What do Optiplexes and "managed" PCs afford?

Im thinking of opening up a small business. A VERY small business.
Maybe a two man operation.

Im trying to learn abt "managed" PCs such as the Optiplex line.... and
why they are good for business. What they can do, etc.

Advice on managed PCs? What are they basically?

Eugene

me6@privacy.net wrote:

> Im thinking of opening up a small business. A VERY small business.
> Maybe a two man operation.
>
> Im trying to learn abt "managed" PCs such as the Optiplex line.... and
> why they are good for business. What they can do, etc.
>
> Advice on managed PCs? What are they basically?
Typically better components (read up on MTBF). Better warranty, usually
onsite instead of send it back in a box.

Eugene wrote:
> me6@privacy.net wrote:
>

>>Im thinking of opening up a small business. A VERY small business.
>>Maybe a two man operation.
>>
>>Im trying to learn abt "managed" PCs such as the Optiplex line.... and
>>why they are good for business. What they can do, etc.
>>
>>Advice on managed PCs? What are they basically?
>
> Typically better components (read up on MTBF). Better warranty, usually
> onsite instead of send it back in a box.

No question from my observation (I have several Dimensions and one
Optiplex) that the Optiplex has better build quality. Also seems
quieter. A "managed" PC is one that is designed for easy IT support. For
instance a common disk image can be installed on all systems. Systems
can be maintained remotely. Features like Wake-on-Lan and sleep mode for
Energy-Star certification are guarenteed to work. The platform is kept
stable over long periods so they won't be as state of the art, but
allows for easier maintenance as the number of different components
across a large installed base will be minimized.

If you buy an Optiplex, the technical support will be US based. Higher
level support options are available (at additional cost, of course).

> A "managed" PC is one that is designed for easy IT support. For
>instance a common disk image can be installed on all systems. Systems
>can be maintained remotely.

OK

I guess this is what Im asking..... what "administrative" things can
be done with the software that is on an Optiplex unit?

can I remotely install patches to other workstations? Can I take an
"audit" of what software and stuff is installed on each Optiplex? etc

Eugene

me6@privacy.net wrote:

>> A "managed" PC is one that is designed for easy IT support. For
>>instance a common disk image can be installed on all systems. Systems
>>can be maintained remotely.
>
> OK
>
> I guess this is what Im asking..... what "administrative" things can
> be done with the software that is on an Optiplex unit?
>
> can I remotely install patches to other workstations? Can I take an
> "audit" of what software and stuff is installed on each Optiplex? etc

Yes, I didn't mention a few things. Usually the managed have the smart hard
drive and the ability to send an snmp trap from the smart monitoring also
the ability to read things like the model and serial number remotly through
snmp as well.

>> can I remotely install patches to other workstations? Can I take an
>> "audit" of what software and stuff is installed on each Optiplex? etc
>
>Yes, I didn't mention a few things. Usually the managed have the smart hard
>drive and the ability to send an snmp trap from the smart monitoring also
>the ability to read things like the model and serial number remotly through
>snmp as well.

OK

So given the above info.... would Optiplex's be a good choice for a
small two man business? Or is it overkill?

Also..... supposing you wanted one PC to be a graphics workstation
such as a Precision..... say for CAd use. Can I get a Precision that
has "management" features like the Optiplex's? If not....can I ad it
ON to a Precision? Is it just a matter of adding software to get
these management features on a Precision? Or is it special hardware
as well?

>Optiplex would be a good choice for a lot of reasons, but in a two computer
>operation, it doesn't sound like it's a significant issue....

OK.... point taken

But let me ask you all this...... is there 3rd part administrative
software available that will make any two computers.... even diff
brand computers...... "manageable" like the Optiplexes are?

In article <3830705n3i0tsjnqcfngadfe13h7bie95h@4ax.com>, me6@privacy.net wrote:
>>Optiplex would be a good choice for a lot of reasons, but in a two computer
>>operation, it doesn't sound like it's a significant issue....
>
>OK.... point taken
>
>But let me ask you all this...... is there 3rd part administrative
>software available that will make any two computers.... even diff
>brand computers...... "manageable" like the Optiplexes are?

It's been my understanding that a [large?] part of "manageability" in
the Optiplex line is greater standardisation and longevity of
components used in the beasts. (By "longevity" in this context, I'm
referring to the duration of a particular brand/model used in an
Optiplex line.)

For corporations with many PCs, this sort of thing greatly simplifies
in-house support by standardising expected faults. :)

Cheers, Phred.

--
ppnerkDELETE@THISyahoo.com.INVALID