how do I restore my XP Pro from the disk

My system won't boot.
only goes so far and then it stops.
I tried safe mode and it stops there also.
I can't get to system restore to return to a prior working state.

I have the paid for XP Pro disk but can't seem to find a way to restore a
working system.

Please and thank you.

Windows... Just say no!

Bill H. in Chicagoland
8 answers Last reply
More about restore disk

    Boot your XP CD and select install,

    Bypass Restore and go all the way through like a full install,
    until you get past the EULA agreement,
    Then select REPAIR,
    this will take about an hour,
    You will not lose any programs doing this,

    Good Luck,
    Jerry

    FireBrick wrote:

    > My system won't boot.
    > only goes so far and then it stops.
    > I tried safe mode and it stops there also.
    > I can't get to system restore to return to a prior working state.
    >
    > I have the paid for XP Pro disk but can't seem to find a way to restore a
    > working system.
    >
    > Please and thank you.

    Stops where - at what specific point in the boot up process? Any error
    messages? What happened to cause this problem? Any changes to the
    system? There is no way to run system restore unless the computer is
    booted into XP, normal or safe mode.

    Do you have a backup of the important data on the system? If so then
    boot from the XP install disk into the Recovery Console. You may need
    to enter the BIOS and change the boot order to boot from the CD first.
    After it boots take the first R and type in the built in administrator
    account password that was assigned to this account when XP Pro was first
    installed or whatever the current password is if you changed it. If no
    password was assigned at install, then leave the password blank and just
    hit enter. Once at the command prompt do a

    chkdsk /p, then hit enter. Let it run.

    If there is no backup, first thing is to backup important data. One way
    is to install the drive as a slave drive in another working XP or win2k
    computer and backup the data. Then do the chkdsk.

    How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    It stalls
    It says my version is newer than the version on the disk.
    Probably due to all the updates.
    It won't allow me to go any further.

    "Squire" <jerrym526@cableone.net> wrote in message
    > Boot your XP CD and select install,
    >
    > Bypass Restore and go all the way through like a full install,
    > until you get past the EULA agreement,
    > Then select REPAIR,
    > this will take about an hour,
    > You will not lose any programs doing this,
    >
    > Good Luck,
    > Jerry
    > "FireBrick" <w9ol.nospam@comcast.com> wrote in message
    >> My system won't boot.
    >> only goes so far and then it stops.
    >> I tried safe mode and it stops there also.
    >> I can't get to system restore to return to a prior working state.
    >>
    >> I have the paid for XP Pro disk but can't seem to find a way to restore a
    >> working system.
    >>
    >> Please and thank you.
    >>

    >> --

    >> Windows... Just say no!
    >>
    >> Bill H. in Chicagoland

    OK, it looks like you will have to go through with a full install.
    This will give you a chance to create new partitions if you need to, and be
    sure to format in the NTFS mode.

    Unless someone has a better idea.

    > It stalls
    > It says my version is newer than the version on the disk.
    > Probably due to all the updates.
    > It won't allow me to go any further.
    >

    > "Squire" <jerrym526@cableone.net> wrote in message
    >> Boot your XP CD and select install,
    >>
    >> Bypass Restore and go all the way through like a full install,
    >> until you get past the EULA agreement,
    >> Then select REPAIR,
    >> this will take about an hour,
    >> You will not lose any programs doing this,
    >>
    >> Good Luck,
    >> Jerry
    >> "FireBrick" <w9ol.nospam@comcast.com> wrote in message
    >>> My system won't boot.
    >>> only goes so far and then it stops.
    >>> I tried safe mode and it stops there also.
    >>> I can't get to system restore to return to a prior working state.
    >>>
    >>> I have the paid for XP Pro disk but can't seem to find a way to restore
    >>> a working system.
    >>>
    >>> Please and thank you.
    >>>

    >>> --

    >>> Windows... Just say no!
    >>>
    >>> Bill H. in Chicagoland

    You will have to do a restore using a copy of Windows XP Professional that
    has SP2 incorporated into the build.

    Go here and download AutoStreamer. This little program will walk you through
    the necessary steps to burn a new CD that has what you need - and then do it
    for you.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "FireBrick" <w9ol.nospam@comcast.com> wrote in message
    > It stalls
    > It says my version is newer than the version on the disk.
    > Probably due to all the updates.
    > It won't allow me to go any further.
    >

    > "Squire" <jerrym526@cableone.net> wrote in message
    >> Boot your XP CD and select install,
    >>
    >> Bypass Restore and go all the way through like a full install,
    >> until you get past the EULA agreement,
    >> Then select REPAIR,
    >> this will take about an hour,
    >> You will not lose any programs doing this,
    >>
    >> Good Luck,
    >> Jerry
    >> "FireBrick" <w9ol.nospam@comcast.com> wrote in message
    >>> My system won't boot.
    >>> only goes so far and then it stops.
    >>> I tried safe mode and it stops there also.
    >>> I can't get to system restore to return to a prior working state.
    >>>
    >>> I have the paid for XP Pro disk but can't seem to find a way to restore
    >>> a working system.
    >>>
    >>> Please and thank you.
    >>>

    >>> --

    >>> Windows... Just say no!
    >>>
    >>> Bill H. in Chicagoland

    "FireBrick" <w9ol.nospam@comcast.com> wrote in message
    > It stalls
    > It says my version is newer than the version on the disk.
    > Probably due to all the updates.
    > It won't allow me to go any further.

    If you have access to a friend's system - or a technician with facility to
    do this (i.e. SP2 and a CD burner) download to their system the full SP2:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    you're looking for this file:
    WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe

    then, follow the directions at this site (or others) to create a
    slipstreamed CD:

    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

    Finally, be *sure* that you follow the directions carefully wrt extracting
    the files to make the CD bootable. Test the CD before you head back to
    your machine, to be sure that it DOES boot.

    Once you've done this, you will be able to do a repair install with the
    slipstreamed CD. Keep that CD with your original one.

    HTH

    -pk

    > "Squire" <jerrym526@cableone.net> wrote in message
    >> Boot your XP CD and select install,
    >>
    >> Bypass Restore and go all the way through like a full install,
    >> until you get past the EULA agreement,
    >> Then select REPAIR,
    >> this will take about an hour,
    >> You will not lose any programs doing this,
    >>
    >> Good Luck,
    >> Jerry
    >> "FireBrick" <w9ol.nospam@comcast.com> wrote in message
    >>> My system won't boot.
    >>> only goes so far and then it stops.
    >>> I tried safe mode and it stops there also.
    >>> I can't get to system restore to return to a prior working state.
    >>>
    >>> I have the paid for XP Pro disk but can't seem to find a way to restore
    >>> a working system.
    >>>
    >>> Please and thank you.
    >>>

    >>> --

    >>> Windows... Just say no!
    >>>
    >>> Bill H. in Chicagoland

    I guess I was tired last night. Please go here for AutoStreamer
    http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/1092632287/1.

    Sorry!

    --

    "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > You will have to do a restore using a copy of Windows XP Professional that
    > has SP2 incorporated into the build.
    >
    > Go here and download AutoStreamer. This little program will walk you
    > through the necessary steps to burn a new CD that has what you need - and
    > then do it for you.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Quote from: George Ankner
    >
    > "FireBrick" <w9ol.nospam@comcast.com> wrote in message
    >> It stalls
    >> It says my version is newer than the version on the disk.
    >> Probably due to all the updates.
    >> It won't allow me to go any further.
    >>

    >> "Squire" <jerrym526@cableone.net> wrote in message
    >>> Boot your XP CD and select install,
    >>>
    >>> Bypass Restore and go all the way through like a full install,
    >>> until you get past the EULA agreement,
    >>> Then select REPAIR,
    >>> this will take about an hour,
    >>> You will not lose any programs doing this,
    >>>
    >>> Good Luck,
    >>> Jerry
    >>> "FireBrick" <w9ol.nospam@comcast.com> wrote in message

    have you tried the F8-boot menu's "last good startup"?

    "FireBrick" <w9ol.nospam@comcast.com> wrote in message
    > My system won't boot.
    > only goes so far and then it stops.
    > I tried safe mode and it stops there also.
    > I can't get to system restore to return to a prior working state.
    >
    > I have the paid for XP Pro disk but can't seem to find a way to restore a
    > working system.
    >
    > Please and thank you.

    > Windows... Just say no!
    >
    > Bill H. in Chicagoland

Safe Mode Windows XP Microsoft System Restore