[WFB] More Wood Elves

Despite the apparent complete lack of interest in the new Wood Elves
around here (Christof aside), here are some more pictures:

http://us.games-workshop.com/download/popup.htm?/games/warhammer/woodelves/extras/preview/images/twilight_sisters.gif

No question that the Sisters are far superior to the old dragon rider;
though the 'standing on the dragon' pose isn't the best either would
make a great infantry character, and it's good that they're separate
models rather than moulded as a pair - it makes using the dragon with
just one easier. The sprites will be easy enough to leave off, since
the dragon is the same model as before, and they actually look okay - I
might use them on character bases or Treemen. As a whole: 4. For either
of the sisters (especially the one on the dragon's neck) as infantry
characters: 5.

http://us.games-workshop.com/download/popup.htm?/games/warhammer/woodelves/extras/preview/images/warhawks.gif

I said these were an improvement over the last ones when I could only
see them on the army deal cover. Now I see them better I think I'll
take that back. The Champion isn't altogether bad; shame the same can't
be said for his companions and the birds. It's just as well Warhawk
Riders look to be an unpopular choice based on the Dakka rumours; I
shouldn't imagine I'll expand my unit beyond those in the army deal.
There's an old (current) Eagle in the background - the best of the
three, but it'll be a shame if they aren't redoing that model. Verdict:
1.5 (they aren't *quite* as bad as the Treeman).

http://us.games-workshop.com/download/popup.htm?/games/warhammer/woodelves/extras/preview/images/waywatchers.gif

I still hate the champion, and the models as a whole seem a bit
cluttered, but I love some of these poses - on balance I still prefer
the old Waywatchers, but I'll be very happy to get these in the army
deal (which fortunately appears not to include the Champion). 4.

>http://us.games->workshop.com/download/popup.htm?/games/warhammer/woodelves/extras/>preview/images/spellweaver.gif

Oh, dear. Still, there are at least two other mage (Spellweaver)
variants, and both are a lot better than this. And why the completely
out-of-theme Indian Chief look? 2.

http://us.games-workshop.com/download/popup.htm?/games/warhammer/woodelves/extras/preview/images/treekin.gif

Shame - I was hoping for so much better than this. They've got the
'wooden dinosaur' heads of the Treeman and the randomly-flailing
multiple limbs do nothing at all for the models - they certanly don't
evoke the idea of a tree with multiple branches, as is presumably the
idea. It's a shame, because without these they closely resemble the old
angry shrub Dryads (which I like) - the texturing, detail and poses are
all very similar, though they're less chunky. 2.

http://us.games-workshop.com/download/popup.htm?/games/warhammer/woodelves/extras/preview/images/glade_riders.gif

Finally, I get a proper look at these models - and they're brilliant.
Whoever painted the one from the Games Day photo screwed up massively.
I'm hesitant about the horse armour, though - I was expecting it to be
a full hood to protect the head; the half-mask not only makes little
sense for the horse and makes it harder to use in non-WE ranges, the
asymmetry is less than wholly pleasing, although I don't particularly
mind half-masks on the riders or Glade Guard. 4.

http://p096.ezboard.com/fbattlegladeforumfrm1.showMessage?topicID=5970.topic

Orion's hard to make out, but he's pretty clearly better than his
predecessor (maybe I shouldn't say this after I made a similar comment
about the Warhawk Riders not so long ago...) and I like his pose. The
Treeman looks different from the other one we've seen - presumably that
was Durthu. Sadly, it's even worse. Orion: 3 Treeman: 1 (yes, it really
is as bad as its predecessor).

So, in summary:

Orion: 3
Dragon + Sisters: 4
Spellweaver: 2
Glade Riders: 4
Warhawk Riders: 1.5
Treekin: 2
Waywatchers (exc. Champion): 4 (Champion 2)
Treeman: 1

Well, this brings the range as a whole down somewhat. Fortunately a
couple of the low points - the Warhawk Riders and Treekin - look
unattractive ruleswise if the Dakka rumours are to be believed, while
the Spellweaver can be replaced by the superior Enchantress models
we've already seen. That just leaves the Treeman, who's so bad that if
I want a Treeman I'll bite the bullet and get Durthu, try and remove
the sprites and vine 'tongue' and snip off the branch in the hopes of
making a semi-acceptable model. Or maybe I'll buy Treebeard instead.

Philip Bowles

And yet more I missed last time...

>http://server2.uploadit.org/files/Spiney-Wardancers.JPG

I really like all of these - the one standing on a branch is so good I
don't even mind the inevitable sprite. The fact that the musician uses
his sword hilts as drumsticks is a little silly, especially when he's
got a perfectly good staffsword, but the model's decent anyway.

http://server3.uploadit.org/files/Spiney-DirectOnly.JPG

Okay, I asked for more dynamic poses in WFB models, but there's such a
thing as going too far. Wardancer 4 I like a lot (wonder what Wardancer
3's like?) and the Eternal Guard would make a creditable unit champion
- not all that keen on the helmet design, though. But while very well
sculpted, the poses of the first two Wardancers are ridiculous
(especially the second) - full marks to GW for creativity, but even if
they were less over-the-top (literally) they still wouldn't fit well
into the unit as a whole. I like them as models regardless and might
pick them up as novelty pieces, though.

Philip Bowles

pbowles@aol.com wrote:
> Despite the apparent complete lack of interest in the new Wood Elves
> around here (Christof aside),

I like the new Wood Elves a lot. I just won't be buying any until I get
my existing stuff square away.

\-|-/

pbowles@aol.com wrote:
> And yet more I missed last time...
>

>>http://server2.uploadit.org/files/Spiney-Wardancers.JPG
>

> I really like all of these - the one standing on a branch is so good I
> don't even mind the inevitable sprite. The fact that the musician uses
> his sword hilts as drumsticks is a little silly, especially when he's
> got a perfectly good staffsword, but the model's decent anyway.
>
> http://server3.uploadit.org/files/Spiney-DirectOnly.JPG
>
> Okay, I asked for more dynamic poses in WFB models, but there's such a
> thing as going too far. Wardancer 4 I like a lot (wonder what Wardancer
> 3's like?) and the Eternal Guard would make a creditable unit champion
> - not all that keen on the helmet design, though. But while very well
> sculpted, the poses of the first two Wardancers are ridiculous
> (especially the second) - full marks to GW for creativity, but even if
> they were less over-the-top (literally) they still wouldn't fit well
> into the unit as a whole. I like them as models regardless and might
> pick them up as novelty pieces, though.
>
> Philip Bowles

ZZZZzzzzz... Huh? Wood Elves? I thought they got eaten by the Squats?!

pbowles@aol.com wrote:

> http://server3.uploadit.org/files/Spiney-DirectOnly.JPG
>
> Okay, I asked for more dynamic poses in WFB models, but there's such a
> thing as going too far.

At least we Eldar players are free of the guy who did the current
Striking Scorpions. ;)

\-|-/
| A.K.D. F.E.M.C.

>.. 1 Lord on foot.

£6-7

>a.. 1 Spellsinger on foot.

£5?

>a.. 8 plastic Glade Riders.

£18

>a.. 32 plastic Glade Guard.

£36, but are you sure? The army deal I saw pictured definitely had 18
skirmishing missile troops rather than 16, and 8 of them appeared to be
Waywatchers.

>a.. 12 plastic Dryads.

£18

>a.. 3 Warhawk Riders.

£21?

>a.. 6 Wardancers.

£12

>a.. Special Edition Standard Bearer, only available in this box set.

£6?

>a.. The all new Warhammer Armies: Wood Elves.

£12

Total: £134. Considering that I don't particularly want the Warhawks I
could do without, but I would rather like the standard bearer and I
would like to get the models early. Modelwise it still represents up to
1,500pts worth of troops by my calculations and certainly more than
1,000. On the other hand, a WE Battalion + Wardancers + characters
(allowing me to choose the better Spellsinger model - the one with the
staff) will no doubt be cheaper. Hmm, choices, choices...

Philip Bowles

UK price is £130 for the army deal.

Just had my invoice with a 30th July release date

a.. 1 Lord on foot.
a.. 1 Spellsinger on foot.
a.. 8 plastic Glade Riders.
a.. 32 plastic Glade Guard.
a.. 12 plastic Dryads.
a.. 3 Warhawk Riders.
a.. 6 Wardancers.

<pbow...@aol.com> wrote in message

>.. 1 Lord on foot.
£6-7
>a.. 1 Spellsinger on foot.
£5?
>a.. 8 plastic Glade Riders.
£18
>a.. 32 plastic Glade Guard.
£36, but are you sure? The army deal I saw pictured definitely had 18
skirmishing missile troops rather than 16, and 8 of them appeared to be

Waywatchers.
>a.. 12 plastic Dryads.
£18
>a.. 3 Warhawk Riders.
£21?
>a.. 6 Wardancers.
£12
>a.. Special Edition Standard Bearer, only available in this box set.
£6?
>a.. The all new Warhammer Armies: Wood Elves.
£12
Total: £134. Considering that I don't particularly want the Warhawks I

could do without, but I would rather like the standard bearer and I
would like to get the models early. Modelwise it still represents up to

>1,500pts worth of troops by my calculations and certainly more than
>1,000. On the other hand, a WE Battalion + Wardancers + characters
>(allowing me to choose the better Spellsinger model - the one with the
>staff) will no doubt be cheaper. Hmm, choices, choices...
>Philip Bowles
>

>Thats cut and pasted from my official contents note Philip...... I'm happy
>with that as a starter :)

Army deal: £130 (32 GG, 12 Dryads, 8 GR, 6 WD, 3 WR, 3 characters)

Wood Elf Battalion (assume 24 GG, 12 Dryads, 8 GR): £50
Infantry Noble: £6-7
Infantry Spellsinger: £5
6 Wardancers: £12
WA: Wood Elves: £12

Total: £85-£86

So, buying the army deal gives you 3 unwanted Warhawks, half a box of
extra archers and a standard bearer - for £50 more than buying the
pieces separately, and you can't select your hero models. That's the
price of an entire extra Battalion, or a 24-strong Eternal Guard
regiment (£49), about 5 Treekin or more Waywatchers and Wardancers
than you can shake a stick at (question: why is GW coming out with
metal Scouts if it acknowledges on the box art that you might as well
use skirmishing plastic Glade Guard?). With reluctance, since I'd like
the set early and I do like the BSB, I'll give this a miss - anyway I'd
rather have a cavalry BSB and I'm sure even on eBay he'll sell for
under £50...

I'm thinking that with the £50 I save I'll get myself:

9 Waywatchers £18
6 extra Wardancers £12
2 x Wardancer command £14
An additional Hero/Mage, which will leave me with an army along the
following lines:

Highborn: Scout Kindred. Bow of Loren, Arcane Bodkins, Glamourweave,
light armour 260pts + ?
Noble: Eternal Kindred, great weapon, longbow, Amarinthine Brooch (+
sprites?) 115pts + ?
Spellsinger: Level 2. Dispel Magic Scroll, extra dispel dice item?,
longbow. 175pts

8 Glade Guard: longbow 92pts
8 Glade Guard: longbow 92pts
8 Scouts: longbow 136pts
12 Dryads 144pts

8 Wild Riders: Spear, light armour. Full command. 244pts
8 Wardancers: Bladesinger, musician 165pts
8 Wardancers: Bladesinger, musician 165pts

9 Waywatchers: Longbow. 207pts

Total: 1,795pts (another box of Glade Riders or Glade Guard should bump
it to 2,000 or so - I'd go with the former), rather more than you get
in the army deal for the same price (and all more useful than a 3
Warhawk unit), with the same number of characters and units and 8 more
models. The Scouts are too expensive to be sure, but a WE army needs
its skirmishing archers. It's annoying that the Bow of Loren/Arcane
Bodkins combination (ranged shots = A, S3, no armour save) is too
expensive for a Hero, but I imagine that's wholly deliberate. All this
does of course assume that Dakka's rumours are accurate.

<pbowles@aol.com> wrote in message
>.. 1 Lord on foot.

£6-7

>a.. 1 Spellsinger on foot.

£5?

>a.. 8 plastic Glade Riders.

£18

>a.. 32 plastic Glade Guard.

£36, but are you sure? The army deal I saw pictured definitely had 18
skirmishing missile troops rather than 16, and 8 of them appeared to be
Waywatchers.

>a.. 12 plastic Dryads.

£18

>a.. 3 Warhawk Riders.

£21?

<pbow...@aol.com> wrote in message

Snippy cut cut.....

Put like that Philip....maybe I can wait and cancel my order :)

That said the Wife's buying it :) :)

But there again a £50 saving is £50 more towards my wetsuit

<pbowles@aol.com> wrote in message
>.. 1 Lord on foot.

£6-7

>a.. 1 Spellsinger on foot.

£5?

>a.. 8 plastic Glade Riders.

£18

>a.. 32 plastic Glade Guard.

£36, but are you sure? The army deal I saw pictured definitely had 18
skirmishing missile troops rather than 16, and 8 of them appeared to be
Waywatchers.

>a.. 12 plastic Dryads.

£18

>a.. 3 Warhawk Riders.

£21?

>a.. 6 Wardancers.

£12

>a.. Special Edition Standard Bearer, only available in this box set.

£6?

>a.. The all new Warhammer Armies: Wood Elves.

£12

Total: £134. Considering that I don't particularly want the Warhawks I
could do without, but I would rather like the standard bearer and I
would like to get the models early. Modelwise it still represents up to
1,500pts worth of troops by my calculations and certainly more than
1,000. On the other hand, a WE Battalion + Wardancers + characters
(allowing me to choose the better Spellsinger model - the one with the
staff) will no doubt be cheaper. Hmm, choices, choices...

Philip Bowles

Philip,

You are right in this. About £134 of models for £130. There are 32
archers. They have 14 in the ranked regiment and 18 in two skirmish units.
The wayatchers are very very different - see the gw site for a preview.

The key thing is that they are available at least one month before the stuff
comes out and you are paying a bit for that. Normally, the army deals mean
that you are getting just the standard bearer free.

I am getting the army deal and then will fill out with the battalion box
set, two lots of treekin, possibly 2 new treemen, and then my current 12
wardancers and 3 treemen plus dragon to get a decent size point count (oh
plus 2/3 new mages).

Steve Dixon wrote:
> <pbowles@aol.com> wrote in message
>
>>.. 1 Lord on foot.
>

> £6-7
>

>>a.. 1 Spellsinger on foot.
>

> £5?
>

>>a.. 8 plastic Glade Riders.
>

> £18
>

>>a.. 32 plastic Glade Guard.
>

> £36, but are you sure? The army deal I saw pictured definitely had 18
> skirmishing missile troops rather than 16, and 8 of them appeared to be
> Waywatchers.
>

>>a.. 12 plastic Dryads.
>

> £18
>

>>a.. 3 Warhawk Riders.
>

> £21?
>

>>a.. 6 Wardancers.
>

> £12
>

>>a.. Special Edition Standard Bearer, only available in this box set.
>

> £6?
>

>>a.. The all new Warhammer Armies: Wood Elves.
>

> £12
>
> Total: £134. Considering that I don't particularly want the Warhawks I
> could do without, but I would rather like the standard bearer and I
> would like to get the models early. Modelwise it still represents up to
> 1,500pts worth of troops by my calculations and certainly more than
> 1,000. On the other hand, a WE Battalion + Wardancers + characters
> (allowing me to choose the better Spellsinger model - the one with the
> staff) will no doubt be cheaper. Hmm, choices, choices...
>
> Philip Bowles
>
> Philip,
>
> You are right in this. About £134 of models for £130. There are 32
> archers. They have 14 in the ranked regiment and 18 in two skirmish units.
> The wayatchers are very very different - see the gw site for a preview.
>
> The key thing is that they are available at least one month before the stuff
> comes out and you are paying a bit for that. Normally, the army deals mean
> that you are getting just the standard bearer free.
>
> I am getting the army deal and then will fill out with the battalion box
> set, two lots of treekin, possibly 2 new treemen, and then my current 12
> wardancers and 3 treemen plus dragon to get a decent size point count (oh
> plus 2/3 new mages).

I may buy a couple wood elf guys just for fun or for characters for D&D.
If I plyed WFB I'd rate them #3 (H. elves, Empire 1&2)