"splitting" RAID?

beth

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2004
Hello all, :)

I just know the basics of RAID; I was wondering if it were possible to set-up RAID on 2 hard disks, but instead of these disks being on the same computer, these disks are on separate computers.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
What would the purpose of doing that be?

It may be possible, depending on the purpose, though I don't understand why someone would want to.

Hmmm, further thought: If you're thinking of a RAID1 (Mirror), I can see a method to do that, but I doubt it will work the way you are hoping.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

G

With clustered server's its probably possible.

But many RAID mode will be useless. Take raid0, yous etup raid0 to have a better performance, that will be totally lost and even worsened if it has to go over the network.

For RAID-1 you just have to do backups =)
Overall IMO it would'nt really be usefull.

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

beth

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2004
I'm worried my hard disk is gonna croak soon; can't really afford to buy a new one, but my sister was gracious enough to lend me some of her disk space. Though it gets tiresome to constantly manually save files to the other pc. I'm just lazy I guess =P