Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

how do I restore my XP Pro from the disk

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
July 29, 2005 10:44:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

My system won't boot.
only goes so far and then it stops.
I tried safe mode and it stops there also.
I can't get to system restore to return to a prior working state.

I have the paid for XP Pro disk but can't seem to find a way to restore a
working system.

Please and thank you.


--


-----------------------------------------------------
Windows... Just say no!
-----------------------------------------------------

Bill H. in Chicagoland

More about : restore pro disk

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 10:44:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Boot your XP CD and select install,

Bypass Restore and go all the way through like a full install,
until you get past the EULA agreement,
Then select REPAIR,
this will take about an hour,
You will not lose any programs doing this,

Good Luck,
Jerry
"FireBrick" <w9ol.nospam@comcast.com> wrote in message
news:o DVofdJlFHA.3312@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> My system won't boot.
> only goes so far and then it stops.
> I tried safe mode and it stops there also.
> I can't get to system restore to return to a prior working state.
>
> I have the paid for XP Pro disk but can't seem to find a way to restore a
> working system.
>
> Please and thank you.
>
>
> --
>
>
> -----------------------------------------------------
> Windows... Just say no!
> -----------------------------------------------------
>
> Bill H. in Chicagoland
>
>
July 29, 2005 11:22:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

FireBrick wrote:

> My system won't boot.
> only goes so far and then it stops.
> I tried safe mode and it stops there also.
> I can't get to system restore to return to a prior working state.
>
> I have the paid for XP Pro disk but can't seem to find a way to restore a
> working system.
>
> Please and thank you.
>
>

Stops where - at what specific point in the boot up process? Any error
messages? What happened to cause this problem? Any changes to the
system? There is no way to run system restore unless the computer is
booted into XP, normal or safe mode.

Do you have a backup of the important data on the system? If so then
boot from the XP install disk into the Recovery Console. You may need
to enter the BIOS and change the boot order to boot from the CD first.
After it boots take the first R and type in the built in administrator
account password that was assigned to this account when XP Pro was first
installed or whatever the current password is if you changed it. If no
password was assigned at install, then leave the password blank and just
hit enter. Once at the command prompt do a

chkdsk /p, then hit enter. Let it run.

If there is no backup, first thing is to backup important data. One way
is to install the drive as a slave drive in another working XP or win2k
computer and backup the data. Then do the chkdsk.

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
Related resources
July 30, 2005 12:58:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

It stalls
It says my version is newer than the version on the disk.
Probably due to all the updates.
It won't allow me to go any further.



"Squire" <jerrym526@cableone.net> wrote in message
news:uM7lNoJlFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Boot your XP CD and select install,
>
> Bypass Restore and go all the way through like a full install,
> until you get past the EULA agreement,
> Then select REPAIR,
> this will take about an hour,
> You will not lose any programs doing this,
>
> Good Luck,
> Jerry
> "FireBrick" <w9ol.nospam@comcast.com> wrote in message
> news:o DVofdJlFHA.3312@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> My system won't boot.
>> only goes so far and then it stops.
>> I tried safe mode and it stops there also.
>> I can't get to system restore to return to a prior working state.
>>
>> I have the paid for XP Pro disk but can't seem to find a way to restore a
>> working system.
>>
>> Please and thank you.
>>
>>
>> --
>>
>>
>> -----------------------------------------------------
>> Windows... Just say no!
>> -----------------------------------------------------
>>
>> Bill H. in Chicagoland
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 12:58:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

OK, it looks like you will have to go through with a full install.
This will give you a chance to create new partitions if you need to, and be
sure to format in the NTFS mode.

Unless someone has a better idea.
Jerry

"FireBrick" <w9ol.nospam@comcast.com> wrote in message
news:ete7MoKlFHA.3336@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> It stalls
> It says my version is newer than the version on the disk.
> Probably due to all the updates.
> It won't allow me to go any further.
>
>
>
> "Squire" <jerrym526@cableone.net> wrote in message
> news:uM7lNoJlFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Boot your XP CD and select install,
>>
>> Bypass Restore and go all the way through like a full install,
>> until you get past the EULA agreement,
>> Then select REPAIR,
>> this will take about an hour,
>> You will not lose any programs doing this,
>>
>> Good Luck,
>> Jerry
>> "FireBrick" <w9ol.nospam@comcast.com> wrote in message
>> news:o DVofdJlFHA.3312@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> My system won't boot.
>>> only goes so far and then it stops.
>>> I tried safe mode and it stops there also.
>>> I can't get to system restore to return to a prior working state.
>>>
>>> I have the paid for XP Pro disk but can't seem to find a way to restore
>>> a working system.
>>>
>>> Please and thank you.
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>>
>>> -----------------------------------------------------
>>> Windows... Just say no!
>>> -----------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> Bill H. in Chicagoland
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 2:56:24 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You will have to do a restore using a copy of Windows XP Professional that
has SP2 incorporated into the build.

Go here and download AutoStreamer. This little program will walk you through
the necessary steps to burn a new CD that has what you need - and then do it
for you.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner
"If you knew as much as you thought you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"

"FireBrick" <w9ol.nospam@comcast.com> wrote in message
news:ete7MoKlFHA.3336@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> It stalls
> It says my version is newer than the version on the disk.
> Probably due to all the updates.
> It won't allow me to go any further.
>
>
>
> "Squire" <jerrym526@cableone.net> wrote in message
> news:uM7lNoJlFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Boot your XP CD and select install,
>>
>> Bypass Restore and go all the way through like a full install,
>> until you get past the EULA agreement,
>> Then select REPAIR,
>> this will take about an hour,
>> You will not lose any programs doing this,
>>
>> Good Luck,
>> Jerry
>> "FireBrick" <w9ol.nospam@comcast.com> wrote in message
>> news:o DVofdJlFHA.3312@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> My system won't boot.
>>> only goes so far and then it stops.
>>> I tried safe mode and it stops there also.
>>> I can't get to system restore to return to a prior working state.
>>>
>>> I have the paid for XP Pro disk but can't seem to find a way to restore
>>> a working system.
>>>
>>> Please and thank you.
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>>
>>> -----------------------------------------------------
>>> Windows... Just say no!
>>> -----------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> Bill H. in Chicagoland
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 9:52:39 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"FireBrick" <w9ol.nospam@comcast.com> wrote in message
news:ete7MoKlFHA.3336@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> It stalls
> It says my version is newer than the version on the disk.
> Probably due to all the updates.
> It won't allow me to go any further.

If you have access to a friend's system - or a technician with facility to
do this (i.e. SP2 and a CD burner) download to their system the full SP2:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...

you're looking for this file:
WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe

then, follow the directions at this site (or others) to create a
slipstreamed CD:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slip...

Finally, be *sure* that you follow the directions carefully wrt extracting
the files to make the CD bootable. Test the CD before you head back to
your machine, to be sure that it DOES boot.

Once you've done this, you will be able to do a repair install with the
slipstreamed CD. Keep that CD with your original one.

HTH

-pk
>
> "Squire" <jerrym526@cableone.net> wrote in message
> news:uM7lNoJlFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Boot your XP CD and select install,
>>
>> Bypass Restore and go all the way through like a full install,
>> until you get past the EULA agreement,
>> Then select REPAIR,
>> this will take about an hour,
>> You will not lose any programs doing this,
>>
>> Good Luck,
>> Jerry
>> "FireBrick" <w9ol.nospam@comcast.com> wrote in message
>> news:o DVofdJlFHA.3312@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> My system won't boot.
>>> only goes so far and then it stops.
>>> I tried safe mode and it stops there also.
>>> I can't get to system restore to return to a prior working state.
>>>
>>> I have the paid for XP Pro disk but can't seem to find a way to restore
>>> a working system.
>>>
>>> Please and thank you.
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>>
>>> -----------------------------------------------------
>>> Windows... Just say no!
>>> -----------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> Bill H. in Chicagoland
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 10:55:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I guess I was tired last night. Please go here for AutoStreamer
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/1092632287/1.

Sorry!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner
"If you knew as much as you thought you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:uTFDHJLlFHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> You will have to do a restore using a copy of Windows XP Professional that
> has SP2 incorporated into the build.
>
> Go here and download AutoStreamer. This little program will walk you
> through the necessary steps to burn a new CD that has what you need - and
> then do it for you.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>
> "FireBrick" <w9ol.nospam@comcast.com> wrote in message
> news:ete7MoKlFHA.3336@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> It stalls
>> It says my version is newer than the version on the disk.
>> Probably due to all the updates.
>> It won't allow me to go any further.
>>
>>
>>
>> "Squire" <jerrym526@cableone.net> wrote in message
>> news:uM7lNoJlFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>> Boot your XP CD and select install,
>>>
>>> Bypass Restore and go all the way through like a full install,
>>> until you get past the EULA agreement,
>>> Then select REPAIR,
>>> this will take about an hour,
>>> You will not lose any programs doing this,
>>>
>>> Good Luck,
>>> Jerry
>>> "FireBrick" <w9ol.nospam@comcast.com> wrote in message
>>> news:o DVofdJlFHA.3312@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>>> My system won't boot.
>>>> only goes so far and then it stops.
>>>> I tried safe mode and it stops there also.
>>>> I can't get to system restore to return to a prior working state.
>>>>
>>>> I have the paid for XP Pro disk but can't seem to find a way to restore
>>>> a working system.
>>>>
>>>> Please and thank you.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> -----------------------------------------------------
>>>> Windows... Just say no!
>>>> -----------------------------------------------------
>>>>
>>>> Bill H. in Chicagoland
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 2:05:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

have you tried the F8-boot menu's "last good startup"?

"FireBrick" <w9ol.nospam@comcast.com> wrote in message
news:o DVofdJlFHA.3312@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> My system won't boot.
> only goes so far and then it stops.
> I tried safe mode and it stops there also.
> I can't get to system restore to return to a prior working state.
>
> I have the paid for XP Pro disk but can't seem to find a way to restore a
> working system.
>
> Please and thank you.
>
>
> --
>
>
> -----------------------------------------------------
> Windows... Just say no!
> -----------------------------------------------------
>
> Bill H. in Chicagoland
>
>
!