Text too small on 16:9 monitor. Can I improve it?

ignoramouse

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
I am looking at my new Benq E2200HD monitor and feeling a bit sick. Up 'til now I have used a 4:3 monitor and thought it was time to upgrade my system, but the text is so small on the new beast!
I have set the resolution to 1920x1080, and in order to try to get a bigger text I have set the dpi to 120. I find that this enlarges the Windows text and icons but does not seem to have any effect on the size of the text displayed on the internet, nor on the text and symbols within programs like Photoshop.
Are there things I can do to improve this, or have I just made a bad mistake buying a widescreen monitor? I guess my eysight is not what it was....

In FireFox (and Internet Explorer), go to the Main Menu, in View you should see Zoom which will allow you to increase / decrease text size.

Or you can press the two key combos [Ctrl] and [+] to increase or [Ctr] and [-] to decrease.

The other option is to use lower resolution.

ignoramouse

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Thanks. That's great. The interface of some software - Dreamweaver and Photoshop for example, of course remain very small, and there seems to be no solution to that.

aeroknight

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
change the resolution to 1280 x 720 or any lower resolution in the ratio 16:9 e.g. 1360 x 768 or 960 x 540. yes you will lose some details but it will hardly be noticable for everyday tasks and everything will be bigger on the screen.