.
Im also really irked at GW jacking up prices here in the States yet again.
And there will be another one next July. Im really considering dropping GW
from my purchase list. Starship troopers is looking pretty nice.

grumble, grumble

drgrbek
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 2:22:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

"Desert Joe" <jboster@ridgnet.barf> wrote in message
news:hCGue.82485$_o.81689@attbi_s71...
> John Hwang wrote:
>> It's been a busy 4 weeks for me since the last time we checked on actual
>> progress!
>>
>> SNIP

> I put together a Nid Warrior except for the arms. 1st thing I've done
> since codex Daemon Hunters came out.

Just putting the finishing touches on my razorback.
So... Only three months worth of work left...
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 2:15:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

"Desert Joe" <jboster@ridgnet.barf> wrote in message
news:hCGue.82485$_o.81689@attbi_s71...

> I put together a Nid Warrior except for the arms. 1st thing
> I've done since codex Daemon Hunters came out.

Haven't seen any of my minis since last August and probably won't
see them again till this coming August. However, I did go to a
hobby store the other day and look at some GW blisters...


--

-smithdoerr
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 5:16:52 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

In article <1119600958.10fed9557a8f8c80c8559e1c2801e779@teranews>,
smithdoerr, askmeforname@vodafone.it Varfed out the following in Timo
speak...
>
> "Desert Joe" <jboster@ridgnet.barf> wrote in message
> news:hCGue.82485$_o.81689@attbi_s71...
>
> > I put together a Nid Warrior except for the arms. 1st thing
> > I've done since codex Daemon Hunters came out.
>
> Haven't seen any of my minis since last August and probably won't
> see them again till this coming August. However, I did go to a
> hobby store the other day and look at some GW blisters...

Fanboy!


Myr :) 

--
"I'm already impoverished from buying wargames minis,
and I'm too knackered for riotous living..."

-- Moramarth

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

http://www.sheppard.demon.co.uk/rgmw_faq/rgmw_faq.htm
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 2:35:30 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

In article <2tare.5628$L65.289@trnddc05>, John Hwang wrote:

<snip>

> How're the rest of you doing?

I haven't done anything GW related for the last couple of weeks, but
now I'm planning to

* Paint my first squad of Salamanders. A 10 strong unit with two
flamers and a veteran sergeant with power fist.

* Finish converting the commander with twin lightning claws. Almost
done.

* Assemble the Orc & Goblin border patrol that noone here wanted to
review.


--
Joakim
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 10:21:33 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

John Hwang wrote:
> It's been a busy 4 weeks for me since the last time we checked on actual
> progress!
>
Having moved to NZ and with no capable computer and connection, WoW has
been on the backburner for me, but I picked up a couple of boxes of
beastmen to paint for my mutant LaTD army.

I also have ideas for spawn and obliterators using ogres and my bitz
when they arrive.
!