[40K] Q - Spore Mines

Folks,

How goes, hopefully everyone is enjoying the new Nid codex,
unfortunately I have a big hang up on the new rules for spore mines.

My questions are:

1) If I were to launch 4 spore mines from 2 biovores, do they stay in
base to base contact and move via scatter dice in the next turn or do
they do the scatter independently?

2) Now what if you had the two biovores in the previous question
launching two different type of mines what happens next...

The way my friends and I play are the mines after launch are together in
a cluster, however at the next move phase they are treated
independently, however if one goes off they all go off...

Thanks for any feedback you guys/gals can provide....

S.Man

In article <9yJse.12165$Qr3.1290375@news20.bellglobal.com>, Sdinayrt,
anospam@somewhereinthe.world Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> Folks,
>
> How goes, hopefully everyone is enjoying the new Nid codex,
> unfortunately I have a big hang up on the new rules for spore mines.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1) If I were to launch 4 spore mines from 2 biovores, do they stay in
> base to base contact and move via scatter dice in the next turn or do
> they do the scatter independently?

A. You can't launch 4 spore mines from 2 biovores in a single turn.

B. You *CAN* launch 2 spore mines from a pair of biovores, or 3 from a
trio of them. Once the spores land, they'll be in base to base and
*STAY* in base to base as they drift during the following turns. The
rules state that they remain as a single group (page 29 of the new Nid
codex - movement section). Why? Look at the 'multiple barrage' picture
on page 32 of the core rules. The spore mines now work just like an IG
mortar barrage. The templates will end up touching each other at the
edges just like the picture in the core book. Which doesn't really work
if the spores drift independently of each other. The other problem with
the 'independently drifting mines' deal is that it'd be a serious pain /
cumbersome to keep track of which mines belonged to which broods about
the time there were 3, 4, or more broods of mines on the table at the
same time. The 'cluster' rules avoids a whole host of problems. (It
just isn't as much fun for the Nids players either. :~/ )

> 2) Now what if you had the two biovores in the previous question
> launching two different type of mines what happens next...

Answer - it isn't going to happen. (At least not if you're playing by
the letter of the rules.) You can only take a single slot of Biovores
in a single force org chart which means you'll now have a single unit of
1 to 3 biovores. Page 45 of the Nid codex -

"All biovores in a single brood must choose the same *kind* (singular)
of Spore Mine. A Biovore carries enough spore mines of the *type*
(singular) chosen to last the battle."

In other words, you get one unit of Biovores, with one and only one type
of spore mine available for the whole unit.

> The way my friends and I play are the mines after launch are together in
> a cluster, however at the next move phase they are treated
> independently, however if one goes off they all go off...

This is perfectly alright as long as it's agreeable to all the gamers
involved. It just isn't the way the Nid codex indicates that spore
mines are supposed to work. Personally I was bummed to discover that
the Nids can't take more than one type of spore mine in a biovore unit
like they could in 3rd Edition. It vastly limits their flexibility on
the battle field. About the only way I see to get around the single type
limit is to give a Carnifex the spore cysts (toxin spore mines) bio-
morph, and then take Biovores with a different type of spore mine, or
choose the spore mine cluster fast attack slot option and take clusters
of kinds other than what your biovores already have.

Hope that helps,

Myrmidon

--
Oh. :-( I was hoping it *was* a sign - I have it on good authority that
the Wood Elf army book will be released six months after the Apocalypse.

--Philip Bowles

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...