Do I need an AMP for a Sennheiser Hd600

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunburn74

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Hi. I have an opportunity to buy a sennheiser hd600 for a good price. However, I keep reading online stuff about having an AMP. I plan on using the HD600 with my desktop speaker system (there's a 3.5mm jack). I currently have the HD515 and it works pretty well (the bass is very muddy though).

Anyway can someone tell me two things: in laymen's terms, what does an AMP bring to the table? And do I need one for use with a desktop? Thanks

TheViper

Distinguished
That's hard to say as different PC audio systems give different power levels to the headphone ports. Some are connected directly to the front surround speaker instead of the PC itself.

You'd need to know how much power is dedicated to the headphone jacks. Not something often provided with the PC specs.

I will say that it is likely the power level will be much higher than that of portable devices (iPods, portable CD players, etc...) and that an amp may not be necessary.

My advice is to go ahead and get them. And if the sound seems week, build that cheap amp for $20.

Status
Not open for further replies.