Can't connect with MN-720 and XP

I've tried everything I can think of and can't get the MN-
720 card to work on a Compaq laptop running windows XP.
It will show available networks, I click "connect" and it
won't connect. One network is open with no security; I
can see it but I can't connect. One network is on the
base station for the MN-820 kit with WEP enabled and a
128-bit key; I can see it but I can't connect.

I have no problems connecting to the same networks with a
Belkin Wireless USB Adapter. But lugging around an
adapter sort of defeats the purpose.

I've now upgraded to XP Pro; same problems both before
and after the upgrade.

I've tried restarting the Wireless Zero Config service. I
have all available service packs and windows updates. My
PCI slot works fine with a firewire card, so it's not the
hardware. The card gets power: the power light is on. The
wireless light just blinks. The card works on a machine
running Windows 2000, which makes me think there's to be
something in the XP settings causing a conflict?

I've wasted hours on this now; please help.

steven

PLS check the ip address of the wireless connection
it might show 169.254.x.x
if so then try to release and renew the ip address
it will show dhcp request timed out or winsock error
if it show dhcp req.... then check for wireless
interference
if it show winsock error then tcp/ip stack of the
wireless connection may be corrupted

if it show media disconnected uninstall it from device
manager and reinstall it back

There is no connection, so there is no IP address
assigned for the wireless connection on the MN-720 card.

The IP address on the base station is not 169.254.x.x,
but I released and renewed it anyway.

What will show dhcp request timed out or winsock error?
Do you mean on the laptop logs or a base station log? I'm
not sure where I would look on the laptop for a
connection error log? Nothing appears in the base
station logs because the card is not connecting.

There is no interference. The laptop is 15 feet from the
base station. A USB wireless adaptor connects just fine
from the same spot.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the card several times
over the past two weeks; did it again today. It appears
to have no problems. I've done the same with its driver.

What would I do if the "tcp/ip stack" was corrupted?

Is there anything else I can try? Everything can connect
to the network except for this MN-720 card on Windows XP
and I followed out of the box instructions precisely.

Thanks so much.

Oh, I found the ipconfig part in another post.

From the command prompt on the laptop after typing
ipconfig:
- The connection shows as disconnected.
- For some reason there is a "tunnel adapter pseudo
interface" listing, though I'm not using any tunneling.
- If I type ipconfig /release or ipconfig /renew I get:
"No operation can be performed... while it has its media
disconnected."

Uninstalling and reinstalling the card from the Device
Manager does not change the disconnection message.

Thanks.

The wireless blinks while the card is pooling wireless
networks to connect -- normal behavior -- that's you why
ipconfig shows disconnected.

Since the USB connection works, compare the settings for
TCP/IP connection using the USB adapter and the 720 card.

For the 720 make sure you enter the SSID and channel that
match the router settings. Check Windows Zero
Configuration, and uncheck ieee 802.1x. Sometimes it helps
assigning a static IP to the 720 (192.168.2.2, mask
255.255.255.0, DNS/gateway 192.168.2.1)

Make sure you don't have MAC filtering enabled on the router.

You also mentioned you got an IP other than 169.x.x.x. What
that IP looked like?

I would also track or disable the "tunnel adapter pseudo
interface" -- looks like a VPN to me. If you need it, on
which subnet does it work? Try running route or netstat -r.

steven

media disconnected means it's not connecting the desired
network as we want
here is one question r u able to see wireless network name
if not then try with diff. wireless channel number