i am thinking of getting a 64 bit processor but before I do I want to make
sure I can still install Windows XP Pro 32 bit edition... Is this
possible??

Miclo

Yes.. a 64bit system will run 32bit XP..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Miclo" <Miclo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i am thinking of getting a 64 bit processor but before I do I want to make
> sure I can still install Windows XP Pro 32 bit edition... Is this
> possible??

Specifically there is both a 32 bit and 64 bit version of Windows. A 64 bit
chip will run on either the 32 bit or 64 bit version of Windows.

Before purchasing a 64 bit version of Windows you would want to make sure
all of your important devices have 64 bit drivers available, or you will be
having to buy new hardware. This was the problem with my own 64 bit system
when I installed the beta. This is not a problem with software because 32
bit software will run on a 64 bit system with a 64 bit version of Windows
installed.

Another thing to keep in mind is the 64 bit version of Windows is a little
ahead of its time. You will only get a significant performance boost if you
are also running 64 bit versions of your other software programs. At this
time very few software vendors have shipped a 64 bit version.

Most of the above probably will not apply to you as you are probably going
to run a 32 bit version of Windows, but I would be looking for the 64 bit
version of Windows Vista when it ships.

--
http://www.americantechie.com

> Miclo
>
> Yes.. a 64bit system will run 32bit XP..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>

> "Miclo" <Miclo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>i am thinking of getting a 64 bit processor but before I do I want to make
>> sure I can still install Windows XP Pro 32 bit edition... Is this
>> possible??

You also replied to the wrong person.. :)

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Americantechie" <john(dot)fuller@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
> Specifically there is both a 32 bit and 64 bit version of Windows. A 64
> bit chip will run on either the 32 bit or 64 bit version of Windows.
>
> Before purchasing a 64 bit version of Windows you would want to make sure
> all of your important devices have 64 bit drivers available, or you will
> be having to buy new hardware. This was the problem with my own 64 bit
> system when I installed the beta. This is not a problem with software
> because 32 bit software will run on a 64 bit system with a 64 bit version
> of Windows installed.
>
> Another thing to keep in mind is the 64 bit version of Windows is a little
> ahead of its time. You will only get a significant performance boost if
> you are also running 64 bit versions of your other software programs. At
> this time very few software vendors have shipped a 64 bit version.
>
> Most of the above probably will not apply to you as you are probably going
> to run a 32 bit version of Windows, but I would be looking for the 64 bit
> version of Windows Vista when it ships.
>
> --
> http://www.americantechie.com
>
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Miclo
>>
>> Yes.. a 64bit system will run 32bit XP..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Miclo" <Miclo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>i am thinking of getting a 64 bit processor but before I do I want to
>>>make
>>> sure I can still install Windows XP Pro 32 bit edition... Is this
>>> possible??

A CPU (16 bit, 32 bit, 64 bit) does not run ON Windows. Windows, any
version, runs ON a CPU.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Americantechie" <john(dot)fuller@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
> Specifically there is both a 32 bit and 64 bit version of Windows. A 64
> bit chip will run on either the 32 bit or 64 bit version of Windows.
>
> Before purchasing a 64 bit version of Windows you would want to make sure
> all of your important devices have 64 bit drivers available, or you will
> be having to buy new hardware. This was the problem with my own 64 bit
> system when I installed the beta. This is not a problem with software
> because 32 bit software will run on a 64 bit system with a 64 bit version
> of Windows installed.
>
> Another thing to keep in mind is the 64 bit version of Windows is a little
> ahead of its time. You will only get a significant performance boost if
> you are also running 64 bit versions of your other software programs. At
> this time very few software vendors have shipped a 64 bit version.
>
> Most of the above probably will not apply to you as you are probably going
> to run a 32 bit version of Windows, but I would be looking for the 64 bit
> version of Windows Vista when it ships.
>
> --
> http://www.americantechie.com
>
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Miclo
>>
>> Yes.. a 64bit system will run 32bit XP..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Miclo" <Miclo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>i am thinking of getting a 64 bit processor but before I do I want to
>>>make
>>> sure I can still install Windows XP Pro 32 bit edition... Is this
>>> possible??

Geez... semantics schmantics.

--
"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>A CPU (16 bit, 32 bit, 64 bit) does not run ON Windows. Windows, any
>version, runs ON a CPU.
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "Americantechie" <john(dot)fuller@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
>> Specifically there is both a 32 bit and 64 bit version of Windows. A 64
>> bit chip will run on either the 32 bit or 64 bit version of Windows.
>>
>> Before purchasing a 64 bit version of Windows you would want to make sure
>> all of your important devices have 64 bit drivers available, or you will
>> be having to buy new hardware. This was the problem with my own 64 bit
>> system when I installed the beta. This is not a problem with software
>> because 32 bit software will run on a 64 bit system with a 64 bit version
>> of Windows installed.
>>
>> Another thing to keep in mind is the 64 bit version of Windows is a
>> little ahead of its time. You will only get a significant performance
>> boost if you are also running 64 bit versions of your other software
>> programs. At this time very few software vendors have shipped a 64 bit
>> version.
>>
>> Most of the above probably will not apply to you as you are probably
>> going to run a 32 bit version of Windows, but I would be looking for the
>> 64 bit version of Windows Vista when it ships.
>>
>> --
>> http://www.americantechie.com
>>
>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>> Miclo
>>>
>>> Yes.. a 64bit system will run 32bit XP..
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike Hall
>>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>>

>>> "Miclo" <Miclo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Oh look, I top posted too... shame on me. Just trying to give the dude some
info...

--
> You also replied to the wrong person.. :)
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>

> "Americantechie" <john(dot)fuller@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
>> Specifically there is both a 32 bit and 64 bit version of Windows. A 64
>> bit chip will run on either the 32 bit or 64 bit version of Windows.
>>
>> Before purchasing a 64 bit version of Windows you would want to make sure
>> all of your important devices have 64 bit drivers available, or you will
>> be having to buy new hardware. This was the problem with my own 64 bit
>> system when I installed the beta. This is not a problem with software
>> because 32 bit software will run on a 64 bit system with a 64 bit version
>> of Windows installed.
>>
>> Another thing to keep in mind is the 64 bit version of Windows is a
>> little ahead of its time. You will only get a significant performance
>> boost if you are also running 64 bit versions of your other software
>> programs. At this time very few software vendors have shipped a 64 bit
>> version.
>>
>> Most of the above probably will not apply to you as you are probably
>> going to run a 32 bit version of Windows, but I would be looking for the
>> 64 bit version of Windows Vista when it ships.
>>
>> --
>> http://www.americantechie.com
>>
>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>> Miclo
>>>
>>> Yes.. a 64bit system will run 32bit XP..
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike Hall
>>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>>

>>> "Miclo" <Miclo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Not to be confused with PCs having a 64 bit PCI bus.

Miclo wrote:
> i am thinking of getting a 64 bit processor but before I do I want to make
> sure I can still install Windows XP Pro 32 bit edition... Is this
> possible??

Actually, it depends upon the the specific type of 64-bit CPU that you
use.

Intel's Itanium and Itanium II CPUs are 64-bit CPUs that will support
only a very specific version of 64-bit WinXP Pro. These CPUs will not
support any 32-bit operating system

However, if you use AMD's Athlon64 or Intel's newer EM64T CPUs, you can
still use a 32-bit OS, if necessary.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Not semantics at all.. accuracy is a key to success..

--

> Geez... semantics schmantics.
>
> --
> http://www.americantechie.com
> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:%234m%23QaLlFHA.2920@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>A CPU (16 bit, 32 bit, 64 bit) does not run ON Windows. Windows, any
>>version, runs ON a CPU.
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from: George Ankner
>> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>>
>> "Americantechie" <john(dot)fuller@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Specifically there is both a 32 bit and 64 bit version of Windows. A 64
>>> bit chip will run on either the 32 bit or 64 bit version of Windows.
>>>
>>> Before purchasing a 64 bit version of Windows you would want to make
>>> sure all of your important devices have 64 bit drivers available, or you
>>> will be having to buy new hardware. This was the problem with my own 64
>>> bit system when I installed the beta. This is not a problem with
>>> software because 32 bit software will run on a 64 bit system with a 64
>>> bit version of Windows installed.
>>>
>>> Another thing to keep in mind is the 64 bit version of Windows is a
>>> little ahead of its time. You will only get a significant performance
>>> boost if you are also running 64 bit versions of your other software
>>> programs. At this time very few software vendors have shipped a 64 bit
>>> version.
>>>
>>> Most of the above probably will not apply to you as you are probably
>>> going to run a 32 bit version of Windows, but I would be looking for the
>>> 64 bit version of Windows Vista when it ships.
>>>
>>> --
>>> http://www.americantechie.com
>>>
>>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Ok so I was writing the post and got the wording incorrect. You are
nitpicking. I hae seen much worse "misinformation" in this newsgroup. In
any case I think the readers know what I meant and certainly there is no
possibility of any harm being done from my incorrect wording.