Can't Burn To CD-RW Disks

July 30, 2005 12:00:48 AM

My Write CD-RW drive will burn data files to CD-R disks but not to CD-RW
disks. Help, please and thank you.

--
Stephen Kroll

More about : burn disks

Anonymous
July 30, 2005 12:00:49 AM

How to ask a newsgroup question:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"Stephen Kroll" <stephen.kroll@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
| My Write CD-RW drive will burn data files to CD-R disks but not to CD-RW
| disks. Help, please and thank you.
|
| --
| Stephen Kroll

Anonymous
July 30, 2005 12:00:49 AM

If you are using the native Windows XP CD writing, it only does CDRs. You would have to
use third party CDR/CD-RW writing software. Which software to use is a matter of taste
and function. I, and many others, prefer Nero. For novices it has Nero SmartStart, which
a child can use (What do you want to do? Format disk, which you would do for a CD-RW).
Once you are at ease with that, you can use the other more advanced modules. Nero 6 Ultra
Edition has InCD, which allows for usage of CD-RWs like any other drive: format, drag and
drop, copy and paste, delete, etc.. Others will probably post with more suggestions for
CDR/CD-RW writing software...
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

"Stephen Kroll" <stephen.kroll@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> My Write CD-RW drive will burn data files to CD-R disks but not to CD-RW
> disks. Help, please and thank you.
>
> --
> Stephen Kroll

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 12:38:04 PM

Thank you. Nero it will be!.

"t.cruise" <t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If you are using the native Windows XP CD writing, it only does CDRs. You
> would have to
> use third party CDR/CD-RW writing software. Which software to use is a
> matter of taste
> and function. I, and many others, prefer Nero. For novices it has Nero
> SmartStart, which
> a child can use (What do you want to do? Format disk, which you would do
> for a CD-RW).
> Once you are at ease with that, you can use the other more advanced
> modules. Nero 6 Ultra
> Edition has InCD, which allows for usage of CD-RWs like any other drive:
> format, drag and
> drop, copy and paste, delete, etc.. Others will probably post with more
> suggestions for
> CDR/CD-RW writing software...
> --
>
> T.C.
> t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
> Remove [NoSpam] to reply
>

> "Stephen Kroll" <stephen.kroll@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> My Write CD-RW drive will burn data files to CD-R disks but not to CD-RW
>> disks. Help, please and thank you.
>>
>> --
>> Stephen Kroll

Anonymous
July 30, 2005 11:01:09 PM

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 14:24:10 -1000, "t.cruise"
<t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com> wrote:

>If you are using the native Windows XP CD writing, it only does CDRs. You would have to
>use third party CDR/CD-RW writing software. Which software to use is a matter of taste
>and function. I, and many others, prefer Nero. For novices it has Nero SmartStart, which
>a child can use (What do you want to do? Format disk, which you would do for a CD-RW).
>Once you are at ease with that, you can use the other more advanced modules. Nero 6 Ultra
>Edition has InCD, which allows for usage of CD-RWs like any other drive: format, drag and
>drop, copy and paste, delete, etc.. Others will probably post with more suggestions for
>CDR/CD-RW writing software...

You couldn't be more wrong.

XP will handle writing to CDRW discs just fine, but it treats them
just as if they were CDR discs. The huge difference is that you can
erase the CDRW. Note I mentioned you can erase the CDRW - but you
have to erase the entire thing, NOT selected individual files.
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 11:01:10 PM

"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
news:o i1oe1p7uajps17k8ae9ddjfmtp2k5uqin@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 14:24:10 -1000, "t.cruise"
> <t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >If you are using the native Windows XP CD writing, it only does CDRs. You would have
> >use third party CDR/CD-RW writing software. Which software to use is a matter of taste
> >and function. I, and many others, prefer Nero. For novices it has Nero SmartStart,
which
> >a child can use (What do you want to do? Format disk, which you would do for a CD-RW).
> >Once you are at ease with that, you can use the other more advanced modules. Nero 6
Ultra
> >Edition has InCD, which allows for usage of CD-RWs like any other drive: format, drag
and
> >drop, copy and paste, delete, etc.. Others will probably post with more suggestions
for
> >CDR/CD-RW writing software...
>
> You couldn't be more wrong.
>
> XP will handle writing to CDRW discs just fine, but it treats them
> just as if they were CDR discs. The huge difference is that you can
> erase the CDRW. Note I mentioned you can erase the CDRW - but you
> have to erase the entire thing, NOT selected individual files.

For me, the main reason for using a CD-RW is to be able to add AND DELETE files on a CD-RW
disk on the fly. If the native Windows XP burning cannot do that, it is useless to me and
most other people who use CD-RWs. If the native Windows XP burning module treats CD-RWs,
in your words "as if they were CDR discs," what is the point of using a CD-RW, saving 40
cents because you can format and reuse a disk? Aside from that, the queuing step before
burning is a pain. With Nero's InCD running at startup, I can just select the files and
copy and paste them, or just drag and drop them to the CD-RW, and they are immediately
burned, as if I were copying to another hard drive. And, I can create folders on the fly
to drag the files into, and rename the files and folders, AND DELETE those files and/or
folders for easy file management on the CD-RW. Granted, that for permanent storage CDR is
preferable. But, for certain things that I do, being able to quickly add AND DELETE files
or folders on a CD-RW on the fly is invaluable. The native Windows XP burning module
cannot do that.
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

I have discovered that the native Windows XP CD-writing program WILL burn
CD-RWs. On my girlfriend's machine, not on mine. The third-party programs
whose trial versions I have downloaded haven't solved the problem--even when
I make sure they are not using the native burn program. One clunky solution
we devised uses our network to transfer files from my machine to hers for
burning. Still, I am baffled why my native program won't burn both types of
disk.

Thanks for the ideas, though.

"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
news:o i1oe1p7uajps17k8ae9ddjfmtp2k5uqin@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 14:24:10 -1000, "t.cruise"
> <t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>If you are using the native Windows XP CD writing, it only does CDRs. You
>>would have to
>>use third party CDR/CD-RW writing software. Which software to use is a
>>matter of taste
>>and function. I, and many others, prefer Nero. For novices it has Nero
>>SmartStart, which
>>a child can use (What do you want to do? Format disk, which you would do
>>for a CD-RW).
>>Once you are at ease with that, you can use the other more advanced
>>modules. Nero 6 Ultra
>>Edition has InCD, which allows for usage of CD-RWs like any other drive:
>>format, drag and
>>drop, copy and paste, delete, etc.. Others will probably post with more
>>suggestions for
>>CDR/CD-RW writing software...
>
> You couldn't be more wrong.
>
> XP will handle writing to CDRW discs just fine, but it treats them
> just as if they were CDR discs. The huge difference is that you can
> erase the CDRW. Note I mentioned you can erase the CDRW - but you
> have to erase the entire thing, NOT selected individual files.

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 11:46:06 PM

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 18:58:46 -1000, "t.cruise"
<t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com> wrote:

>"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
>news:o i1oe1p7uajps17k8ae9ddjfmtp2k5uqin@4ax.com...
>> On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 14:24:10 -1000, "t.cruise"
>> <t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >If you are using the native Windows XP CD writing, it only does CDRs. You would have
>> >use third party CDR/CD-RW writing software. Which software to use is a matter of taste
>> >and function. I, and many others, prefer Nero. For novices it has Nero SmartStart,
>which
>> >a child can use (What do you want to do? Format disk, which you would do for a CD-RW).
>> >Once you are at ease with that, you can use the other more advanced modules. Nero 6
>Ultra
>> >Edition has InCD, which allows for usage of CD-RWs like any other drive: format, drag
>and
>> >drop, copy and paste, delete, etc.. Others will probably post with more suggestions
>for
>> >CDR/CD-RW writing software...
>>
>> You couldn't be more wrong.
>>
>> XP will handle writing to CDRW discs just fine, but it treats them
>> just as if they were CDR discs. The huge difference is that you can
>> erase the CDRW. Note I mentioned you can erase the CDRW - but you
>> have to erase the entire thing, NOT selected individual files.
>
>For me, the main reason for using a CD-RW is to be able to add AND DELETE files on a CD-RW
>disk on the fly. If the native Windows XP burning cannot do that, it is useless to me and
>most other people who use CD-RWs. If the native Windows XP burning module treats CD-RWs,
>in your words "as if they were CDR discs," what is the point of using a CD-RW, saving 40
>cents because you can format and reuse a disk? Aside from that, the queuing step before
>burning is a pain. With Nero's InCD running at startup, I can just select the files and
>copy and paste them, or just drag and drop them to the CD-RW, and they are immediately
>burned, as if I were copying to another hard drive. And, I can create folders on the fly
>to drag the files into, and rename the files and folders, AND DELETE those files and/or
>folders for easy file management on the CD-RW. Granted, that for permanent storage CDR is
>preferable. But, for certain things that I do, being able to quickly add AND DELETE files
>or folders on a CD-RW on the fly is invaluable. The native Windows XP burning module
>cannot do that.

I never said, in any way, shape or from that XP can add and delete
files from a CDRW "on the fly." I just pointed out that you were
WRONG in your statement that XP only writes to CDRs and that you HAVE
TO USE third party software to write to CDRWs. Defend yourself all
you want, but you were WRONG.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 2:58:01 PM

Gentlemen, please! As the person whose initial query about this problem
launched your argument, let me bring you up to date on my recent
experiences. Yes,
I have found, the native Windows XP burn program WILL copy to a CD-RW--but,
in my case, not to EVERY CD-RW and not to CD-RWs that have been erased. Why
this is the case, I, of course, have no idea. I simply slip in a new Memorex
and cross my fingers.

> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 18:58:46 -1000, "t.cruise"
> <t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
>>news:o i1oe1p7uajps17k8ae9ddjfmtp2k5uqin@4ax.com...

>>which
>>Ultra
>>and
>>for
>>>
>>> You couldn't be more wrong.
>>>
>>> XP will handle writing to CDRW discs just fine, but it treats them
>>> just as if they were CDR discs. The huge difference is that you can
>>> erase the CDRW. Note I mentioned you can erase the CDRW - but you
>>> have to erase the entire thing, NOT selected individual files.
>>
>>For me, the main reason for using a CD-RW is to be able to add AND DELETE
>>files on a CD-RW
>>disk on the fly. If the native Windows XP burning cannot do that, it is
>>useless to me and
>>most other people who use CD-RWs. If the native Windows XP burning module
>>treats CD-RWs,
>>in your words "as if they were CDR discs," what is the point of using a
>>CD-RW, saving 40
>>cents because you can format and reuse a disk? Aside from that, the
>>queuing step before
>>burning is a pain. With Nero's InCD running at startup, I can just select
>>the files and
>>copy and paste them, or just drag and drop them to the CD-RW, and they are
>>immediately
>>burned, as if I were copying to another hard drive. And, I can create
>>folders on the fly
>>to drag the files into, and rename the files and folders, AND DELETE those
>>files and/or
>>folders for easy file management on the CD-RW. Granted, that for
>>permanent storage CDR is
>>preferable. But, for certain things that I do, being able to quickly add
>>AND DELETE files
>>or folders on a CD-RW on the fly is invaluable. The native Windows XP
>>burning module
>>cannot do that.
>
> I never said, in any way, shape or from that XP can add and delete
> files from a CDRW "on the fly." I just pointed out that you were
> WRONG in your statement that XP only writes to CDRs and that you HAVE
> TO USE third party software to write to CDRWs. Defend yourself all
> you want, but you were WRONG.

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 2:04:30 AM

No it doesn't!? It can do CD-RW's as well.

Windows XP burning routine doesn't burn DVD-Rs, but does burn CD-RW's.

!