Read if you have Wga problems with legal Preinstalled syst..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,alt.os.windows-xp (More info?)

Read if you have Wga problems with legal Preinstalled system.

Sorry for the multiple post.

Don’t not do this in safe mode!
Make sure you do this from an administrator account

Connect to the internet
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.

In the left pane, locate and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current
Version\WPAEvents
In the right pane, right-click OOBETimer, and then click Modify.
Change at least one digit of this value to deactivate Windows.
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the run box, type the following command, and then click OK.

%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to
activate Windows, and then click Next.

Click Change Product key to key on your machine.

Type the new product key in the New key boxes, and then click Update.

If you are returned to the previous window, click Remind me later
DON’T reboot.

In the run box, type the following command, and then click OK.

%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

Chose internet than activate. You will need to allow connection from
your firewall.

In the run box, type the following command

%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

And you will see this message.

Windows is already activated. Click OK to exit.

reboot

You should then be able to validate windows. I tested this on w2040
emachine and it worked.

Greg R
15 answers Last reply
More about read problems legal preinstalled syst
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,alt.os.windows-xp (More info?)

    Greg Ro wrote:
    > Read if you have Wga problems with legal Preinstalled system.
    >
    > Sorry for the multiple post.
    >
    > Don't not do this in safe mode!
    > Make sure you do this from an administrator account
    >
    > Connect to the internet
    > Click Start, and then click Run.
    > In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    >
    > In the left pane, locate and then click the following registry key:
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current
    > Version\WPAEvents
    > In the right pane, right-click OOBETimer, and then click Modify.
    > Change at least one digit of this value to deactivate Windows.
    > Click Start, and then click Run.
    > In the run box, type the following command, and then click OK.
    >
    > %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a
    >
    > Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to
    > activate Windows, and then click Next.
    >
    > Click Change Product key to key on your machine.
    >
    > Type the new product key in the New key boxes, and then click Update.
    >
    > If you are returned to the previous window, click Remind me later
    > DON'T reboot.
    >
    > In the run box, type the following command, and then click OK.
    >
    > %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a
    >
    > Chose internet than activate. You will need to allow connection from
    > your firewall.
    >
    > In the run box, type the following command
    >
    > %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a
    >
    > And you will see this message.
    >
    > Windows is already activated. Click OK to exit.
    >
    > reboot
    >

    > You should then be able to validate windows. I tested this on w2040
    > emachine and it worked.
    >
    > Greg R

    Hmm. I seem to remeber that MS disabled Major OEM Product Keys from
    being activated of the internet!

    http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_Closes_Activation_Loophole/1109293194

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,alt.os.windows-xp (More info?)

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 11:38:35 +0200, fermu
    <fmrioperez@BORRAME.terra.es> wrote:

    >Greg Ro wrote:
    >> Read if you have Wga problems with legal Preinstalled system.
    >

    >**/How to change the Volume Licensing product key on a Windows XP
    >SP1-based computer
    >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=328874#3

    That what I based it on. However, if you reboot according to those
    instructions, you won't be able to activate it.

    My instruction show changing a legal volume license key to a legal oem
    key.

    Another note, keys do get messed up during install. So, if you have
    a problem with wga and you legally installed windows and it was
    activated. Then follow my key instructions except use the key you
    installed xp with or the key that was provide by microsoft if you had
    to call in to activate due to hardware changes.

    Greg Ro
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,alt.os.windows-xp (More info?)

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 09:39:56 -0400, "kurttrail"
    <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:

    >Hmm. I seem to remeber that MS disabled Major OEM Product Keys from
    >being activated of the internet!

    Yes Kurt you are correct in part.
    I think that only with windows xp first release. You can still call in
    and get a new key after some hassle with Microsoft.

    The preinstall system use a hidden key given to them by Microsoft.
    That key won't activate becuase it a volume license key. No need for
    activation. However, wga is causing some problem with this as I have
    read in newsgroups. The key on your machine should work and should
    be able to be activated except maybe for the first release of Windows
    xp.

    I have also read. People are having problems now with wga for legally
    installed products. So the key fix should work for them as well.
    But either use the key you installed xp with or the key microsoft
    gave you for any hardware changes you might have done.

    If you got the key from Microsoft use that key.

    Greg Ro
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,alt.os.windows-xp (More info?)

    Greg Ro wrote:
    > On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 09:39:56 -0400, "kurttrail"
    > <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:
    >
    >> Hmm. I seem to remeber that MS disabled Major OEM Product Keys from
    >> being activated of the internet!
    >

    > Yes Kurt you are correct in part.
    > I think that only with windows xp first release. You can still call in
    > and get a new key after some hassle with Microsoft.
    >
    > The preinstall system use a hidden key given to them by Microsoft.
    > That key won't activate becuase it a volume license key. No need for
    > activation. However, wga is causing some problem with this as I have
    > read in newsgroups. The key on your machine should work and should
    > be able to be activated except maybe for the first release of Windows
    > xp.
    >
    > I have also read. People are having problems now with wga for legally
    > installed products. So the key fix should work for them as well.
    > But either use the key you installed xp with or the key microsoft
    > gave you for any hardware changes you might have done.
    >
    > If you got the key from Microsoft use that key.
    >
    > Greg Ro

    You shouldn't go messing around changing keys, especially if you have XP
    pre-installed by a major OEM, without finding out what they think about
    it.

    The hassle, the likelihood of having problems, and the risk involved in
    not getting phone activated by MS is not to be taken lightly.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,alt.os.windows-xp (More info?)

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 15:01:22 -0400, "kurttrail"
    <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:

    >Greg Ro wrote:
    >> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 09:39:56 -0400, "kurttrail"
    >> <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hmm. I seem to remeber that MS disabled Major OEM Product Keys from
    >>> being activated of the internet!
    >>

    >> Yes Kurt you are correct in part.
    >> I think that only with windows xp first release. You can still call in
    >> and get a new key after some hassle with Microsoft.
    >>
    >> The preinstall system use a hidden key given to them by Microsoft.
    >> That key won't activate becuase it a volume license key. No need for
    >> activation. However, wga is causing some problem with this as I have
    >> read in newsgroups. The key on your machine should work and should
    >> be able to be activated except maybe for the first release of Windows
    >> xp.
    >>
    >> I have also read. People are having problems now with wga for legally
    >> installed products. So the key fix should work for them as well.
    >> But either use the key you installed xp with or the key microsoft
    >> gave you for any hardware changes you might have done.
    >>
    >> If you got the key from Microsoft use that key.
    >>
    >> Greg Ro
    >
    >You shouldn't go messing around changing keys, especially if you have XP
    >pre-installed by a major OEM, without finding out what they think about
    >it.
    >
    >The hassle, the likelihood of having problems, and the risk involved in
    >not getting phone activated by MS is not to be taken lightly.

    Kurt what the difference in using the key on the back of your machine
    for reinstalling the operating system than using it for changing the
    key? I see no difference. Except you have to activate it immediately
    because it becomes on oem installation for those computers that have
    been preinstalled.

    They key on the machine is allowed to be used by me unless I sell the
    computer.

    Who cares what the oem company thinks especially if it is out of
    warranty. It is my machine not emachine, not microsoft.

    Do you have a better idea for people have that have problem getting
    wga validation that have legal installed operating system--So, they
    can still use windows update?

    Greg Ro
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,alt.os.windows-xp (More info?)

    Greg Ro wrote:
    > On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 15:01:22 -0400, "kurttrail"
    > <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:
    >
    >> Greg Ro wrote:

    >>> Yes Kurt you are correct in part.
    >>> I think that only with windows xp first release. You can still call
    >>> in and get a new key after some hassle with Microsoft.
    >>>
    >>> The preinstall system use a hidden key given to them by Microsoft.
    >>> That key won't activate becuase it a volume license key. No need
    >>> for activation. However, wga is causing some problem with this as
    >>> I have read in newsgroups. The key on your machine should work
    >>> and should be able to be activated except maybe for the first
    >>> release of Windows xp.
    >>>
    >>> I have also read. People are having problems now with wga for
    >>> legally installed products. So the key fix should work for them
    >>> as well. But either use the key you installed xp with or the key
    >>> microsoft gave you for any hardware changes you might have done.
    >>>
    >>> If you got the key from Microsoft use that key.
    >>>
    >>> Greg Ro
    >>
    >> You shouldn't go messing around changing keys, especially if you
    >> have XP pre-installed by a major OEM, without finding out what they
    >> think about it.
    >>
    >> The hassle, the likelihood of having problems, and the risk involved
    >> in not getting phone activated by MS is not to be taken lightly.
    >
    > Kurt what the difference in using the key on the back of your machine
    > for reinstalling the operating system than using it for changing the
    > key? I see no difference. Except you have to activate it immediately
    > because it becomes on oem installation for those computers that have
    > been preinstalled.

    Well with major OEM installs, you not suppose to have to activate.
    F*#king around with changing PK's is just asking for worse problems than
    WGA.

    > They key on the machine is allowed to be used by me unless I sell the
    > computer.
    >
    > Who cares what the oem company thinks especially if it is out of
    > warranty. It is my machine not emachine, not microsoft.

    Well, if you own a emachine that says alot.

    > Do you have a better idea for people have that have problem getting
    > wga validation that have legal installed operating system--So, they
    > can still use windows update?

    Yeah, don't use it. Without WGA, Windows Update added an extra layer of
    code that could go wrong with the patching process. With WGA, it added
    yet another layer of BS on top of that!

    People need to learn to cut up that BS code between them and installing
    security updates.

    http://microscum.com/comsense

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    (No need to keep multi-posting)

    I do agree the wga is becoming a major pain as there is a lot of
    problems reported.

    I never said emachine was a problem. I just tested it on an emachine
    and it worked. I have a ghost image backup. I usually always test
    stuff out before giving advice if applicable. I think this sound
    advice. Microsoft may even give the same advice I am giving.
    Business that do not have volume or corporate license have already
    reported trouble getting update because wga didn't Validate, Some
    with volume licenses are having trouble and the javascript bypass code
    no longer works.

    Greg Ro
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    > You should then be able to validate windows. I tested this on w2040
    > emachine and it worked.
    >
    > Greg R

    I do have WGA problems with a legal preinstalled system, but am leery of
    trying undocumented advice. Is this a MS recommended fix?
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 13:41:28 -0700, "Steve P"
    <perilmung@spamnet.consumer> wrote:

    >> You should then be able to validate windows. I tested this on w2040
    >> emachine and it worked.
    >>
    >> Greg R
    >>

    >I do have WGA problems with a legal preinstalled system, but am leery of
    >trying undocumented advice. Is this a MS recommended fix?

    They have not came out without any official statements. I don't know
    if Microsoft is aware of the wga problems. They may be working on a
    fix. If nothing happens after a week. Then I would write or call
    Microsoft local office and ask them when are they going to fix wga
    problem? These are just temporary workaround I mentioned that may
    or may not work. In the meantime you could also use
    http://help.bixfix.com until Microsoft fixes the problem. They
    provide them with direct links to updates. Should get most updates.
    I bet bigfix will eventually require wga for windows xp unless
    Microsoft scraps the wga idea.

    Greg R
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Greg Ro wrote:

    > They have not came out without any official statements. I don't know
    > if Microsoft is aware of the wga problems. They may be working on a
    > fix. If nothing happens after a week. Then I would write or call
    > Microsoft local office and ask them when are they going to fix wga
    > problem? These are just temporary workaround I mentioned that may
    > or may not work. In the meantime you could also use
    > http://help.bixfix.com until Microsoft fixes the problem. They
    > provide them with direct links to updates. Should get most updates.
    > I bet bigfix will eventually require wga for windows xp unless
    > Microsoft scraps the wga idea.

    MS knows about the problems and they don't give a rat's ass about them.

    I'd be willing to bet that they are harder at work closing all the
    loopholes in WGA, than fixing the different reasons that people are
    wrongly denied validation.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 19:45:37 -0400, "kurttrail"
    <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:

    >Greg Ro wrote:
    >
    >> They have not came out without any official statements. I don't know
    >> if Microsoft is aware of the wga problems. They may be working on a
    >> fix. If nothing happens after a week. Then I would write or call
    >> Microsoft local office and ask them when are they going to fix wga
    >> problem? These are just temporary workaround I mentioned that may
    >> or may not work. In the meantime you could also use
    >> http://help.bixfix.com until Microsoft fixes the problem. They
    >> provide them with direct links to updates. Should get most updates.
    >> I bet bigfix will eventually require wga for windows xp unless
    >> Microsoft scraps the wga idea.
    >
    >MS knows about the problems and they don't give a rat's BEEP about them.
    >
    >I'd be willing to bet that they are harder at work closing all the
    >loopholes in WGA, than fixing the different reasons that people are
    >wrongly denied validation.

    I think Microsoft,bigfix, and oem companies have a contract with each
    other to provide direct downloads for bigfix customers. Bigfix has
    been preinstalled in lots of computers and has been around for years.
    That why I mentioned it.

    They better fix the problem if they don't want a class action lawsuit
    or several small claim court actions. I am pretty sure Microsoft is
    not that dumb to tick off legit paying customer. If they really can't
    fix it. I am sure Microsoft will dump it. You do got to get them
    time to fix stuff Kurt.

    There are other workarounds out there but I can't mention them here.
    They would not call it a workaround. Bigfix is different and is
    legal.

    Greg Ro
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Greg Ro wrote:
    > On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 19:45:37 -0400, "kurttrail"
    > <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:
    >
    >> Greg Ro wrote:
    >>
    >>> They have not came out without any official statements. I don't
    >>> know if Microsoft is aware of the wga problems. They may be
    >>> working on a fix. If nothing happens after a week. Then I would
    >>> write or call Microsoft local office and ask them when are they
    >>> going to fix wga problem? These are just temporary workaround I
    >>> mentioned that may or may not work. In the meantime you could
    >>> also use http://help.bixfix.com until Microsoft fixes the
    >>> problem. They provide them with direct links to updates. Should
    >>> get most updates. I bet bigfix will eventually require wga for
    >>> windows xp unless Microsoft scraps the wga idea.
    >>
    >> MS knows about the problems and they don't give a rat's BEEP about
    >> them.
    >>
    >> I'd be willing to bet that they are harder at work closing all the
    >> loopholes in WGA, than fixing the different reasons that people are
    >> wrongly denied validation.
    >
    > I think Microsoft,bigfix, and oem companies have a contract with each
    > other to provide direct downloads for bigfix customers. Bigfix has
    > been preinstalled in lots of computers and has been around for years.
    > That why I mentioned it.
    >
    > They better fix the problem if they don't want a class action lawsuit
    > or several small claim court actions. I am pretty sure Microsoft is
    > not that dumb to tick off legit paying customer. If they really can't
    > fix it. I am sure Microsoft will dump it. You do got to get them
    > time to fix stuff Kurt.
    >
    > There are other workarounds out there but I can't mention them here.
    > They would not call it a workaround. Bigfix is different and is
    > legal.
    >

    > Greg Ro

    Give them time to fix what will never do me any good? Why the F*#K
    would I want WGA in the first place working or not?

    Since WGA does absolutely NOTHING for me, MS should have made GOD DAMNED
    sure that it was working BEFORE it was made mandatory!

    Give them time to fix it! ROFL! Wait for Big Brother to fix his
    chains!

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 01:05:23 -0400, "kurttrail"
    <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:

    >Greg Ro wrote:
    >> On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 19:45:37 -0400, "kurttrail"
    >> <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:

    >>> MS knows about the problems and they don't give a rat's BEEP about
    >>> them.
    >>>
    >>> I'd be willing to bet that they are harder at work closing all the
    >>> loopholes in WGA, than fixing the different reasons that people are
    >>> wrongly denied validation.
    >>
    >> I think Microsoft,bigfix, and oem companies have a contract with each
    >> other to provide direct downloads for bigfix customers. Bigfix has
    >> been preinstalled in lots of computers and has been around for years.
    >> That why I mentioned it.
    >>
    >> They better fix the problem if they don't want a class action lawsuit
    >> or several small claim court actions. I am pretty sure Microsoft is
    >> not that dumb to tick off legit paying customer. If they really can't
    >> fix it. I am sure Microsoft will dump it. You do got to get them
    >> time to fix stuff Kurt.
    >>
    >> There are other workarounds out there but I can't mention them here.
    >> They would not call it a workaround. Bigfix is different and is
    >> legal.
    >>

    >> Greg Ro
    >
    >Give them time to fix what will never do me any good? Why the
    >would I want WGA in the first place working or not?

    No one really want WGA if some MVPS

    >Since WGA does absolutely NOTHING for me, MS should have made
    >sure that it was working BEFORE it was made mandatory!

    They should of done this, however the now they now it need working

    >Give them time to fix it!

    Yes, It takes time to fix problems.

    If I read correctly. It going to get worse if the get wga working
    correctly. The new Microsoft software and non microsoft software may
    make sure you have a wga before installing. I could be wrong. I am
    waiting on another reply. It will also require dotnet installation.

    Here the thread I'm talking about
    http://snipurl.com/gnw5

    Greg R
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Greg Ro wrote:
    > On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 01:05:23 -0400, "kurttrail"
    > <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:
    >
    >> Greg Ro wrote:

    >>> I think Microsoft,bigfix, and oem companies have a contract with
    >>> each other to provide direct downloads for bigfix customers.
    >>> Bigfix has been preinstalled in lots of computers and has been
    >>> around for years. That why I mentioned it.
    >>>
    >>> They better fix the problem if they don't want a class action
    >>> lawsuit or several small claim court actions. I am pretty sure
    >>> Microsoft is not that dumb to tick off legit paying customer. If
    >>> they really can't fix it. I am sure Microsoft will dump it. You
    >>> do got to get them time to fix stuff Kurt.
    >>>
    >>> There are other workarounds out there but I can't mention them here.
    >>> They would not call it a workaround. Bigfix is different and is
    >>> legal.
    >>>

    >>> Greg Ro
    >>
    >> Give them time to fix what will never do me any good? Why the
    >> would I want WGA in the first place working or not?
    >
    > No one really want WGA if some MVPS

    Because it is worthless to the enduser. Why are you being patient about
    giving MS time to fix something you won't ever need?

    MS is like a baseball owner demanding to renegotiate a contract with a
    player that ain't performing well.

    Did you agree to WGA when you accepted the XP EULA?

    MS is a bunch of double-dealing scumbags!

    >> Since WGA does absolutely NOTHING for me, MS should have made
    >> sure that it was working BEFORE it was made mandatory!
    >
    > They should of done this, however the now they now it need working
    >
    >> Give them time to fix it!
    >
    > Yes, It takes time to fix problems.

    I was being facetious.

    MS KNEW how flawed WGA was, and should never made it mandatory in the
    middle of the XP lifecycle.

    > If I read correctly. It going to get worse if the get wga working
    > correctly. The new Microsoft software and non microsoft software may
    > make sure you have a wga before installing. I could be wrong. I am
    > waiting on another reply. It will also require dotnet installation.

    ..NET is pretty funny. MS has said that Security Updates won't be
    affected by WGA, though on Windows and Microsoft Update it is. MS has
    stated that WGA is for addons, but the .NET addon [.NET is certainly NOT
    a security update] does not required WGA to download!

    MS is so goddamned arbitrary about what it considers an addon!

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/Popular.aspx

    The downloads at the above link that have the yellow arrow inside of a
    blue circle require WGA, those that don't have it, don't require WGA.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator